Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 14:44   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Their wordings are a little vague but I can see that they have put in bold After 15kms not for the entire trip.

The example from MG road to airport is close to that fare rather than full fare distance being at 16Rs/km.
Found this posted on their twitter page:

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uber_tbhp.jpg

Uber customer care seems to be suggesting they will correct the mistake if any, but I saw another tweet by the same person which reads like this "@Uber_BLR @Uber still no resolution. Recd a mail from you which justifies Rs.24/km. if thats the case, keep it transparent"

By the way, anyone knows whether minimum Paytm cash of Rs. 200 is still mandatory, now that they have started to accept credit cards?

Last edited by sandsun7 : 26th August 2015 at 14:47.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 14:52   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Did you try this? Logically if you end a journey from inside the cab or from just outside the cab and request a new ride, the same driver would get the ride-request him being the closest to your current location. But, that's logically. In reality, does it work that way?
I have tried to do this when 2 of us needed Cabs and I got none. So I travelled to the original drop off of my friend. He then got off and I immediately tried to book, but by that time someone else had booked it and the driver had accepted.

I tried it the second time (with some other cab) and it worked. So it not flawless.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:29   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
So, what if we break the journey to the airport by ending the trip in the middle and booking it again and continuing? You can do that sitting in the same cab Maybe that still works out cheaper.
Cheers,
Deepak
Quote:
Did you try this? Logically if you end a journey from inside the cab or from just outside the cab and request a new ride, the same driver would get the ride-request him being the closest to your current location. But, that's logically. In reality, does it work that way?
I tried this once in Chennai. The driver requested me to break the trip into 2 since had had been waiting at the airport for 2 hrs and his commission was dependent on number of trips. he promised to refund the Rs 40 base charge.

I asked him how can it be guaranteed that he gets the request. He said if I ensure my location is shown on map as right on top of his car, it will come to him first. So we stopped half way, I fired up the App, there were like 10 cars around, move my location pointer to directly on his car (we were next to a bridge so could identify his car correctly) and placed the request. It came to him as expected.

I assume you can do it once or twice, it is easy for Uber to figure out this kind of Jugaad.

For this current case, I do not think it will be possible since this move may have been triggered based on pressure from drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Uber customer care seems to be suggesting they will correct the mistake if any, but I saw another tweet by the same person which reads like this "@Uber_BLR @Uber still no resolution. Recd a mail from you which justifies Rs.24/km. if thats the case, keep it transparent"
The wordings are pretty vague. I interpreted it as 24 per km, others here felt it meant 8 per km for 15 km and then 16 per km. Guess they deliberately kept it vague.

Respect for Uber has gone down a couple of notches.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:57   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear SDP,
I did try this twice on that trip sitting inside the cab.
As soon as I requested, his phone started beeping and he accepted it. This worked both times.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 11:40   #755
Senior - BHPian

So it looks like Uber and Ola will have to fast come up with an algorithm that doesn't allow consecutive bookings in the same vehicle.

Otherwise, the "break journey" tactic will help both the rider and the driver, and the aggregator will not be able to make any money.

But the flip-side of such an algorithm would be that say your driver logs out of the system accidentally or the phone dies or there are network issues while chauffeuring you. How will you re-initiate the journey?

Last edited by alpha1 : 27th August 2015 at 11:42.
Old 1st September 2015, 22:29   #756
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Uber has finally fixed what was arguably their biggest drawback - non acceptance of Cash Payment.

Yes, Uber has moved away from their traditional payment methods and will not allow cash payments. Though I think this is applicable only for Bangalore at the moment.

http://newsroom.uber.com/bangalore/2015/09/blrcash/

The fine print:
  • A valid Uber account is needed to be able to book a ride and pay in cash
  • Not everyone will see the cash option right away as we are testing and rolling it out slowly
  • You do not need any minimum balance in your Paytm wallet to be able to book rides with cash as your payment option
  • Make sure you have enough cash for the trip
  • You will not be able to make part payments on cash trips with your Paytm wallet and other payment options, and vice versa
  • Fare adjustments are not possible for cash rides
  • There is no booking fee or additional charge to riders
How to pay with cash?

1. Go to the Uber app and click on ‘Set pick up location
  2. Click ‘Change‘ on the available payment method
  3. Select ‘Cash‘ as your payment method
  4. Hit ‘Request a Trip‘ and get riding
  5. Before you get out, pay the exact amount shown to you & your driver – No haggling required!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 1st September 2015 at 22:30.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:53   #757
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the woman who sued Uber in January after accusing one of the company's drivers of raping her has voluntarily ended the suit, according to a court filing on Tuesday.

The court filing did not disclose any details on how the case was settled, and representatives for Uber and the woman declined to comment.

Source
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:22   #758
Team-BHP Support

Uber has started accepting cash payments in three more cities - Bengaluru, Delhi NCR and Kolkata.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 14th September 2015 at 13:04.
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:30   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Uber, has started accepting cash payments in three more cities - Bengaluru, Delhi NCR and Kolkata.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Cash option has already been showing up in Mumbai for the last few days. You may want to check that.
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:19   #760
BHPian

Uber Go. Bangalore
7/km for the first 15 and 14/km for every km after that
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-uber.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2015, 00:29   #761
Senior - BHPian

I received a coupon for a free 'cash' ride upto Rs. 300/- here in Dilli today. Will use the coupon and then revert to cc, hate handling soiled notes.
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:21   #762
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Sent a mail to UBER support today morning:

Quote:
I have been using UBER recently and generally quite happy with the service and experience.. till yesterday night at Mumbai Airport

First upon all, there were no cars available across any category. One odd car used to appear randomly in some category and vanish in a second before I could request a ride. After wasting 10 odd minutes in this, finally managed to request a ride by catching a car before it vanishes. But rather than getting a confirmation, got the message "all cars are busy". That happened 3 times with diff cars.... diff categories. I still didn't give up.

Why were there no cars available at the airport which is such a obvious place to have high demand.

Finally spotted a UberWiFi available some 13 minutes away and requested a ride. BTW, I had woken up at 3am on Wednesday and had a hectic day with a flight to Delhi and back on same day. So I wasn't looking at a UBER if the ETA would have been 15+ minutes. Was too tired to wait that long. 13 minutes ETA was also long, but for a better experience than normal taxis, I was ready to wait that long. I also thought, I had one important email to be sent asap and the WiFi would help. The ride was requested at 10:32 PM.

At 10:37pm, the driver (apparently a newbie), rather than following the app directions, called me and asked where I am. I told "arrivals" . He asked "Jet Airways?". I said "No, Vistara". He said "They are together at 1B.". I said "whatever ...come fast". The Innova was somewhere in Andheri East and I saw him missing an obvious turn to the airport, but thought "may be he knows roads better around this area". After another 5-10 minutes, multiple calls to figure out where he is and where I am. After that, there was a big realization that I am at T2 (international airport) and he has gone to Domestic. Finally after another few calls, the confusion was sorted out and he headed to the right pickup point. He asked me to locate P5 and be there at a specific parking spot and call him with his spot number. Did that and finally ages after I requested the ride, got into the UberWifi Innova. The ride was requested at 10:32PM and had a ETA of 13 minutes then. But eventually I was on my way back home only at 11:02pm. At the end of a tiring day, wasn't looking forward to so much confusion and so much interaction with the driver about my whereabouts ... when the technology exists to locate a rider accurately to less than 5 meter radius.

After I settled down and we were on our way out of the airport ...I asked him about the WiFI. He pulled out a Aitel 4G hotspot and switched it on. He told me password is 9030. I asked him what's the name of the hotspot. He appeared clueless. Somehow, uber_644 appeared to be the logical one and I tried to connect. But it won't even enable the "connect" button after entering the 4 digit password that he had told me. Tried a few times and then even entered the passkey printed inside the hotspot cover. It at least accepted the password this time, but it wouldn't connect irrespective of how many times i tried. Gave authentication issue. He kept on mentioning password is 9030. Tried another logical password ..644-9030 and even that did not work. By that time ...another 5-6 minutes had passed in the journey and I was utterly exhausted/ frustrated by then. Gave up. Told him that WiFi didn't connect. Couldn't send the important email from the laptop.

I still gave the driver a 4 rating as he didn't give up and cancel the ride even after the confusion and was courteous throughout the misadventure.

BUT, it was still a very bad and frustrating experience. I look at this as a training issue. The driver should have relied on the app and come to the pick-up point as requested rather than calling me and creating the confusion. Opting for a UberWiFi and then not getting a chance to use the internet was a total fiasco and could have definitely been avoided with better training.

Anyways, this is NOT a complaint against the driver, who I believe tried his best to help. Just thought of sharing a bad experience and hoping that this is avoided in the future at least.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd September 2015 at 08:42.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:42   #763
BHPian

Re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Sent a mail to UBER support today morning:
I agree with your view on "pickup location & unnecessary calling"

I don't know, what fun UBER drivers get by calling & discussing landmarks & U turns & everything on the call, when we give them +/- 5m EXACT pickup location on GPS.
It would be okay to call & confirm the GPS location is where they need to come & to inform us that they are on their way. (though even that is not required, ideally)

Last 2 times I used UBER, I wasted 5-10 minutes of my time, explaining the address!
Then, what's the point of sending the GPS co-ordinates anyway?

One more MAJOR qualm I have is how the drivers keep their phones. On their laps, somewhere in the middle of cup holders etc & keep fiddling with them after every "buzz" they get, taking eyes off road & swaying at times due to that distraction.
I see this as a safety concern.

UBER should either supply or instruct drivers to get a mount & USE the gps enabled device on it!

Please share what response you get for that email.

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 10th September 2015 at 11:47.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:57   #764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I don't know, what fun UBER drivers get by calling & discussing landmarks & U turns & everything on the call, when we give them +/- 5m EXACT pickup location on GPS.
While i agree with this completely, the flip-side is that some users don't wait for GPS lock, and hence send the drivers to a wrong place.

Case in point : an uber driver told me about a lady who booked her Uber to pick her up from churchgate station, however, she did this whilst in the train - passing Mahalaxmi!! As a result, the driver ended up at the wrong place, wasting his time.

That said, cases like these are rare. The driver should be able to tell by the passenger's rating how accurate & prompt they are.

In fact, Uber should make drivers rate passengers on these individual factors: pick-up location accuracy, wait time, overall rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
One more MAJOR qualm I have is how the drivers keep their phones. On their laps, somewhere in the middle of cup holders etc & keep fiddling with them after every "buzz" they get, taking eyes off road & swaying at times due to that distraction.
Report "Should not use his phone while driving!" in the "Comment" section when you are rating the driver after the trip.

While it is slightly confusing, this comment goes to the UBER staff (and not the driver). It then goes on to the driver's record, and will be mentioned to him in the future (during a review or something).

As for the positioning of the phone, they were usually windshield mounted at the start -- but then after all the "Uber bans" everywhere, the drivers moved them out of sight -- probably out of fear. (This also had an impact on GPS accuracy).

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2015 at 11:59.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 13:27   #765
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Fond this on 9gag

Most Viewed