Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2020, 16:10   #136
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!

There are many 'influencers' on YouTube who puts their head out through the sunroof and also promote the same to the viewers. Infact, one particular blogger has been sponsored by MG to promote the Hector and in almost all the videos featuring the Hector, his head comes out and starts shooting the videos. People watch this and copy the same.

Here is a link of a recent video where he is moving through a forest, with low lying branches and poor roads, and has put his head out of the sunroof.

Scroll to 6.06 on the video
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 14:04   #137
Senior - BHPian

Found this on my instagram feed today. Person sticking himself out from sunroof is a big boss kannada winner and is an entrepreneur plus a farmer. Seems to be well educated guy but still does this stupid stunt at what seems to be a highway and at decent speeds.

Link : https://www.instagram.com/p/B9s1NTvg...=10sdgdfsr9u8m
Old 11th August 2020, 20:06   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this nonsense on sunroof today. And its not that the kid was pulled inside once the car started moving.

Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:24   #139
BHPian

Has happened to me multiple times in Bangalore. It has become a sort of status symbol. I have lowered my window glass a few times and have said 'Are you sure that's your kid?'
adg_andy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 19:54   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this on the NICE road today. With most of the vehicles doing good speeds and trucks around, higher chances of flying gravel too.
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-a10e4f4c8a284456b8a0cf56277d1347.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:35   #141
BANNED

If your car is moving, even at a slow pace, you are supposed to be in the seat and buckled up. It is a simple rule that cannot be bargained with. Yet, very often, you will find adults putting their hands out of the sunroof or worse, standing up through the sunroof. Ever so often, we also see children doing this and parents must be the ones to discourage this behaviour, no matter how upset the child may get. Emergency braking can cause serious damage to the upper body even at speeds below 15kmph. In the event of an accident, the person can even be thrown out of the vehicle, leading to serious injuries or worse. There’s also the threat of rollover during an accident.
Old 21st December 2020, 18:15   #142
Senior - BHPian

A kid sticking the head out of the sunroof can bang and crush his/her rib cage or windpipe with fatal consequences if there is a sudden jerk or unexpected change in velocity. The driving speed does not count. A mere 40 kmph will be enough. A stone flying off from a preceding vehicle's tyre can go clean through the kid's eye.

Don't underestimate two digit or even single digit speeds. It is the momentum that counts. I always park facing my apartment wall. I once misjudged and bumped the wall. The car was literally crawling and I was still belted up. But the sudden stop took my breath away, even at that speed. There was not even a scratch on the bumper.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 18:44   #143
Senior - BHPian

Is there a law needed here ? People don't seem to recognize the dangers of it. I thought they do such things inside city to show off. Doing so on highways is sheer stupidity.
Old 21st December 2020, 18:45   #144
BHPian

Are there any cars with a sensor to detect human protrusion? A simple motion sensor can do the job and these are cheap.
Old 21st December 2020, 23:30   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Is there a law needed here ? People don't seem to recognize the dangers of it. I thought they do such things inside city to show off. Doing so on highways is sheer stupidity.
I don't know, but I imagine that, as seatbelts are actually a legal requirement, that alone renders this behaviour illegal and prosecutable.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:06   #146
Senior - BHPian

Kids are good at imitating others, so this is like a bad socialmedia challenge that is catching up everywhere.

But on a side note, I do see lot of kids standing on scooter seats, between their parents, hanging out of omni vans on their way to school (pre-covid era ofcourse), so I have learnt to stay calm when I see something this silly.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 19:44   #147
BHPian

Caught this near the Ampa Skywalk Mall in Chennai.

Why is this catching on? I don't get it! How much more unsafe can one get? A random stone, or a tree bark falling can have serious implications! And with the kite flying festival just over, the risk of Maanja thread induced injury is exponential! Why do people insist on doing this?

esoticoreventon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 20:04   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Why is this catching on? I don't get it! How much more unsafe can one get? A random stone, or a tree bark falling can have serious implications! And with the kite flying festival just over, the risk of Maanja thread induced injury is exponential! Why do people insist on doing this?
Forget all that. A simple evasive manoeuvre followed by sudden braking from a mere 30kph can make the kids to fly off from the car and fall under oncoming vehicles! This is true even in the case of soft top vehicles like the Thar, if someone were to stand on the seats.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 10:08   #149
Team-BHP Support

Here is another idiot who can afford a 1 crore plus Range Rover Velar but does not have the brains of even a peanut. At one point there were two heads popping out and eventually only one. This stupidity is on the Mumbai Pune highway, no less, somewhere after Vashi maybe before Belapur and was at speeds of around 60 - 70 kmph. The torso was out even higher at some points but didn’t catch a photo then.

I am deliberately not whitewashing the registration plate - these jokers deserve to be identified. Car is apparently registered in the name Lok Chemicals Pvt Ltd.
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-484ed379a06a4fdcb58d216575bfaa5d.jpeg  

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-43105403a5414683976823ecd87a1d3d.jpeg  

Dangerous Trend : Kids standing & sticking out of Sunroofs!-e34d93f610574845b4596dfb9766cb38.jpeg  

Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 11:22   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a few ghat road trip over the past few months. Seeing kids sticking out of sunroofs quite often these days while their cars negotiate the ghats! I never bother or even get worked up anymore, someone who is willing to let their kids stand half out of the car on a ghat road is unlikely to take too kindly to anyone telling them how to raise their kids (or should that be how to 'lower' their kids out of the sunroof! ) What I do though is allow a few cars to overtake me- to keep someone else's car between me and the possible tragedy up ahead!

Last edited by am1m : 11th October 2021 at 11:24.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks