Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 19:17   #3406
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

I have ICICI Fastag and a sunfilm on my front windshield : the RFID scanner at Toll Plaza doesnt read the Tag, mostly because the sunfilm has some magnetic particles (read this long back too), and need to cut a small portion of film where tag would be affixed - but being lazy I havnt done it ! Instead I have been using another external clear sticker to put tag, and whenever needed I remove that out of window and wave to scanner pole - job done!

However I have noticed at many tolls, even waving on both sides of tag few times, the scanner doesnt read the tag, and then operator uses the "gun" to read the tag, which mostly works. However, on some tolls a quick wave does the job instantly, and few "guns" were still unable to read the tag! Strange!

This behavior pattern makes me think - to replace the Tag itself : is that possible to physically replace the tag, but retain all other attributes ?
I have raised a case on ICICI's portal to check for Tag replacement, but no reply since a week.
Old 11th June 2019, 22:05   #3407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
is that possible to physically replace the tag, but retain all other attributes ?
In case you are asking about replacement of tag and getting a duplicate tag, yes it is possible.

More than customer care, I guess the best approach would be to contact ICICI branch which sells tags in your city.
Old 14th June 2019, 21:48   #3408
BHPian

I had plans to travel today (Friday) on a weekend road-trip and on Monday it occured to me that a FASTag would be ideal for this trip. With only 4 days to go every online option of ordering either from Amazon or bank website seemed infeasible since they have a lead time of 10 days approximately for delivery and activation. Every private bank offering FASTag seemed to also have a local point of sale office in Kolkata but limited to only one location and not close enough to my home. Finally stumbled upon SBI option, while online situation is the same as others but local point of sales options are numerous. Further more on their website they have listed each and every agency they have tie up with for FASTag with their office address, email, concerned contact details.

Started calling them one by one and finally hit bulls eye with one agency called NICT. Not only were they superbly helpful by guiding on registration requirements by communicating over WhatsApp and calls (individual FASTag registration form and documents to be supported with) but also issued me a FASTag same day of my visit to their office and also activated it the same day so as to ensure that I can travel next day with an activated FASTag. The DM Mr. Shubhendu also helped me with guidance on how to fix the tag and assured of help if I faced any problem. The standard charges were 400 rupees out of which 200 for the tag and 100 service charges and 100 account balance. Furthermore the SBI online FASTag portal allows to recharge the account from any credit, debit or NetBanking.

Needless to say, FASTag worked absolutely like a charm. I have lumar sunfilm on front windshield and no interference so far.

Happy with SBI FASTag.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 09:32   #3409
BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69796696.cms

This report highlights problems plaguing FASTag at present. I am using FASTag for past one year and I travel mostly in TN (btw Pondy and Kerala) and I have encountered all these problems at various toll booths. Not to mention that the toll stations on ECR between Pondy and Chennai do not have FASTag lanes.
The most troubling part is that some of the toll booths have converted all lanes to hybrid lanes except for one dedicated FASTag lane and identifying the dedicated lane is often difficult. This results in you getting into a hybrid lane and getting stuck with other traffic.
Also, there were a number of instances where the dedicated lane was kept closed and vehicles with FASTag being diverted to other lanes, along with other traffic (at toll stations where there were no hybrid lanes). Also, I am yet to see an 'un-manned' dedicated FASTag lane in any of the toll stations. The entrance to the dedicated lane is usually blocked with something and a staff with verifying whether the car really has FASTag or not, before allowing the car to enter the lane.
Speaks volumes about the utter disregard of the lay public to lane discipline and the need to follow rules.
The only real advantage from the FASTag I appreciate is that I need not carry cash and I need not pull out my wallet at every toll station.
Old 15th June 2019, 10:32   #3410
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this message yesterday, haven't tried the number yet. Looks like a step in right direction.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20190615_095437.png
Old 15th June 2019, 12:10   #3411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
From the link:-
Quote:
but only around 22% of new cars use it in the first month, an internal analysis done last year showed.
I'm a bit puzzled by this. Also, else where, the article mentions Rs. 100 as cost of the tag. The cost mentioned in this thread is Rs.500. Where does balance go?
Our dealer offered Federal Bank tag with the car. Wife being SBI staff, declined, and opted for her own one. Strangely, their internal team needed vehicle VIN etc to dispatch the tag. So, there is a delay here. Plus, to activate the tag, they need a copy of the RC. Which will take at least 3 weeks. So the one month period quoted above is gone. Am I missing something?
We have not taken the vehicle to any toll so far.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 15th June 2019 at 12:11.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:20   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Also, else where, the article mentions Rs. 100 as cost of the tag. The cost mentioned in this thread is Rs.500. Where does balance go?
When I bought Paytm Fastag in 2017, I paid Rs.500 (Tag price 200, Refundable Security Deposit 250, Threshold amount which added to wallet 150). Total comes to Rs.600 but they gave Rs.100 was discount I guess. When I sold the car and deactivated Fastag, I got Rs.400 back (250+150).

I bought ICICI Fastag in March this year and I paid Rs.449.56 (Fastag price 49.56, Refundable Security Deposit 200, Tag Upload 200).
Old 15th June 2019, 13:01   #3413
BHPian

An analysis on FASTag & its efficiency.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-69796697.jpg

• FASTag is more popular among truckers with data showing 36% of new commercial vehicles use it in the first three months, but only around 22% of new cars use it in the first month.
  • While booth operators are empowered to levy twice the toll amount as penalty on drivers who enter the FASTag lane without a tag, they seldom do so.
  • NHAI rules allow a free ride in case FASTag doesn’t work at a plaza. Most drivers don’t know this rule or do not have the time to lodge a claim.

For more details - Why sticking a FASTag doesn’t guarantee a smooth tolling experience

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 15th June 2019 at 13:10.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 08:19   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
[*]NHAI rules allow a free ride in case FASTag doesn’t work at a plaza. Most drivers don’t know this rule or do not have the time to lodge a claim.
Can you guide with how to raise the refund process, in a toll plaza while entering Odisha I was told FASTag not working although advertised and I had to pay in cash.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 00:25   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Can you guide with how to raise the refund process, in a toll plaza while entering Odisha I was told FASTag not working although advertised and I had to pay in cash.
Not quite sure, to be honest. You could try tweeting or e-mailing the related bank with a scan of your toll ticket and other details (FASTag Id & toll booth info). I remember reading that this had worked for another bhpian who had a similar problem.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 04:25   #3416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4406051 (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!)

This is what I had to do on ICICI Fastag
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 08:12   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Did you initiate a dispute for claiming refund of toll paid in cash inspite of having fastag enabled at the toll?
Old 22nd June 2019, 09:44   #3418
BHPian

I am now checking my transaction details more carefuly after i found that I got charged twice in Bagepalli toll plaza.
This happened twice and I am confused about the extra rates they charge. I use one side and the regular charge is Rs 90. First time I was charged Rs 220 as an extra transaction. This rate cannot be of a car.
Next week I was charged 50. This might be under the assumption that I have taken a return journey within the next 4 minutes?

I am using the tag issued by Equitas and have raised a dispute. Waiting for response.

Qn - Does the issuing agency matter with respect to how efficiently the tag gets scanned etc?

I am not happy about recharging the Equitas fastag. They charge me etc if I use netbanking. They have an option for using their upi payment but seeing lots of complaints in google play store.
Thinking of switching to either paytm or icici. With respect to ease of scan Is icici better than paytm? Any other feedback?

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 22nd June 2019 at 09:56.
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:13   #3419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Thinking of switching to either paytm or icici. With respect to ease of scan Is icici better than paytm? Any other feedback?
I have been using ICICI Fastag. used it on my trip from JAI-DEL-CHD-mussoorie trip. No problems. I have an ICICI bank account, they provide feature of direct from your account via standing instructions.

This means, I never have to worry about balance in my tag. ICICI can be ordered online at https://fastaglogin.icicibank.com/CU...N/Default.aspx and it gets to you within 7 days. My suggestion would be to try ICICI bank.
gary4gar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 13:20   #3420
BHPian

I ordered Axis Bank 'Fastag' online, late evening on 23rd June and got it delivered at Chennai on 25th; Quite fast.

However, I had difficulty of logging in to the account from the time of ordering. Initially I thought it may be due to the new account. But when the issue was continuing even after a day, I contacted customer care and was informed I have to use the Google Chrome browser for logging in (Although I use a Chrome based browser). But later realized that I was able to log in using the wallet ID and not by phone number etc. (if it cannot be used why unnecessarily have it in the login screen and annoy users!)

Today, tried recharging the account through IMPS of Another bank and could do that instantly. Now only thing that remains in how much the tag is going to be useful on the road.

I find, out of Rs 300 that I paid for the tag, Rs 100 was charged for the tag and Rs 200 as security deposit; Do the banks charge any security deposit for the 'Bank Neutral' tags issued by Fastag?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks