Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2017, 19:19   #76
BHPian

Re: Shell petrol bunk Old Madras Road near Gopalan mall credit card cheating

Always look at the meter before giving the card and verify the swiped amount before leaving the bunk. Could've been a mistake, could've been a scam, you never know. Don't trust blindly even if it's Shell or a CoCo.
Old 24th December 2017, 19:44   #77
BHPian

Re: Shell petrol bunk Old Madras Road near Gopalan mall credit card cheating

Never trust anyone, could happen to anyone. You can always claim a dispute if you have a bill.

There are lots of best practices to be followed at bunks mentioned in various threads.
One is to get out, stand still next to cars fuel tank and conduct all actions and transactions including swiping of the card. Get back into the car only after you have verified everything. Do not bother about others waiting or the attenders.
Old 24th December 2017, 20:32   #78
BHPian

Re: My experience with Petrol Pump Fraud - And the silver lining

I don't like old card machines which sometimes didn't show the amount being swiped at the top before entering PIN. I always ask them to print the receipt before I get back into the car even though the attendants ask me to move the car while the receipt prints.
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
I fill up at a couple of petrol pumps on the Kalyan Shil road near Dombivali. My XUV has a tank capacity of 70 Liters. I have noticed at both the HP pumps that even when my fuel indicator is showing 2 bars, the guy ends up filling 67 to 68 liters. I find it strange and upon being confronted, the guys does the 5 liter measuring can filling routine satisfactorily. I always keep an eye on the meter, make sure it is reset, the nozzle is on auto cut off and the attendant does not touch it.
Any fellow XUV owners can verify if this is possible, I am in doubt if i am getting short changed.

The Tank capacity of XUV is 75 L as far as I know. Usually with the last bar, the XUV takes in 70-71L. I did this few times from multiple Shell bunks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 15:34. Reason: Old post, but fixing small formatting issue :)
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:22   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Attempt to fraud by an attendant at a HP petrol bunk outlet but the owner was cooperative, after i put a complaint.

The story-

Am not taking the name and the location of the pump as the issue is now resolved.

I asked the attendant to fill diesel worth Rs 1000 in my car and told him i will pay by card. So he brought the card swiping machine and asked for my card. I gave him the card. At the first instance he was checking the rear of the card and i noticed he was looking at the cvv code. The next moment he entered the amount and asked me for the Pin number! I told him that, pin number should be entered by the customer. His reply was he cant handover the machine to me due to safety issues! I blatantly told i wont share my pin. He cancel that transaction and start a new one.

He reluctantly gave me the machine and told me to enter the Pin. Now that guy didn't enter the amount and in place of entering the amount he asked me to enter the Pin. I didn't notice it at first. So when i entered the number, instead of **** marks the clear pin number was coming up on the machine's display. I immediately declined the transaction. Now seeing me declining the transaction he got angry and told me to leave the pump & not waste his time. I obliged. But before leaving i took the location, time, name of the pump & attendant.

Came back home and put a complaint on their website with all the required details. http://retailcms.hpcl.co.in/retailcm...userissue.aspx

The very next day the owner of the pump called me and asked, what happened. I told him what exactly happened. He apologized and told me he will sack that rogue attendant and i can come over to his pump any time to check the same.

I guess these guys collect the card details and pass on to the fraudsters, who later calls up posing as a bank employee to take further details to cheat some money from our account.
For safety i visited the nearest ATM and changed the ATM pin, plus called up the bank call center and updated them the story. To my good luck all was safe at the end.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd January 2018 at 20:38.
Samba is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 09:23   #81
BHPian

Hi,

I was travelling with my wife and a friend for the Christmas holidays from Kochi to Bangalore and from there to Kannur and back to Kochi in our Tata Zest. We reached Bangalore on December 23rd and started from there to Kannur on 25th. After we filled up fuel from Palakkad, we only had to refuel near Mysore. So I was watching out for a good Bharat Petroleum outlet and I came across Nataraj Fuel Point on Hunsur Road at Hinkal, Mysore. I had always been a loyal customer of BP for all the good experience I have had with them.

My car had the Kerala Registration and the employees could easily make out I am not from that part of the country. I asked them to fillup the tank full in Hindi and a senior employee standing there directed so to another junior employee and he set the meter zero and started refueling. Suddenly he stopped at 300 rs and asked for the money. I said I asked to fill the tank full and not just for 300 rs. Then another employee comes and asks if my car ignition is turned off (my car was already off as I never fill fuel with ignition on). I said yes and he started explaining why he asked so and all. In the meanwhile, the junior employee who was filling the tank stood obstructing our view to the meter and started refueling. My friend who was sitting in the back could notice that he did not set the meter zero when he started refueling the second time. The total bill came to 2450 and I was asked to pay the 300rs extra for the initial refueling they did. When I asked them in Hindi, why should I do that as they had not set the meter to zero, he replied back in Kannada and I could not understand what he said. I could make out that they were telling that they had set the meter zero and I am getting it wrong. I did not want to make an issue there as I wanted to get to Kannur before it gets dark and also I believed there was no point in talking with them and just collected the bills and resumed our journey.

I felt very disappointed and cheated and this actually spoiled our mood for sometime. I decided that these guys should be taken to task and this should not happen to another customer. Hence I am writing this post. I have written to Bharat Petroleum today with all the details and I have also sent them a bill copy. I will ensure that they give me back the money which they have robbed from me. Not just because I want the money back but also to ensure that this does not happen to another customer. The copy of the bill can be found below.

My experience with Petrol Pump Fraud - And the silver lining-img_20181227_080530.jpeg
raghulsudheesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 10:17   #82
BHPian

If you had simply ask for complaint book and contact number of pump manager, they would have taken a hasty retreat and given you remaining fuel. No need for any discussion with the staff but a firm request for the two items and most of these rogues have their tails between their legs.
Acharya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 11:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghulsudheesh View Post
Hi,
Looks like you were conned by the oldest trick in the book.
Please do read through the thread on trusted petrol pumps in Bangalore on Team BHP. It will open your sights to a multitude of ways how fraud can be committed during fuel filling and how to escape.

All the best with your complaint with BP. Hope they do something about it and you get your money back.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 12:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Looks like you were conned by the oldest trick in the book.
Please do read through the thread on trusted petrol pumps in Bangalore on Team BHP. It will open your sights to a multitude of ways how fraud can be committed during fuel filling and how to escape.

All the best with your complaint with BP. Hope they do something about it and you get your money back.
Yes. It is indeed a very old method. But I somehow fell into it. I will surely take a look at the thread. Thanks for the lead! Also, I will keep everyone updated as soon as I hear from BP. Hope they act upon it!
Old 27th December 2018, 12:17   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

Suddenly he stopped at 300 rs and asked for the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
If you had simply ask for complaint book and contact number of pump manager, they would have taken a hasty retreat and given you remaining fuel.

Threat of complain book not always results in a happy ending, as most of the times, the pump owners are aware of the fraud.

After being robbed for couple of times at different bunks, all I do now, if a bunk guy tries to pull it off on me, I just pay him the amount he had filled and drives of to another bunk for tank fill.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 13:19   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I was travelling with my wife and a friend for the Christmas holidays from Kochi to Bangalore and from there to Kannur and back to Kochi in our Tata Zest.

Attachment 1831137
I had a similar incident in Chennai where a pump close to the Airport with all female employees tried to pull a fast one on me. Since I had time I down right refused to pay the amount which was 300/- . I told them I will only pay what the meter is showing and not the 300 above it. And if they want the 300 extra I am not willing to pay a penny till cops come.

After a brief chat amongst themselves they agreed. I paid the actual amount and gave them an earful which I am not sure they understood.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 13:58   #87
BHPian

Few days back on the NH52, near Sikar, I stopped my car at a BP pump to fill some fuel. I got down the car to stand near the fuel lid of my car (I always get down the car on the highways at fuel pumps) and told him to fill petrol of 1000 rupees.
The moment I went there and the pump attendent opened my car's fuel cap a guy came behaving very friendly saying, Sir you've got dust around the fuel cap, it will get mixed with the petrol. The moment I heard this I was like something fishy is definitely about to happen so I didn't pay heed to the other guy and continued looking at the meter. Now the pump attendant try to stand in such a way so as to block my view from the meter and he puts the nozzle inside my car and asked me where I'm coming from. Without giving any reply to him I moved aside to get a proper view and in a stern tone told him to first reset the meter to zero!

So they were trying to not reset the meter to zero which was at 300 already. He resets the meter and all the friendliness from both of their face's vanishes. The other guy quickly sneaks away from there. The attendant avoided any eye contact. While giving him the money, I gave a good look at the name written on his shirt (made sure he notices it) and told him next time If it happens I will be writing this in the complaint register.
He was giving me an explanation but I was in no mood to listen so continued my impoliteness with him and drove off!

Last edited by Sherlocked : 27th December 2018 at 14:06.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 14:21   #88
BHPian

This practice of stopping at 100/200 when asked for full-tank has to be the most irritating fraud that petrol pumps try to pull-off. What's more frustrating is that my regular petrol pump in Pune tries to pull this off on me. Frustrated, I now ask the attendant to confirm how much have I asked to fill and allow him to start only when he speaks out the amount loud and clear.
Old 27th December 2018, 15:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Look at the times on the bills. The Rs 300 one is printed later than the Rs 2450 one. If they had filled for 300 first and then another 2450, the time in the 300 bill should have been earlier. The bill shows their claim is baseless.
I am if you had noticed this there, you would have showed them and questioned them.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 18:43   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Look at the times on the bills. The Rs 300 one is printed later than the Rs 2450 one. If they had filled for 300 first and then another 2450, the time in the 300 bill should have been earlier. The bill shows their claim is baseless.
I am if you had noticed this there, you would have showed them and questioned them.
I had missed this while mailing them and posting in the thread. A manager from BP was quick to mail me after he received my complaint and I mentioned to her about the timing and she has asked for the bill copy. I am yet to get an update from them after this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks