Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2018, 11:54   #2896
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
SBI FASTAG: My Experience
SBI FASTAG: My Experience-Part 2
With the FASTag pasted on my windshield, I was eager to use it at tolls. Last Sunday, on my way out of Bengaluru, I encountered a jam at the FASTag lane in the Nelamangala Flyover because a nincompoop in a Versa had entered the lane and ended up in a scuffle with the security. When I reached the booth, the barrier was already open. I was waved across. However, no deduction happened (verified later). At the next three tolls enroute Chennarayapatna, security checked for the presence of Tag and made way by moving the barricades. I crossed them without any hassles. Each time, the SMS confirming the deduction came after about ten minutes.

After my first run with the tag, the verdict on SBI FASTag (and FASTag in general) remains positive for me.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 10:27   #2897
Senior - BHPian

NHAI to popularise FASTags: Soon you may buy them at a petrol pump near you.

Betting big on technology for a seamless highway ride, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) will soon tie up with oil marketing companies for selling FASTags, as the authority is of the view that easy availability of these tags would lead to greater usage and less congestion on roads.

Quote:
The authority has also received an in-principle approval from Indian Oil Corporation for selling RFID (Radio Frequency identification technology) tags at its petrol pumps. NHAI believes the easy availability of these tags would drive the number of FASTag users, currently between 15 per cent and 25 per cent across 462 toll plazas in the country.

Currently, only NHAI empanelled banks including SBI, ICICI, Axis, Federal and Syndicate sell these RFID-enabled tags. If the move delivers favourable results the authority would explore another channel to increase FASTag penetration but the challenge with the NHAI is to delink the existing banks from its software that would enable other avenues to sell these tags.
News Source : https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2800403_1.html
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 11:29   #2898
Distinguished - BHPian

Along with the push to make Fastag more popular, easy to buy and use, hope there is an effort to proportionately increase dedicated Fastag lanes. There has been good progress on this front with some tolls having multiple hybrid lanes. But I think it should slowly move to a model where there are only one or 2 dedicated manual lanes and rest all are dedicated Fastag.

With the trucker community starting to adopt Fastag in a big way, in my last 2-3 drives, there has always been a long line of trucks at the dedicated Fastag lane-Even when the rest of the lanes are not crowded. So to serve the purpose of actually moving quickly through the toll-At least on a few occasions, I have gone into a manual or a hybrid lane.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 12:30   #2899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Along with the push to make Fastag more popular, easy to buy and use, hope there is an effort to proportionately increase dedicated Fastag lanes.
Very true! Although there were many news reports since the last 1 year to make all lanes have FASTag, we still have to see the consistent implementation and I can see it only in few select toll booths so far.

Surprisingly, even the NBTL booth towards Tumkur (Parle Factory) has one dedicated lane and that too with a hand-held scanner and the manager of the same booth had once told Deccan Herald newspaper that all booths are now FASTag enabled. Reality even today is different.

Quote:
With the trucker community starting to adopt Fastag in a big way, in my last 2-3 drives, there has always been a long line of trucks at the dedicated Fastag lane-Even when the rest of the lanes are not crowded.
This has become the biggest irritant. But since the day FASTag was every launched, it is the truckers and buses which are using it at maximum compared to cars. It is only now that these come during delivery of a new car that we see user base increasing.

The true picture is seen when one drives through the night and realised how its just buses and more buses along with trucks using FASTag.

Just see how difficult it was for me to pass this booth (Nelamangala JAS) when there was only one dedicated lane, at 0500AM and while entering Bangalore:

....and I paid cash here!

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th August 2018 at 12:47. Reason: drive->drives
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 20:24   #2900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Very true! Although there were many news reports since the last 1 year to make all lanes have FASTag, we still have to see the consistent implementation and I can see it only in few select toll booths so far.

....and I paid cash here!
That was bad! Its very difficult to get into the fastag lane with traffic like that too.
Here is an example of my bad experience - somewhere on the Coimbatore - Salem - Vellore highway.
Fastag issues for the truck in front of me and another delay as I changed lanes and waited for the handheld scanner. Total time is 5 minutes - should have been under 1 minute.
This happened multiple times on this highway trip.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 29th August 2018 at 20:51.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 12:31   #2901
Distinguished - BHPian

If they are successful in implementing this, I really don't need my FASTag. Someone then help me on how quickly I can become a VIP or a Judge.

Separate Lanes For VIPs, Judges At Toll Plazas Across India, Orders Court

And will putting this sticker on my Windscreen help if I remove FASTag?

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-download.jpeg

Image Source: LINK

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th August 2018 at 12:33.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 18:15   #2902
BHPian

There is also a problem that when you approach a toll-booth, you have to actively look out for the "Fastag" lane and turn towards (or away from) the Fastag lane.

One simple thing that the government can do is standardize and make the right-most lane as Fastag enabled, and the second right most lane as hybrid, and so on.
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 18:36   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
There is also a problem that when you approach a toll-booth, you have to actively look out for the "Fastag" lane and turn towards (or away from) the Fastag lane.

One simple thing that the government can do is standardize and make the right-most lane as Fastag enabled, and the second right most lane as hybrid, and so on.
In most of the places it is on the second last lane to the left, while approaching a toll.
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:26   #2904
BHPian

I have an equitas fast tag from last year and have uploaded the KYC documents online. However started receiving below messages from last month. Seems we have to go into a branch and submit the same documents again. Anyone has done this for equitas?

"Dear Customer-Your Equitas FASTag wallet opened date is 07/09/2017. In terms of latest guidelines of RBI, Kindly produce your Original ID and Address Proof for verification to our nearest branch and provide a self-attached copy of the said documents on or before 07/09/2018 to continue loading and usage of the FASTag. Our nearest branch may be ascertained by visiting http://goo.gl/SnFfBd."
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:58   #2905

Last week, on our way to Chennai from Bangalore and back, FastTag lane was the slowest lane at almost all toll plazas.

Multiple times I decided to pay cash instead of waiting unnecessarily in the queue, wasting fuel.

The 2 barricade system in place is one of the main reasons for long queues, followed by non tag users entering the dedicated lane.

To top it all, the placement of the dedicated lane differs from toll booth to toll booth - sometimes its lane 1, sometimes lane 4 and so on. By the time you navigate the crowd and hit the right lane, you've already lost time and then you wait longer than non fast tag lanes to reach your turn.

The entire implementation seems to be halfheartedly done and what I don't understand is why can't we learn from others? It's not like such tag systems were invented first in India. Why can't the authorities check out how it's done in other countries. Is that really necessary to reinvent the wheel?

Anyways, I've decided to use fasttag lane only when the lane is clear, else I will pay cash and be going. This whole Fasttag business is a total nonsense and a waste of time, in its current form. Your thoughts?
Archie81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:44   #2906
Senior - BHPian

What is the effect of harsh sunlight falling directly on a FasTag? For instance, in a car parked in open for long hours - as is wont with mine. Will the performance / readability be adversely affected in case of long exposure?

I cross tolls only occasionally. I have the option of removing the tag (wrapped in a transparent cover and stuck on the windshield ) and safekeeping it when not in use. Hence the query.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 07:57   #2907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
What is the effect of harsh sunlight falling directly on a FasTag? For instance, in a car parked in open for long hours - as is wont with mine. Will the performance / readability be adversely affected in case of long exposure?
RFID tags are of metallic and solid state content, hence if the car glass can withstand a certain temperature, the tag also can do the same. Only adverse effect is that over time the plastic backing can develop cracks, but the tag will still remain intact since the metal antenna can flex a bit, unless one tries to peel it off. That is the reason its meant for permanent application on the windshield.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:42   #2908
BHPian

Has anyone procured and used FasTag through PayTM? How has your experience been?

I have just ordered one through PayTM and wanted to check.
Old 4th September 2018, 10:01   #2909
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Has anyone procured and used FasTag through PayTM? How has your experience been?

I am now using PayTM fasTAG on all my cars, works fine. you just need to keep a balance of INR 150 per fasTAG in your payTM esle it keeps on giving some irritating messages - overall I still find it the best one and most fuss free out of all.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 10:08   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

yes, . Experience has been good. Except for delivery issues you will not have any problem. Always keep some amount in PayTM wallet. You will not face any issues.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed