Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:19   #211
BHPian

Re: Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection

E-Toll Goes Live Across 275 Toll Plazas Across India From Monday 2th April 2016; RFID Will Save Rs 60,000 Crore
Source: http://trak.in/tags/business/2016/04...ll-plaza-rfid/

National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has announced that the much anticipated e-toll facility would be made live effective April 25th, across India. 275 toll plazas have been equipped with Radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology, which will directly debit the toll charges from the passing vehicles.

Thus, the long awaited dream of non-stop drive across Indian highways is now a reality.

Termed as FASTag, this new e-toll facility will save approximately Rs 60,000 crore per year, as this much amount is currently wasted owing to long waiting queues at different toll plazas. India has 350 toll plazas as of now; and within a year, FASTag enabled e-toll would be rolled out across the remaining toll plazas as well.

Where To Buy FASTag?

NHAI has only designated ICICI Bank and Axis Bank to sell FASTags for consumers, besides purchasing them directly from the toll plaza. A one time charge of Rs 200 is applicable while purchasing FASTag; and minimum recharge is Rs 100, whereas maximum recharge can be Rs 1 lakh, in multiples of 100.

Interestingly, the recharge can only be done online using ICICI and Axis Bank’s gateways, as NHAI has not partnered with mobile wallets for the same. This is indeed one of the mysterious decisions, as mobile wallets could have made the process easier.

Here is the complete list of those toll plazas, where e-toll would be activated effective April 25th.

Instructions for Using FASTags

Every toll plaza will have several dedicated ‘FASTag Lanes’, which would be visible from atleast 70 meters to the driver.

NHAI has said that drivers should slow down and enter the designated FASTag lane at a speed of 25-30 km/hr. As soon as the sensor reads the RFID tag, it will turn green, and the boom barrier would be lifted to allow the passage.

In case the light is red, then it means that either that FASTag is blacklisted or it has insufficient amount. In that case, driver needs to pay by cash. Users would also receive instant SMS alerts for toll deductions and low balance.

Besides, NHAI has updated instructions for installing the FASTag on the windshield, and instructions for the toll operators on their website.

To promote usage of FASTags, Govt. is also giving 10% cashback on all recharges done within the financial year 2016-17. The cashback (inspired by ecommerce?) shall reflect in the account at the end of the month.
Attached Thumbnails
Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-etoll-pic.jpg  

Last edited by GetLife : 22nd April 2016 at 10:23. Reason: formatting
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Was going through the list of tolls where the FastTag is accepted on the ICICI website and found there are 4 tolls on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. I assume the two additional tolls are of the old Mumbai Pune highway and not of the expressway. Can anyone confirm this?

Also no mention of the validity of the Fast tag and the list of the tolls where the Fast tag lane is operational as of now on the ICICI website. If I have to recharge an amount on the Fast Tag, how would I know the toll amounts unless I pass through the toll? Would it not be better if the websites also show the toll amount making customers take a calculated approach during recharging?
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:13   #213
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Government gives 10@% cash back, but charges 14.5% service tax + convenience fee as per ICICI website.
Convenience fee is applicable even if fastag is recharged by NEFT transfer
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:32   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Government gives 10@% cash back, but charges 14.5% service tax + convenience fee as per ICICI website.
Convenience fee is applicable even if fastag is recharged by NEFT transfer
The service tax is on the fees (one time) and the convenience fees (card recharge) and not on the amount of recharge.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:59   #215
Senior - BHPian

Recharged at icici - no Cashback. Charged amount as usual.

On BLR-Ulundurpet route Thoppur & the next one refused Fastag - had to pay cash. The rest let me thru but I suspect I was not charged
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:05   #216
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The service tax is on the fees (one time) and the convenience fees (card recharge) and not on the amount of recharge.
ICICI website says
*Service tax will be levied on all the prescribed fees & charges at the applicable rates.

Prescribed fee may one one time initial tag deposit.
What are the charges?
Not only NEFT, even RTGS, Credit card, debit card, net banking also attracts convenience fee
Attached Thumbnails
Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-fastag.jpg  

rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:47   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Update from morning today - I took the "pass" lane and rolled down the windows as soon as I was nearing the boom barrier - for the routine banter - but lo and behold, the gate opened and let me through. I received an SMS forty minutes later. This is the first time this has worked like I expect it always should!
The only place I intend to use FasTag regularly is the E-City gates and the system here is as unreliable as possible - works once in a blue moon. The chap manning the gate says there could be a server problem as the system is usually not working. I think there is more to it than appears

BTW, an interesting question and answer in the FAQ section reads thus,

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-fastagfaq.jpg

I don't think this will work, unless there is a means to verify the balance in real-time. When I mentioned this on my last trip to EC, the supervisor asked me to contact ICICI

In the meanwhile, today's local daily carried a much needed quarter pager on FasTag ...

Government launches 'FASTag' - Electronic Toll Collection-fastagdh.jpg

Last edited by pannags : 24th April 2016 at 00:01.
pannags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 17:13   #218
BHPian

One basic doubt: If there is insufficient balance detected once the Fastag equipped car enters the stipulated lane, and if asked to pay by cash, won't it hold up other Fastag cars behind?
Old 24th April 2016, 17:55   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
One basic doubt: If there is insufficient balance detected once the Fastag equipped car enters the stipulated lane, and if asked to pay by cash, won't it hold up other Fastag cars behind?
Yes, definitely. In fact, even now when the gates don't open, there are cars queuing up behind. The same thing with non-users taking FasTag lane.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 22:44   #220
BHPian

I didn't see the Mumbai entry tolls listed. Has anyone used this in these tolls? Sea link and expressway are good additions but Mumbai entry would be critical for someone like me.

Also, on weekends and holidays, the toll line on the expressway extends to 1km and above. How will they manage I wonder if only 70m is gonna be there... wouldn't be helpful.
Old 25th April 2016, 12:37   #221
BHPian

One question to you folks, I have a pass issued by BETL (Bangalore Elevated Tollway Limited) that I use to enter and exit Electronic City. I noticed that the RFID lane at Electronic City is also named as Fastag. Will this pass work on the Fastag readers across the country or will I have to buy a new pass for usage at other toll plazas across the country?
Old 25th April 2016, 12:56   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
One question to you folks, I have a pass issued by BETL (Bangalore Elevated Tollway Limited) that I use to enter and exit Electronic City. I noticed that the RFID lane at Electronic City is also named as Fastag. Will this pass work on the Fastag readers across the country or will I have to buy a new pass for usage at other toll plazas across the country?
I have both.

BETL only works on the elevated highway between Ecity & Silk Board. THink it does not work at Attibele nowadays

So, if you want to use for other toll plazas, you need to get ICICI Fastag.

Also, if you have both, a lot of times the system gets very confused. It reduced balance from both accounts even though the BETL folks said theirs will be deducted on priority if the system detected both.

My suggestion, get the BETL balance to zero and switch to Fastag.

That being said, the BETL one works flawlessly on BETL. Fastag - not so well.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 14:02   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
Few days back when i when with the ICICI FASTAG in E-CIty PH2 exit, they said this tag is not accepted, looks like it works only on the exit towards Hosur. check with the people at PH-2 Exit before you buy the Fastag RFID.
PMK-MoJo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 22:44   #224
BHPian

I have a question regarding FASTag usage at e city elevated highway (Bangalore). The existing BETL RFID charges Rs 45 for the first journey and Rs 20 for the second - free multiple entries from then till midnight. Any idea if the same is applicable for FASTag as well?
Old 26th April 2016, 05:24   #225
BHPian

The Fastag system on the Bangalore airport to city lane is not functioning. On reaching the entrance to the Fastag lane the security guard diverted me to the adjacent cash line. At the booth the supervisor appeared and allowed me to pass through free of cast. Since I am a daily commuter on this route, I should recover my investment in the Rs 500 investment in the Fastag in 4 days!!!!.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed