Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2016, 11:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Close shaves everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
This thread started TEN years back and is still relevant. This says a lot about the road manners in India.
Now even highways are becoming more dangerous than ever due to constant widening work which anyways is delayed by few years.
Highways are far more dangerous than normal roads. Reason being: people have a free rein to do what ever they want, and it is aggravated with higher speeds. Cuts and swaying become rampant. I am sure, if these highways were extended to 6 lanes per side, people would still go ballistic, like they usually do..!
Old 16th March 2016, 13:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

On a well marked 4 lane expressway , on a gentle curve were in the first place pedestrians have no business being on the road , I would not completely agree with you.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is an Indian 'expressway'..

Agreed that pedestrians are definitely wrong to be there. No doubt about that
Lets add some more flavor to the 'Indian Expressway'

What if there was a big rock(s) left on the blind curve (possible due to some careless broken down motorist). For that matter even a vehicle broken down
What if a part of the railing/divider is protruding in due to accident/broken infrastructure
What about road undulations/crack/big gaping hole in the lane due to shabby constructions
What about stupid motorist coming on the wrong direction with high beams
What about animals?

if you seriously think about it, none of the above should be theoretically valid/allowed, but there are all possible and very much encountered on our roads day in and day out.

With so many variables out of our control, its totally on us to maintain a wide safety berth in driving (overtaking specially). No amount of blaming the faulty person/variable is going to compensate own agony after the unfortunate happens.

Enough said. You already acknowledged all these observations
Old 16th March 2016, 14:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Yes, agree to blaming the Innova drive is not right since I shouldn't depend on him on what is ahead.
Another issue is the typical reaction the Innova driver would have received if he asked someone to slow down because of obstacles ahead.

The other day, in Mumbai, while driving in choc-o-bloc traffic on the WEH - an Accord was tailgating me (and others depending on which lane he managed to swerve into) coupled with incessant honking.
A few minutes into it, I just raised my hand asking him where can I go (given it was very slow moving traffic). An innocent gesture like that resulted in him trying to push me of the road, coupled with swearing, etc.
Thankfully it didn't prevail for too long (as he took an exit), but if he did - I may have been posting this on the road rage thread after losing my cool.

Bangalore, IIRC, has worse road rage - so I won't be surprised if the Innova driver was just playing safe.

Sadly, there are very few roads that are truly safe and well built. The others, well - it's better to cruise and drive defensively. Not only is it less stressful, but it is better for your car, and wallet too!
It might take a couple of minutes longer, but at the end of the day - it all evens out.

Heck - even on the Mum-Pune expressway, & freeway I've noticed cows crossing / strolling across the road!
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:39   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's one that is not really a close shave that could have resulted in an accident but I almost killed a Puppy! The last 20 seconds is where the action is.

paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks