Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2024, 14:56   #211
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
All very good points. I am wondering why do we need sunroofs in India at all?
Second this thought , I saw an Audi coming from the direction of Vaniyambadi to Ambur (Bangalore Chennai highway) on Saturday afternoon, it was like scroching hot and this guy had his sunroof open with one lady standing and peeping out of it. Firstly it was so hot which would have like literally created a furnace inside considering all the windows were closed, the road was pretty empty and he must have been ripping at least at minimum 120 kmph and this road is not access controlled. God save us from these lunatics.
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 21:28   #212
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I came across the video below in my feed posted by @newskarnataka today that was captured in Bengaluru. We have seen kids and adults popping out from the sunroof and standing which is illegal. But here, a kid sits on the roof after popping out from the sunroof. Just one sudden brake would bring the kid on the road which might take his life. What stupidity and irresponsible behaviour.

Source: www.youtube.com/@newskarnataka
TurboTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 10:52   #213
BHPian

And yet I have come across Team-BHP folk not only guilty of the same thing, but also wanting a sun-roof as a feature just because their kids want one.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 11:44   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
And yet I have come across Team-BHP folk not only guilty of the same thing, but also wanting a sun-roof as a feature just because their kids want one.

Cheers
There is nothing wrong in a kid wanting a Sunroof as long as it is used the way it is supposed to be. I am a proud team bhpian and a proud owner of Safari XZA+ with a panoramic sunroof. I find Sunroof an excellent feature which brings a lot of light and airiness into the cabin. It has helped my family greatly to enjoy drives who were otherwise mostly motion sick or claustrophobic in a car. Now they just love being in the car.

I must also add that not even once I have allowed my kid or anyone else to stick even a finger out of sunroof in a moving car. My family also understands and they have never asked for doing such stupid acts.
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 11:47   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
*SNIP*I must also add that not even once I have allowed my kid or anyone else to stick even a finger out of sunroof in a moving car. My family also understands and they have never asked for doing such stupid acts.
You are one of the more enlightened members and obviously are not counted in the group I spoke about

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 11:56   #216
BHPian

My point my friend is that let us not judge sunroof as the culprit here - so, wanting one is not bad. It's the people who are to be blamed.

We see similar misuse of ADAS (many videos on YouTube). That does not make ADAS responsible for people's stupidity. Yes, it's merits and de merits can surely be discussed from an effectiveness or accuracy standpoint.
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 13:00   #217
Senior - BHPian

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...464185241.html
"Bengaluru police books a man for allowing kids to pop out of SUV's sunroof"
Some action at last
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 14:05   #218
BHPian

I was stunned to learn from my cousin that he purchased Brezza with sun-roof option on the insistence of his kid who is around 10 years old. This is very bad trend as we adults should take responsibility deciding what is right.
srinivasmhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 15:13   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
My point my friend is that let us not judge sunroof as the culprit here - so, wanting one is not bad. It's the people who are to be blamed.
Sunroof is indeed not the culprit, but it is, too often, the opportunity.
Old 2nd July 2024, 16:56   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
I was stunned to learn from my cousin that he purchased Brezza with sun-roof option on the insistence of his kid who is around 10 years old. This is very bad trend as we adults should take responsibility deciding what is right.
Well, why do you think it is wrong- unless you haven't disclosed any irresponsible act by your cousin. We got our choice of model because of our daughter's insistence on sun-roof. I had my own reasons for going for the higher variant but I don't see why someone, especially a kid, for whom a sunroof is a novelty feature, wouldn't insist upon. Even I enjoy the extra light in the cabin at times and the occasional rain falling on the sunroof and why not?

Let's not paint everything in the same color and with the same brush assuming that all kids will be waving out through the roof. All occupants including the kids should anyway be securely belted in a moving vehicle. It is up to us adults to let the kids know what is safe and what's not. I don't see why sunroof should be avoided if we instill safe practices; given it is preferred by the buyer/ user.

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd July 2024 at 16:58.
Old 2nd July 2024, 17:41   #221
GwD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My only hesitation on that would be that they are an excellent way to clear the hot air out of the car when it has been parked in the sun.
In fact, I use the sunroof in my XUV500 only to vent the hot air when the vehicle has been parked in the sun for a long time. Opening the sun roof and the doors helps the hot air vent out far quickly than without the sun roof.
Old 2nd July 2024, 17:42   #222
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sun-Roofs!

I shudder at the sight of folks, especially kids, riding in the car with their head/body protruding outside the sunroof. This behaviour is not just restricted to few city roads, but I have seen this in other remote towns/villages and even on highways.

Lot of times, these are relatively brand new cars and may be the novelty of the feature is what prompts them to act in such manner. But it is unfortunate that the adults in the car, who allow this to happen, either don't know the risk or don't care despite knowing better.

Such dangerous practices should not be normalized, especially in a country like ours where the road and surrounding infrastructure always poses some element of risk.

My 2007 Skoda Octaivia L&K used to have a sunroof, but my 2014 VW Jetta Highline did not have one, even though it was the top end variant. In my 9+ years ownership of the Jetta, the sunroof was one feature I never "missed" given our weather in Chennai..

Last edited by jjp@chn : 2nd July 2024 at 17:44.
Old 2nd July 2024, 18:03   #223
BHPian

I think that sunroof is not the culprit as mentioned in the above few posts. It would definitely improve the driving experience for all occupants. It is just that we have to use it wisely and how we use it is completely in our control. My car does not have a sunroof and I couldn’t buy the top-end due to budget concerns if I did not have budget concerns I would have bought the top-end variant with a sunroof.

Similar to the sunroof issue, I observed that a lot of people let their kids sit or hold them on their lap in the front seat. This is also one of the dangerous practices as most of the cars available in our country have two front airbags. In the case of an unfortunate event, the airbag itself would kill the child. In my case, my daughter is 5 years old and I have never let her sit in the front seat even for shorter distances. Now it has become a habit for my daughter that she never tries to sit in the front seat. To conclude, it is all within our control to follow safety rules.
TurboTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 22:26   #224
BHPian

Spotted on the Bengaluru Mysuru Expressway today, a kid popped out from the sunroof of a Mercedes-Benz. The person who can afford this car does not follow safety practices. That's the irony and the sad part.

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-img_6078.jpg
TurboTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2024, 18:06   #225
Team-BHP Support

I guess he was trying to blend in with the skyline?

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-pxl_20240811_112509917.jpg
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks