Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 22:12   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

No Honking Day- I will follow it, I'll make sure I take a rickshaw to wherever I go an smack the driver on the head each time he hits that small button...LOL!
Old 14th March 2008, 22:24   #17
BANNED

hahaha i dont need to honk i think i juss rev up my baby cbr
Old 14th March 2008, 22:40   #18
BHPian

will be interesting to see what happens that day because if you dont hear a horn on busy roads or busy junctions, you might just hear a loud "crrrashhh!!!"

being in bangalore i have an alternate suggesstion for here......

we have been held ransom by autowalas refusing to take you to where you want to go, rather wanting to find passengers who want to go where they want to go. i think that this is something that needs to be urgently rectified.

so how about a little payback??? i mean why dont we do a "reverse" auto strike? meaning none will take an auto that day. let them hang around and beg for a "savari" and then they will understand how we feel when the bloody autowalah refuses to go to your destination by giving you an arrogant shake of the head or when they demand excess fare.

those ugly, arrogant, foul mouthed, stinking breath, sleazy animals need to be taught some manners and this is a perfect way. so what date do we fix for this momentous occassion?

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 14th March 2008 at 22:41.
Old 15th March 2008, 10:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Indians are famous for coining fancy phrases and terms but doing nothing practically. If the licensing issuing system is cleaned up and drivers are tested thoroughly before licences are issued then the honking problem will be solved automatically.

And what about the government? If the roads are designed properly then again honking would automatically reduce.
Old 5th April 2008, 11:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just bumping this thread in time.

Well things are moving with the Mumbai Police tying up with various organistaions to promote this No Honking Day. I have seen banners and pamphlets - lets hope people participate in this.

And forget about what others do or do not do, it's up to you to do what you feel you should do.

I will not honk on Monday - will you?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 5th April 2008 at 11:04.
Old 5th April 2008, 14:15   #21
BHPian

even i will not honk on monday, but for that i will have to drive extra slowly because with high speeds i might just end up honking if somebody just jumps across.
Old 7th April 2008, 00:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just a reminder - Today is the day.

I am just back from the International Airport and i came through Asalfa, Ghatkopar, Amar Mahal into Chembur and I tell you people - it was a REAL STRUGGLE for me not to honk. And this at 12 in the night !!

Tomorrow is going to be chaos as usual I feel. But we have to do our bit - that is important.

Hope all of you in Mumbai and even other cities do not honk tomorrow.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:09   #23
BHPian

I was at Hutatma Chowk in the morning around 10:15. Life was as normal with lots of honking on all roads leading to the Chowk !! So this is another non-enforceable thing.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:32   #24
BHPian

In any case i dont honk much and if i do, i just give a short two honk note (Beep beep) road runner style But put in a little extra effort not to honk at all today but i must admit i had to honk twice to make a cyclist and an errant driver aware of my presence.

What pisses me off the most is that cabbies were honking away to glory for no apparent reason. Generally also they honk like idiots like when i was at a red light and the cab behind is honking like crazy.

In my opinion, there should be more awareness as to "Learn how to honk" which teaches people to give short honks rather than keep it blaring. This would do more good than a no honking day where accidents are possible because of ignorant pedestrians and bikes and cycles if you dont honk.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Deputy CM says that 'offenders' today will be penalised for honking. This news is from yesterday’s Hindustan Times.

I am sick and tired of this attitude of the government. Why do people honk? Because the government has failed to adequately train drivers and they have miserably failed to provide adequate road infrastructure. The state of our roads and the way they are designed with no signboards informing drivers of anything are the main reasons for the honking.

Just imagine this. Today, an autorikshaw, taxi or any vehicle can drive at 20kmph in the overtaking/rightmost lane and if you honk at them, the vehicle honking will be penalised?! Just what is the deputy CM smoking? Today pedestrians,like they do everyday, will zip across the road when legally, the traffic lights for vehicles is green and instead of getting penalised for jaywalking, the motorist will be penalised for honking (and braking hard to save that dimwits useless life?)

The government's attitude is that they have done everything correct and everything that goes wrong is the responsiblity of the citizens? The reality on the other hand is just the opposite.

Why is it that the first time the average Indian driver drives abroad, he can drive for thousands of kms without the need for honking but that same driver can't do the same in his own country? Obviously, the problem is not with the driver but with the bloody government and it's high time the government does away with their "mai baap" attitude.

For all you know, the government will make this an annual affair. India is the only country in the world to have a 'Road safety Week'. We will probably also be the only country to have a 'No Honking Day' and the government will actually believe that by doing this they are making the country a better place to live!
Old 7th April 2008, 15:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

*BEEP BEEP* *BEEP BEEP* YEAAAAH!

How many of you Mumbaikars are going crazy because of all that silence around?
Old 7th April 2008, 16:05   #27
BHPian

steeroid : LOLS No silence at all, its a mess hehe, instead of honking people are getting out of the windows to show middle finger and abuse.

I did not honk while coming to work , again no horn on the bike
Old 7th April 2008, 16:16   #28
BHPian

I stopped at a signal this morning, and a bus stopped behind an auto also stationary and started honking. The guy went on till the auto drove off in the red light. So much for a no honk day.

By the way, on my way to work I had to honk once when an auto swerved into my path after driving past me on the wrong lane while I was inching along in the traffic. That guy almost hit me as he swerved.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:00   #29
BHPian

When on the subject of honking the first step they should do is get the bikers to use only horns which are proportionate to their breed. It is so irritating to see these youngsters (especially the mawali types in Navi Mumbai ) blaring impatiently at cars from behind. To confess I am taking a sadistic pleasure nowdays when I see accidents where bikers are victims though I am aware that there are responsible people too driving safely and meet with accidents for no fault of theirs.
But to see the bikers going on the fast lane blocking higher powered vehicles is too much to take.

Sorry for the outburst !!
Old 8th April 2008, 16:22   #30
BHPian

Your not the only one emkay. Ive started taking sadistic pleasure at signals when my car is blocking bikers from getting into the little space between cars and the foothpath which they generally do and scratch and hit rear view mirrors in the process. It doesnt always happen, but when they are blocked and cant get into the space and prevents them from scratching my car, it makes me feel happy.

EDIT: Have come across a few who are responsible and do not try to get into the space and just wait till the traffic moves or who are utterly careful and it is noticeable that they take the effort not to scratch your car. But this generally happens only once a month or maybe even less.

Last edited by Xehaust : 8th April 2008 at 16:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks