Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:24   #1036
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

I am kind of absolutely clueless about Indian Railways and their ticketing process. I try to stick to either driving down, or taking a bus. I had to travel from Wayanad to Coimbatore, and for some reason there were no buses available. I think there was some kind of hartal going on in Kerala. I had to be at Coimbatore the next day, as I was joining a new office.

I had to make it somehow to Coimbatore. Got on to a truck till Trissur. The only option was to take a train from Trissur to Coimbatore. So there was this "link" express to Coimbatore. Some of the compartments were jam packed, while some others were relatively empty. I smirked, thinking people have gone nuts for not occupying the almost empty and cozy compartments, and got into one of them and settled down.

The train started and I dozzed off. The train was supposed to reach Coimbatore by 7 AM. I know that after Walayar, the vegetation and landscape changes. Woke up by around 6AM to see that its still all green, raining and the number of river crossings were increasing, mile by mile (typical Kerala landscape). A little troubled, spoke to passengers around, and figured out that the train now was heading in the opposite direction towards Shoranur Junction!

Dismayed at my stupidity, got down at the next station (Angadipuram) and had to take a bus to Coimbatore. Apparently, the jam packed compartments were the only ones heading towards Coimbatore and the rest of them were to Shoranur Junction.

Last edited by jeeva : 23rd October 2020 at 09:26.
jeeva is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:46   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
My wife was supposed to drive herself and our kid to her mother's home for a short stayover. A lizard was perched on the rear door of my wife's A-Star. When I opened it to place a bag for her, the reptile jumped inside....
It's been so many days now. We aren't keen on letting the lizard die and stink in there; its stink may never leave the car after it passes away. We've tried to shoo the reptile out but it ducks underneath the front/rear seats or goes to the boot area under the spare tyre. Even if we leave the doors and rear hatch open for an hour, it simply doesn't come out.

It is a healthy yellow every time when we start chasing it. It becomes a dark reddish brown color by the time it's irritated by our chasing it around.

Next up: a visit to the car accessories shop nearby where the seats can be removed by them and the reptile can be chased successfully when it can no longer hide anywhere.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 23:19   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
It's been so many days now. ...
The only useful suggestion I have is to locate the lizard visually and without disturbing it switch on the ac at its coolest setting. Since it is a cold blooded creature eventually it will become sluggish and you should be able to scoop it up with a broom and dustpan and chuck it out.
We used to have huge lizards where I grew up and if I wanted to get one out my usual trick was to splash it with ice water and then toss it into the back garden. It would inevitably recover in under a minute and scamper away.
Roy.S is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 23:46   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

In my house, hit works wonders in chasing them away. It kind of acts like a barrier to keep them away from getting in under the main door. You could try spraying that in your car and leaving the doors open.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 23:59   #1040
BHPian

In one of our car we had the lizard.
We used a sticky trap to capture it.

The lizard was caught, trap was taken away from car and life became better.
procrastinator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 08:33   #1041
Senior - BHPian

See how this attendant at the petrol pump sweeps the floor. Saw this at HP petrol pump (at Hotel Gujarat) before Basavkalyan on way from Pune to Hyderabad.

Don't know how effective is it, but eco friendly for sure!

Mods, I am not sure if this is the most appropriate thread to post this. Request you to move the post to a suitable thread if necessary.

Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 20:44   #1042
BHPian

Palm leaves, cut and bunched together, are often used as brooms in rural areas where coconut/tal/date/betelnut etc grow commonly. This fellow was simply using one straight from nature ! Also able to cover larger area per sweep !!
SnakemanJohny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 21:27   #1043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
See how this attendant at the petrol pump sweeps the floor. Saw this at HP petrol pump (at Hotel Gujarat) before Basavkalyan on way from Pune to Hyderabad.

Don't know how effective is it, but eco friendly for sure!

Mods, I am not sure if this is the most appropriate thread to post this. Request you to move the post to a suitable thread if necessary.
Used one today, so don't know how to respond.

Sometimes would be too lazy to sweep the fallen leaves with ordinary broomstick.
If there is a fallen coconut leaf/branch(?), would take that and sweep.

Larger area covered.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 00:12   #1044
BHPian

I was returning from Ahmedabad to Vadodara with my wife a year back. It was an Ola rental car. The driver was a decent chap, usual chit-chat on the expressway. Suddenly a Tata Indica wanted to take over from the left with heavy traffic in both the lanes. It was not possible to give him way and the driver rightly did not slow down to gave him way. The Indica driver was looking furious I could see rage in his eyes as we were parallel to each other.

He kept his car behind ours. And when the traffic cleared he overtook us and made us stop the car. Now I was a bit worried when our driver stopped our car. The Indica driver came to our driver and said, "is this the way to drive ? Don't you you must always give way to the police ?"

I was a tad worried now. But our driver gave him an earful, never heard anyone speaking like this to a policeman. Now the policeman was worried. He mumbled that we must follow him to the nearest police station. My wife who is a TV journalist at once asked him his ID. We could see in his eyes that he's thinks of bailing now. He mumbled a few words to the driver and apologised to us and left.

The driver said that this is normal and a regular thing for them. Its mostly the junior ranks that do this to them. Indeed sad but I guess it's the reality we live in. He also said that his best customers are among the police and he respects them a lot.Well a few rotten apples I guess. But was a rollercoaster of an experience for us for sure.
raj.singh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:54   #1045
BHPian

Quite an unusual ride & riding gear combo.
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_20201214_155623__01.jpg  

crdi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:51   #1046
BHPian

This was back in 2010/2011 and we had gone to attend my wife's colleague’s kid's birthday party. We parked our car on the street in the evening (around 7), just about when vehicles had turned on their headlights.

As we were getting out of our car, we noticed another of my wife's colleague and her husband parking their month old car in front of us. After they parked their car and had joined us, we were walking to the venue, when I noticed that the headlights of their vehicle were still on. I pointed it out to the husband, and he told me that the headlights had to be kept ON, when parking the vehicle on the road in the night.

I had to educate him about the fallacy of that and explain the difference between the headlights and the hazard lights.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:15   #1047
BHPian

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-hyundai-doll-house.jpg

The "Light Bulb" moment when you decide to turn your car into a Doll house .

I saw this car a few times in my locality; it was the fifth time when I clicked this photo. I don't have a photo to prove, so you have trust my words when I say this guy's Stuff-Toy collection even extends to his dashboard .

What really bothers me though, is that this guy drives with the ORVMs folded, and it's pretty much evident that the function of IRVM has been totally rendered useless ; not a safe way to drive IMO .

SB
SB08121980 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:45   #1048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB08121980 View Post
What really bothers me though, is that this guy drives with the ORVMs folded, and it's pretty much evident that the function of IRVM has been totally rendered useless ; not a safe way to drive IMO .
I'd have put this one in the bad drivers thread.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 11:46   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

RJ - "It's been almost 4 months that MVD authorities have drastically reduced checking".

At the exact same time, notice what's there on the left side of the road . Talk about timing.

naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:59   #1050
BHPian

One must be really talented to drive a TT through busy main roads with such limited visibility at night time especially.

Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road-img_20210117_193831.jpg
Funny is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks