Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 01:50   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: No-Honking days in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
If you read it carefully, the campaign is only against unnecessary honking and not honking itself.

How often do you like to be honked at when you are at a red light or chock a block traffic? The answer is anybody's guess!

Calling it silly is completely unwarranted!
I will still call such campaigns silly. So now people are supposed to be telepathic, and figure out whether the biker in the left lane will come to the right lane or not.
Or whether the truck in the left lane they are confidently overtaking will or won't crush them?
Maybe the truck driver saw you. And you still honked. So unnecessary.
Maybe he did not, and if you had not honked you would be crushed against the divider. So necessary. How do you figure out what kind of honking is necessary or unnecessary.
And speaking of people who honk on "red lights" for no rhyme or reason, do you really think they care about such things?
But this gives me an idea. How about a sticker campaign saying "Please don't mug and murder people on lonely stretches". This will stop all the mugging and the looting, right

I bet the sticker manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 07:14   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I will still call such campaigns silly. So now people are supposed to be telepathic, ..........

How do you figure out what kind of honking is necessary or unnecessary.
Not wanting to extend this into an argument - to each his own.

But you got it spot on. Riding/Driving is all about anticipation to me. And the horn has been the most underused part in my vehicle. And at some point, when you begin to understand the behavioral patterns of people on road, anticipatory driving becomes very easy and enjoyable. You have to experience it to believe it.

On an additional note, my friends and colleagues still ask, why don't you honk? I personally believe that it is a responsibility that I undertake every time I venture out onto the road - to pass through the localities on my way with the least amount of disturbance. And I take pride in doing it.

Even my best friend has a different opinion on the inevitability of honking. All that I tell him is to give it a try and that he won't regret it. Same to our friends here.
sara.ramli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 08:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Recently during my 40 Km drive, two or three kilometers into the journey, the horn in my car went dead.

I was terribly shocked and I thought I would never be able to continue my journey at all. But better sense prevailed and I continued my journey in a slow pace making more calculated lane changes/ maneuvers.

The first two kilometers after the horn went dead was so bizarre. But as I continued driving carefully, I seldom missed using the horn. Remember, I had to drive thru' peak hour traffic in one the most busiest stretches in the country.

This incident made me realize that, more often, the other road users hardly notice our honking. Horns are mere instruments that give us a satisfaction that we rule the road.

From that day onward, my horn usage pattern drastically changed and I use it very judiciously. I must say that, Its great feeling to drive with less honking especially in cars that have horns which transmit more sound into the passenger cabin.

It would also be pertinent to note that the horn usage in the west is highly restricted and it is considered highly offensive if you honk inappropriately.

NOTE:This incident is posted here only to reiterate that horn usage should be restricted and by no means it should be construed as promoting horn less driving!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th March 2013 at 08:26.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 09:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will still call such campaigns silly. So now people are supposed to be telepathic, and figure out whether the biker in the left lane will come to the right lane or not.

I bet the sticker manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank.
I fully agree with you mate. Really silly campaigns like this waste time and money instead of tackling serious issues like traffic management and ensuring people follow all rules religiously.
Old 17th March 2013, 09:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I will still call such campaigns silly.
Truly surprised at such a reaction from a "Moderator" of this "Automotive" forum.

Aren't all safety and environment related initiatives supposed to be good for the general "Automotive" world? Or only the ones that "You" think will work?

Unnecessary honking is a Menace!! Any initiatives to reduce this should be encouraged.

I truly despise those that think a loud horn is the answer to our traffic problems. Instead of honking and "Teaching a lesson" to the errant traffic, if only they focused on their own driving, any and all accidents can be avoided. Seriously doubt being the guy with the loud horn is going to keep you safe. It's the guy with the cool head that keeps you safe.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 10:27   #66
BHPian

People really enjoy being thick isn't it. On the risk of someone seem attracted to "Mods" family jewels here, I think Tsk is absolutely right. Rather than focusing on "Not really big problems" to "Really big problems" like driving without helmets, people zig zagging through lanes or people crossing roads while green light is on should get priorty. No its not just my thinking. Do you know somebody who died of excessive honking at lights?

My view
Old 17th March 2013, 11:05   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Truly surprised at such a reaction from a "Moderator" of this "Automotive" forum.
Does being a moderator mean he has to agree with everyone and he is not entitled to his own opinions?
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 11:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Does being a moderator mean he has to agree with everyone and he is not entitled to his own opinions?
No it does not and neither do I expect it nor have I expressed as such.

Merely an observation that an initiative for general public awareness and betterment of driving environment would be sneered at by a moderator of a forum that "I" believed was in favor of promoting good sense.

Cheers
Old 17th March 2013, 11:24   #69
BHPian

I think the debate has gone rather

Its not about the ability to tell when to Honk or not, but rather the whole campaign was against unnecessary honking.

For instance when you are at a traffic light and even before the lights go green some moron starts honking. Now that is Unnecessary and no matter how one looks at it.

On the other hand, honking while overtaking a truck becomes an absolute necessity.

So lets not get into nit-picking over who said what to whom. It is a good campaign however could have been better defined.

Cheers
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 18:44   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So where does any rule say that moderators have to agree with general public opinion?

Quote:

Aren't all safety and environment related initiatives supposed to be good for the general "Automotive" world? Or only the ones that "You" think will work?
Nope. Only initiatives that work.
Let me give you an example.
1. Police start initiative where they will come on radio every morning and ask people not to drive polluting vehicles - Useless initiative wasting taxpayers money
2. Police start putting heavy fines on vehicles polluting the environment - Good initiative

Quote:
Unnecessary honking is a Menace!! Any initiatives to reduce this should be encouraged.
Dacoity and murder are bigger problems. Lets ask the police to start distributing stickers against this as opposed to real policing, right?

Quote:
I truly despise those that think a loud horn is the answer to our traffic problems. Instead of honking and "Teaching a lesson" to the errant traffic, if only they focused on their own driving, any and all accidents can be avoided. Seriously doubt being the guy with the loud horn is going to keep you safe. It's the guy with the cool head that keeps you safe.

Cheers
You are most welcome to despise me. ITs a free land

Quote:
No it does not and neither do I expect it nor have I expressed as such.

Merely an observation that an initiative for general public awareness and betterment of driving environment would be sneered at by a moderator of a forum that "I" believed was in favor of promoting good sense.

Cheers
Yes, you believe this. However, I pay tax. My money is going into some sticker manufacturers pocket. If police want to discourage illegal honking and curb on noise pollution, they can do real things under the law. For example challan those blowing horns near hospitals. Instead of taking hafta they can challan the buses and trucks with illegal pressure horns.
But no, they will waste my hard earned money. So I have every right to voice my opinion based on my belief, just like you are welcome to agree with this initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I think the debate has gone rather

Its not about the ability to tell when to Honk or not, but rather the whole campaign was against unnecessary honking.

For instance when you are at a traffic light and even before the lights go green some moron starts honking. Now that is Unnecessary and no matter how one looks at it.
Wow, that guy will see a sticker and stop doing this? How about the real policing I mentioned earlier. How about enforcing the supreme court deadline of no loud speakers after 11pm? These are much louder than horns and run the entire night whenever there is some jagrata or stuff.
If you would rather have the police come up with pie in the sky solutions as opposed to real police work, you are most welcome to support it, but as a tax payer I oppose such wasting of my money.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th March 2013 at 18:49.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 19:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that guy will see a sticker and stop doing this? How about the real policing I mentioned earlier. How about enforcing the supreme court deadline of no loud speakers after 11pm? These are much louder than horns and run the entire night whenever there is some jagrata or stuff.
If you would rather have the police come up with pie in the sky solutions as opposed to real police work, you are most welcome to support it, but as a tax payer I oppose such wasting of my money.
Firstly Dacoity and Murder cannot be compared to a unnecessary honking.

Moreover this initiative is about sanitizing people. One has to start somewhere. If we go by fining people for loud horns without first making them aware about the same, then such a practice is tyrannical in its inception!

Lets come to the issue about enforcing other SC guidelines. The thing is you always have a recourse to loud speakers playing after 11 P.M. and that is the Police. If you do feel irritated call the cops and inform them about the same. One has a remedy, one should use it .

Also coming to the right usage of tax-payers money. I again say that informing the public about whats right and wrong is the duty of the State. And this is exactly what the State is doing. One cannot blatantly fine people without making them aware. If one does then it results in the abuse of law, the epitome of this expression can be seen in the recent SC's verdict on banning sun-films on all vehicles.

Cheers

Last edited by Enigmatic : 17th March 2013 at 19:25.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 19:28   #72
BHPian

Quote:
So where does any rule say that moderators have to agree with general public opinion?
Since you are a moderator, I'm sure you know the rules better, and you might be right, there may not be a rule that says that. But ever hear of maintaining restraint even if one does not agree? I'm sure that's not in the rule book either.

Quote:
Nope. Only initiatives that work.
Quite an interesting perspective. Ironically, this perspective represents a significant percentage of our traffic population. A certain " I know what's best" attitude, and you are probably right, such grassroots campaigns will not work at all with such a demographic.

Quote:
Wow, that guy will see a sticker and stop doing this?
If even 1% of the people see this and change, it's not worth it? Probably not since you think the rate of success is not high enough, so let's ignore it till something that guarantees a good rate of success comes around, like perhaps Nazi style policing. Till then, it's a free for all, right? And the one with the loudest horn has the right of way.

Quote:
but as a tax payer I oppose such wasting of my money.
Quote:
Yes, you believe this. However, I pay tax. My money is going into some sticker manufacturers pocket.
Wow, your tax rupee gets stretched all the way to fund a Chennai city police campaign. Talk about stretching things for argument's sake. Some fat cat sticker manufacturer in Chennai is laughing all the way to the bank, right? Please.

Thanks for putting your perspective out there.

Do wish you would reconsider reading the essence of the campaign, which is against UNNECESSARY Honking. But I can understand why it would touch a nerve to those who believe in the might of the HORN.

Cheers.
Old 17th March 2013, 20:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

The picture on the first post says "Horn is meant for emergency only"
But while driving, we run into an emergency so frequently that honking can not be avoided, without putting someone at risk.
Honking is not a cause, it is an effect. Remove the cause (traffic indiscipline) and the effect will go away on its own.
Just my two bits on why i think such initiatives are somewhat hollow.
Old 18th March 2013, 07:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you believe this. However, I pay tax. My money is going into some sticker manufacturers pocket. ......But no, they will waste my hard earned money. So I have every right to voice my opinion based on my belief, just like you are welcome to agree with this initiative..
You have got the facts totally wrong. The Traffic Police initiative does not involve any sticker business at all. They had just requested the public to restrict the horn usage on a particular day to spread the awareness.

If you are still worried that your hard earned tax money is wasted in the form of electricity and Internet charges to update that Facebook status you could very well file a PIL/RTI request and sue the Cops.

The sticker initiative is by a NGO that gets funded by like minded people who donate their money to this specific cause knowing thoroughly well that their money would be spent on such activities.

Quote:
Wow, that guy will see a sticker and stop doing this?
Definitely No!! So does the guy who sports the *Live to Drive* or *I Drive Safe* sticker on his bumper. These are mere awareness stickers and not instant safety pills to induce the spirit of the message at the first glance.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 18th March 2013 at 07:17.
Old 18th March 2013, 10:30   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang

Well I agree 100% with Tanveer too. Though I myself am a very occasional honker much to the chagrin of my family! The key word is 'occasional'. The problem with a campaign like this is that it sends all the wrong messages. 'No Honking Day'. If some idiot is cutting across my lane to take an illegal turn, am I supposed to silently hit my brakes and risk getting rear ended?

Such campaigns are silly and there is no other word for it. Many years ago in Bombay the cops had started penalizing every driver who 'cut lanes'. Didn't matter that there was a genuine reason to change my lane and I did it as a planned manouevre causing minimum disruption to others. I would be challaned for lane cutting.

This is no different.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks