Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 22:40   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

It was 2011, 06.10.2011.
It was Vijaya Dasami day, called Dasara in Telangana.
I was driving a newspaper transport vehicle that day. The so called India's National News Paper didn't had a holiday on Dasara., Then.

After completing 2/3 of my journey, I found that the dynamo was malfunctioning.

I phoned my mechanics and support staff.

Meanwhile, I tried to stop vehicles who might take the newspaper parcels.

Those were days the agitation for a seperate Telangana were in full swing .

A truck stopped. I requested the driver to give me a lift. He ordered his assistant to load the bundles into the truck, and dropped me off 14 kilometres away where my men and my vehicles were waiting.

I offered him money, he wouldn't take it.

This kind of show of humanity is always everywhere. Only, we clog it with our selfishness.
simplyself is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 03:33   #737
BHPian

This happened way back in 2005/06 at my hometown Pondicherry. I was in Diploma and I used work for FEDEX during my semester holidays. I delivered a package to the company which is 20kms away from the city limit. While returning one guy asked for a lift and I obliged. I was talking to him while driving and stopped in the middle for refueling the bike and started back as usual speaking to that guy.
I was speaking nonstop for five minutes and didn’t get any response from him. Only then I realized that the guy didn’t get into the bike after the fuel break and I left him there and started back. I felt sorry for that guy and then had hearty laugh since I was speaking loudly thinking that there was a pillion behind me .
hema4saran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 13:36   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I was speaking nonstop for five minutes and didn’t get any response from him. Only then I realized that the guy didn’t get into the bike after the fuel break and I left him there and started back. I felt sorry for that guy and then had hearty laugh since I was speaking loudly thinking that there was a pillion behind me .
So did you go back and pick him up?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 03:02   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
So did you go back and pick him up?
No. Those where the times I was running on fuel allowances given by the company and I need to squeeze maximum out of the allowances given to me. So couldn't go back and also time constraints.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 09:02   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I was speaking nonstop for five minutes and didn’t get any response from him.
What time of the day/ night was it? If it has something to do with someone from the beyond, then perhaps you need to post in the spooky experiences thread
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 17:13   #741
BHPian

I have 2 such instances wherein I will always be indebted to people of hill states Himachal and Uttarakhand.

Incident 1
Dalhousie - Feb 2006
================
I was traveling with my 2 best friends (1 male, 1 female) and the first day in Dalhousie was a usual affair ending with a dinner at a restaurant in the main market when suddenly the wind picked up speed and became unusually chilly. Sensing it might rain soon, we left for our hotel room quickly and hit the sack.
Next morning I was woken up by my friend who jumped on to my bed and I felt like a wild grizzly had pounced on me. It took me a couple of minutes after that to realize that it had snowed outside the whole night and that's what the excitement was all about. Among other happy feelings of finally catching the first snowfall, a dark, creepy feeling crawled up that said to me, "dude, we have a train to catch from Pathankot for Delhi, what if all the roads are blocked due to heave snowfall?"
What happened in the next 45 minutes is a long story for some other time, but the short of it was that we decided to walk all the way to Banikhet (8 kms) away in 2-3 feet snow with 'inadequate' clothing and footwear as someone at the hotel told us that the roads were clear after Banikhet.

So we started our journey through the snow, walking, falling, treading, jumping, and we finally reached Banikhet at around 4 in the evening and to our dismay we were told that the roads are clear only after 5 more kilometers. Now we were totally exhausted and the condition of our female friend wasn't that great by now, we decided to check in it a hotel in Banikhet for the night as our train was for the next evening. This is when things started to go awry. I noticed a hotel about 400 meters away UP on a steep inclined and went to inquire if accommodation was available, leaving my 2 friends waiting for my confirmations call (yes mobiles were working). I got the room and called up my friends at least 10-times each on the cellphones and no answer. I decided to go check my self when I noticed from the top that my male friend was sitting down on the snow and our female friend was lying on the ground.
I made a hasty dash in the snow and before I could reach them I saw 2 Himachali women running towards them who had seen my friends from their house on the top of the mountain. To my horror our female friend was totally passed out and we were starting to panic.The Himachali women told us to be calm and helped us carry our friend to the hotel room. We were still thinking what to do when one woman brought HOT water and slowly started to put on our friend's feet and the other started to rub her hands. Within no time our female friend came back to senses though in a state of shock. The two women then offered tea, food and took great care of all of us and only left after ensuring that our friend was all ok. They also knew a local doctor nearby and got him to visit and check our friend. The doc told that our friend had suffered water loss and fainted due to exhaustion and would be fine after a night's rest. All was fine the next morning, the snowfall had subsided and after a walk of 2 kilometres in the snow we finally got a cab to Pathankot and were able to board our train.
The warmth and helpful nature of the two Himachali women, the doctor, the help in the hotel at Banikhet was unmatched and I will always be grateful to them for coming to our rescue.

Incident 2
Between Chakrta - Tuni - Dec 2012
===========================
It was at about 5 in the evening when we left Chakrata moving towards Tiuni. The roads are virtually non-existent on this route and we had grossly misjudged the expected time of arrival in Tiuni. At around 8:30 in the night, we were in the middle of nowhere and we took a wrong turn only to find a dead end and a couple of houses. The locals heard the noise of our car and came out. We asked them way to Tiuni and they told we had come the wrong way and told us about the correct way. We were about to leave after thanking them and they started to insist that it is too late and we should stay at their place for the night. When we politely said no and told them we need to be in Tiuni tonight, they said at-least have dinner before you leave.
Imagine in a place like Delhi, something like this happening? Never I say.
This again is just one more of numerous examples of the warm hospitality of the simple, hardworking people from the hills.
sandman_30 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 03:59   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What time of the day/ night was it? If it has something to do with someone from the beyond, then perhaps you need to post in the spooky experiences thread
Nah!! It was 6PM in the evening. It was not at all a spooky one . I was very well aware that I left him there and also I know that someone would have dropped him as it was busy petrol pump and people will always be coming there during day time.
Old 4th March 2018, 11:46   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Today, at around 1.30 PM I was driving in Salt Lake, Sector I (Kolkata), the post office being on my left. I was on the fast lane. I saw white Dzire coming bang opposite me. Thats when I realized there was a cut in the road, on my right, which I anticipated the Dzire wanted to go. There was an auto on my immediate left. I had to bring my car to a complete standstill to let the Dzire pass through. On a glance at my car's rear view mirror, I spotted a police man riding a bike. Since I stopped my car, he too had to stop.

After the Dzire passed by (an Ola), i started driving, assuming the cop shall take a U turn and stop the Dzire to penalize him for driving on the wrong side of the road, but that did not happen.

I pulled my car over to the left and waved to the police man to stop which he did. I told him in Bengali "Sir, you saw that car coming on the wrong side of the road, please stop him and penalize him", to which I get a reply "Bhai (brother), these things keep happening, you keep your eyes on the road and drive safe". I was like WHAT!
The problem in India is that a Cop is not so in totality. Only if he is a Traffic Cop and that too in his own designated area, can he take an action - mostly a threat of stern action followed by Bribe to let go any further action.
Any other Cop is less than general public - a silent spectator.
Old 23rd March 2018, 15:48   #744
Senior - BHPian

Back in 2012, I was on my way to work and waiting at the bus stop in the morning. The location was the busy Paud Road in Pune.
All of a sudden, right in front of me , but on the opposite side of the road, I saw a guy on a motorcycle chasing down another one on a grey Bajaj scooter and finally cut across and made him stop.
*WOW* , I thought, a street fight first thing in the morning... But what happened next surprised me. Bike guy folded his hands and was pleading with the scooter guy. Then he took a pair of shoes dangling from his bike handlebars and again started pleading.
That's when I noticed that the scooter guy was riding barefoot! And the bike guy was pleading with him to put some footwear on! After a couple of minutes of drama, the scooter guy finally put on his socks, and then the shoes, started his scooter and rode away. So did the bike guy. All this in the middle of a busy road early in the morning!
Till date I am still guessing what could be the reason for this unusual "street fight".
sajo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:44   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Till date I am still guessing what could be the reason for this unusual "street fight".
Maybe the son riding the motorcycle didn't polish his dad's shoes on time in the morning for work.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:49   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Maybe the son riding the motorcycle didn't polish his dad's shoes on time in the morning for work.

The scooter guy was older than the bike guy , but not old enough to be his dad. But one never knows.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 22:13   #747
BHPian

Not sure if this qualifies for this thread, but still sharing.

Never seen a car fly in India due to water pout.

Name:  BoleroFly.gif
Views: 2792
Size:  2.02 MB

Looks like Mumbai. But not sure.
prithm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 16:13   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes this is mumbai. Was a pipe burst from a major water supply pipe.
Old 29th March 2018, 20:37   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly qualifies as unusual... and terrifying!

Water can look so innocuous and be so powerful.
Old 30th March 2018, 09:48   #750
Senior - BHPian

From water to another deadly element:
A PMPML bus caught fire yesterday in Pune. A colleague passing by (on the other side of the road to the video shared below) told us of some bright sparks (pun intended) taking selfies with/ in front of the bus when the flames started off

Article link:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62892256.cms

Video taken off youtube:

Unfortunately, buses catching fire does not seem so unusual in Pune these days
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks