Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 19:39   #16

re: RTO Driving Test with an Automatic Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
AFAIK, there is not provision to pass the driving test in an automatic geared car in India.

You have to pass the test in a manual tranny car and i guess only the handicapped are allowed to pass the test in automatics or something like that.

Maybe this will change with the greater proliferation of automatics (AMTs) in the market and we will have the same tests as in other major markets.
Thanks DicKy. Are you saying this with first hand information? Were you or someone you knew turned away because they appeared for a test in AT? Or are you saying this based on what is quoted in Rule 15 of MVA 1988?

Clearly folks here seem to have had experiences that is telling about the inconsistency in the rule being enforced, and it appears very subjective.
Old 21st March 2016, 20:00   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirupesh View Post
Thanks DicKy. Are you saying this with first hand information? Were you or someone you knew turned away because they appeared for a test in AT? Or are you saying this based on what is quoted in Rule 15 of MVA 1988?
Well, its rather the norm. Haven't heard of anyone arriving for the test in an automatic. Most of the people pass the test in manual and after getting their license start to drive automatics.
Its actually a grey area as there is no mention of whether LMVs should have manual or automatics, but technically the instructor looks at how we upshift and downshift according to the traffic conditions. So yes. You need a manual car to pass the tests, unless the government brings a new class of 'LMV ungeared.'

Till then, one has to pass the test in a manual am afraid.

(On a side note, the most stringent of tests , at least in Kerala includes a 'H' test and drive a short distance on a public road, deserted roads probably. So you would be able to learn manual in a couple of weeks, pass the test and back to automatics after the test. After all its in the daily grind that automatics come to the rescue)
Old 21st March 2016, 20:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well, its rather the norm. Haven't heard of anyone arriving for the test in an automatic. Most of the people pass the test in manual and after getting their license start to drive automatics.
Its actually a grey area as there is no mention of whether LMVs should have manual or automatics, but technically the instructor looks at how we upshift and downshift according to the traffic conditions. So yes. You need a manual car to pass the tests, unless the government brings a new class of 'LMV ungeared.'

Till then, one has to pass the test in a manual am afraid.

(On a side note, the most stringent of tests , at least in Kerala includes a 'H' test and drive a short distance on a public road, deserted roads probably. So you would be able to learn manual in a couple of weeks, pass the test and back to automatics after the test. After all its in the daily grind that automatics come to the rescue)
Thank you. Clearly there is inconsistency in different RTOs. Let's see if others have had different experiences.

There's a long story on why I need to take my DL test in AT and not in MT, I'll save that for another post
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:53   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: RTO Driving Test with an Automatic Transmission?

Go ahead with your AT car, but don't bring it up yourself. Why ask when you know it's a 50:50 situation. I know of some people who've gotten their licence with an AT at the Tardeo RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Interesting, USA doesn't have such classification or restriction, one can drive either a Manual or automatic car with a Car license.
Easy to understand why - there are no manuals in the USA .

If you pass the test in an AT, that's fine as 99% of the cars there are AT anyway. If you pass the test in an MT, well, that means you'll easily be able to drive an AT.

Either way, the public isn't at harm!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:06   #20
BHPian

An year back I was at the RTO to give my driving test to get my 2-wheeler license on my Vespa, but had applied for a geared 2-wheeler license.

With me was a lady in her Brio AT but she had applied for a geared license too.

She was refused one, I wasn't. Both were through agents. So its quite whimsical & unpredictable on the part of RTO.
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

I can give driving test in Activa, pass, get DL and is eligible to ride Bullet. Why can't I give test in AT car and then be eligible to drive MT? IMO, changing gears is very small part of driving and RTO should not be concerned.

I think it is because there is less of AT cars. When there is critical mass for ATs, then RTOs would be fine. Till then I would suggest taking an MT car for test.
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:27   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I can give driving test in Activa, pass, get DL and is eligible to ride Bullet.
Nope. Legally, motorcycle with and without are two distinct categories. You have to take tests for each separately. The DL has two endorsements: MCWOG, MCWG.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting thread - thanks to the OP.

This brings out yet another antiquated aspect of the laws in India. At some point in our history, it might have been a reasonable assumption, that everyone would drive a manual, so should need learn how to handle the Gear and Clutch combo. But today, there are many of us, who don't even want to touch a Manual Transmission car. It is not as if these people can't drive, or drive any lesser than others.

A case for another Change.org petition perhaps!
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Nope. Legally, motorcycle with and without are two distinct categories. You have to take tests for each separately. The DL has two endorsements: MCWOG, MCWG.
I got mixed up with 50cc MCWOG & MCWOG. Thanks for correcting. BTW, I got my MCWG license on Bajaj Chetak. But I bought a bike later
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Easy to understand why - there are no manuals in the USA .

If you pass the test in an AT, that's fine as 99% of the cars there are AT anyway. If you pass the test in an MT, well, that means you'll easily be able to drive an AT.

Either way, the public isn't at harm!
True, if someone doesnt know how to drive a manual they probably wont be able to get the car out of the parking lot so no harm indeed
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

The MVI who'd conducted my road test categorically denied having an option to use an LMV with AT for license tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
True, if someone doesnt know how to drive a manual they probably wont be able to get the car out of the parking lot so no harm indeed
Yea, they say the best anti-theft device in the US of A is a "stick-shift" :P
It did remind me of this post I'd made long ago
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well, I don't think the MV act has a provision to issue license for exclusively driving a automatic 4 wheeler. It's a tricky situation.
Here's what you could do:
  • Going Through a driving school agent might help
  • I don't want to advice any other possible method

In the same breath, I should add that I know quite a lot of people who have for licence for geared 2 wheeler even though they only drove an automatic scooter for testing purposes.
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:09   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

When I gave my driving test, I had applied for Motor-Cycle with Gear but I was never used to riding one. I just wanted a licence for gearless bike. But since at a later stage I would have to reappear for a test, the driving school guys told me to get one for a geared bike. I had to borrow a persons bike at the test venue and somehow managed to go for a round since I was used to clutch and gear in the car. I was not allowed to appear for the test in a gearless scooter.
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:14   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

How does the inspector know that you are in an AT car?

Atleast in the Rajajinagar RTO(KA-02) where i got my DL, the inspector does not accompany you round the track. He sits at a distance and observes how you traverse the circuit. Unless you disclose he cannot know.

So if there is no one in the passenger seat, i think you can go ahead with an AT car and 'fool' the inspector .LOL

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 23rd March 2016 at 14:16.
Old 16th May 2016, 16:15   #30

UPDATE: My wife and I borrowed a friend's AT car for a driving test in KA51 (Bangalore) two weeks ago and got our license without any issues. The driving inspector didn't even sit with me or my wife while we drove, we were just asked to drive straight, make a U turn and come back. Simple enough!

That being said, it appears that the letter of the law still states that it is imperative to test driving, gear change, clutch, and park ability to issue a new DL so in theory it should not be possible to get a DL in an AT car, until they introduce an LMV-AT category like they do in two wheelers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks