Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 13:49   #31
BHPian

re: Zoomcar Hit and Run! What to do? Update - Zoomcar responds

A follow up mail from ZoomCar CEO again (I consolidated the details and sent him once again):

"Just wanted to follow back up to indicate that we're officially in touch with the authorities who are taking the necessary action on their side."

Hope the poor victims get some justice.
kaushik_ak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post
Suffice to say, this customer is blacklisted from ever booking a Zoomcar again. We will cooperate with any and all authorities that investigate this incident (as we have done in the past when other unfortunate situations arise).
What nonsense is that? Blacklisting him from ever hiring a Zoomcar again? Big deal!

If the authorities don't go to them to investigate, but the two wheeler rider succumbs, what will they do? Sit tight?
Old 14th May 2015, 14:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

If the car had not met with an accident and if a 3rd party complains, not sure what the renting agency can do. If the 3rd party complains to the authorities, its different. Isn't it?
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 09:54   #34
BHPian

Another update,

Got a call from Mr Salil, from ZoomCar India yesterday evening. He informed that two days back, the authorities have been informed about this incident. The driver, it seems has agreed to pay for the victims' medical expenses, in the presence of the authorities (local police).

This is what we ultimately wanted, but I would have to validate if this information is true. Understandably, I neither have the details of the driver nor the victim.
kaushik_ak is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 10:42   #35
BHPian

Re: Zoomcar Hit and Run! What to do? Update - Zoomcar responds

Unfortunately in this particular instance I believe we are expecting too much from Zoomcar.

They are only the owners and all their information about the accident is just hearsay. Even if the accident resulted in serious injury or death a formal complaint cannot be lodged by the carowner. At best it will amount to information about an incident which has come to the notice of the police in the course of investigation - and even then Zoomcar and their staff will have nothing to directly contribute except circumstantial evidence (car GPS indicated it was in the vicinity of acccident, speed reading shows it was doing xx kmph, etc.). I dont mean to appear on a high horse but the eyewitness had a stronger ground to lodge a complaint than zoomcar.
Kumar R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 11:27   #36
BHPian

Hi Kumar R, I understand your point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
I dont mean to appear on a high horse but the eyewitness had a stronger ground to lodge a complaint than zoomcar.
However, with only the last 4 digits of a car, and knowing me very well that it is a Zoomcar, do you expect our authorities to investigate and take concrete action. If you see what I had done, the first step taken was to inform the local police, only then did Zoomcar come into picture, asking them for help on this whole investigation. They have the right information (Driver info/speed/location) to back up with, and that is the most critical piece of information, which normal people like us do not have access to.
kaushik_ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 11:51   #37
BHPian

Hi Kaushik, There was nothing more that you could have done. Now that the police know about the accident from an eyewitness and have some leads (car make, that it's a zoomcar, some digits of licence plate) it's their duty to take cognisance and investigate, call for info from Zoomcars, etc.
From Zoomcars perspective I feel it is bit harsh to expect them to be proactive except to speedily respond to queries from police. They certainly should not take any action against the driver purely on the basis of news reports and well-intentioned facebook/email leads from people like us (that would be very presumptive on their part), at least not till the police investigation is over and a closure report / chargesheet prepared.
The sad bit is that most of the time, save in cases of death, police apathy and disinterest (for whatever reason) lead to no action - even in cases where evidence against the accused is watertight.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Zoomcars perspective I feel it is bit harsh to expect them to be proactive except to speedily respond to queries from police. They certainly should not take any action against the driver purely on the basis of news reports and well-intentioned facebook/email leads from people like us (that would be very presumptive on their part), at least not till the police investigation is over and a closure report / chargesheet prepared.
After the police investigation is over, what action do you expect Zoomcar to take? Would'nt it then be out of Zoomcar's scope and in the domain of our judicial system?

Also, having been informed about an accident by a witness, should'nt Zoomcar inform the authorities in writing giving the information that they have?

Having knowledge of a crime committed by someone driving their vehicles, is'nt it the responsibility of the vehicle owner to intimate the police, rather than wait for the police to approach it?
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 16:24   #39
BHPian

Like I said the information available to zoomcar is just hearsay. It's not 'knowledge of a crime' as you mention. No employee of zoomcar was present or witnessed the accident. Zoomcar cannot verify the authenticity or accuracy of the information nor does it know the motives / trustworthiness of the informants. To name someone as an accused in such a serious crime based solely on an email or FB post from a stranger would, IMO, be a bit rash. For all they know, the informant might have made a mistake with the number, may have seen a logo similar to the zoomcar decal, may simply be a former customer angry at having to pay for a dent, or worse could be a corporate rival upto some mischief.

In any event zoomcar is not the police or an official intermediary. They are just in a contractual relationship with the accused. the most they can do is to penalise the driver for wrongful use of the car - provided it is so proven (thats why I mentioned the chargesheet). Of course, like anyone else they are bound to answer any questions the police may have in the course of a potential investigation.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2015 at 16:36. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for readability. THanks.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 16:49   #40
BHPian

Hi Kumar R,

Quote:
It's not 'knowledge of a crime' as you mention. No employee of zoomcar was present or witnessed the accident. Zoomcar cannot verify the authenticity or accuracy of the information nor does it know the motives / trustworthiness of the informants. To name someone as an accused in such a serious crime based solely on an email or FB post from a stranger would, IMO, be a bit rash
Isn't your point a bit far fetched! Expecting a Zoomcar employee to witness every incident that happens on road. There are two things we have to make use of.

1. Take all information that an eye witness provides.
2. Validate it with the technology available.

I don't think a previous driver who has used a Zoomcar earlier would plot a conspiracy to take revenge for extra rupees for a dent he created. I cant imagine such things happening in Indian movies too

Let us not deviate from the original intention, and bring irrational cases of letting away a legitimate attempt to capture an accused.

About misunderstanding Zoomcar decals with something else, FYI, it does not come under purview of this case as Zoomcar themselves have confirmed that there was a car that was being driven at that particular instant at that particular place.

Needless to repeat again to keep the intention and direction of this thread focused, in the best interest of the feedback that we as a responsible forum can provide to other similar establishments, at different levels.

A mere FB post/random mail is never taken seriously, unless it gets validated with proof and technology definitely helps, we have moved way beyond live "witnesses". Let us acknowledge this fact.

Last edited by kaushik_ak : 15th May 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Update
kaushik_ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 17:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post
Another update,

Got a call from Mr Salil, from ZoomCar India yesterday evening. He informed that two days back, the authorities have been informed about this incident. The driver, it seems has agreed to pay for the victims' medical expenses, in the presence of the authorities (local police).

This is what we ultimately wanted, but I would have to validate if this information is true. Understandably, I neither have the details of the driver nor the victim.
Thanks for the updated.

One doubt that creeps up my mind is why did they call up personally to inform this and not put this in writing by replying on a mail.
Lets assume what they told you over the phone is actually what has happened, since zoomcar has been reasonably co-operative in the entire incident.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 11:58   #42
BHPian

Hi Vinit,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
One doubt that creeps up my mind is why did they call up personally to inform this and not put this in writing by replying on a mail.
Lets assume what they told you over the phone is actually what has happened, since zoomcar has been reasonably co-operative in the entire incident.
I too had the same concern. But then, as you said, Zoomcar has been reasonably co operative on the entire incident.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:24   #43
BHPian

Zoom Car Morons!

Yes, there is a thread on Zoom Cars but I am determined to start a new thread where individuals can post pics of Zoom Cars being driven recklessly to report the same to the company to take some action against this new trend of drivers who care a hoot about general public and also the machines they drive (coz they don't own it!!!)

Sharing my experience through the compliant I raised through their Facebook page... Not sure what action has been taken against the driver.
Attached Images

vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 14:37   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh I have been a victim of these Zoom car maniacs. Its starting to become a new menace on our roads. There was this Zoom Scorpio which was being driven extremely rashly on the ring road. It was night time and this maniac was driving with high beam on and tailgating me and every other car on the road in a very intimidating manner.

I have also seen many Zoom car drivers parking their cars haphazardly and in no parking zones. I think the fact that these are rental cars, makes the drivers think that no parking and speeding fines will not be traced back to them.

I understand its hard for a car rental company to control the way their cars are driven. But I am sure they can come up with ways to maintain proper driving discipline. They do have a speed limit penalty for crossing 125 kph I believe. I hope they come up with a system where the speed limit within city limits is set at something like 60 kph. And hand out life time bans for customers who violate traffic regulations.
Old 10th June 2015, 14:49   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

I have also seen many Zoom car drivers parking their cars haphazardly and in no parking zones. I think the fact that these are rental cars, makes the drivers think that no parking and speeding fines will not be traced back to them.
They should do what Rental Companies do abroad. Impose a large service charge for providing details to the authorities

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks