Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:01   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Dotty, what I meant was, seeing the Xylo fly high in front of anyone would have been scary. Plus, the rear ending part was logical, since at high speeds on the E-Way, rear endings are quite possible, when sudden braking plays into effect.

I am so tempted to buy that sticker - "Honk/flash to see the finger". Any pointers as to where I could buy them? A lot of us would actually use them on our cars!
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:10   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I am so tempted to buy that sticker - "Honk/flash to see the finger". Any pointers as to where I could buy them? A lot of us would actually use them on our cars!
If you come across a sticker that says "Vinaa karan horn vajavlyaas kinva light vaparlyaas apmaan kela jail", please do let me know. I will unabashedly sport it on my car and 2 wheeler!

Also, is it just me or have you folks also noticed that the number of wrong side drivers gone up drastically even on arterial roads? My commute takes me via Karve Rd, Fergusson Road, Bund Garden Rd and JM Rd, and in the past couple of months I can see a noticeable rise in the number of wrong side cowboys/girls!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:53   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you come across a sticker that says "Vinaa karan horn vajavlyaas kinva light vaparlyaas apmaan kela jail", please do let me know. I will unabashedly sport it on my car and 2 wheeler!
That's a good one. Check this out:

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-images.jpg
MandarMax is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 13:37   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Story of a Flying Xylo:
What next? Did everyone gang up and bash them to pulp?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Finally I spot an opening in the left lane and carefully steer into it, all the way this guy is going flash-flash-flash and when I do, he just zooms ahead and starts doing it to the next vehicle ahead of me!

In any case, I am happy to have such impatient and anxious drivers ahead of me rather than behind!
Yes noop, I agree its better to have these people ahead of you. But in my case I give them the same treatment that they gave me. And to make things worse for them, I dont overtake them either. So they get an overdose. Only do that when I am driving alone. Dont want the son to see my horns and tail. Not yet.

It is a bit of a dilemma when they overtake the vehicle in front of them, but I usually follow them and continue the treatment. I do need stronger lights though. Or maybe a missile launcher.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:45   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Those trucks are a major cause of pain, even on the E-Way. Specially in the ghat section. Especially, past midnight. But then, what would those guys do? They need to traverse that route too. It would have been better to have a seperate truck lane. But if only, wishes were horses!
I totally agree with you there.
Wish there was a separate E-way for them trucks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post

Monaro, must be some experience, seeing a Xylo flying 10m ahead of you. But I wonder why Swanand made that comment about a Superb and your car.
Dot, the sight of a flying Xylo would have been ghastly for the person coming from the oncoming Mumbai Bound lane!
And we all know swanand's love for the superb

Quote:
Dotty, what I meant was, seeing the Xylo fly high in front of anyone would have been scary. Plus, the rear ending part was logical, since at high speeds on the E-Way, rear endings are quite possible, when sudden braking plays into effect.
Yes mate.
What scared me was, the sight of an airborne MUV (even though I was safe, considering it was flying the other way and not onto my face), & then my lane getting covered in a thick cloud of dust. Had to anticipate that the road covered in the dust cloud was still ok.

It was lucky that both sides of the road had traffic spaced out - I mean even after my sudden braking the car behind me could perceive the same brake accordingly. Similar luck played on the other side. But that superb barley missed the Xylo by a few inches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What next? Did everyone gang up and bash them to pulp?!
Mitra, who would want to waste time doing that? Them drunk fellas had the living daylights scared out of them.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:34   #756
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a different challenge these days.

A couple of months ago a small tyre wala opened up in my area and I was happy that I can fill up the right pressure within 2 KM radius of my house. I went there one day after filling in my Cedia's tires with my own compressor (filled to 30 psi).
To my horror, when this guy checked with his gauge the reading was around 15 psi. The same reading for all my tires. I told him that his gauge is incorrect and then showed him the reading on my compressor.
He said, it could be the case - he has just opened his shop recently. He asked me to measure the pressure on a two wheeler where he had filled in some time back. The pressure on that front tyre of Hero Honda was around 50 psi.

So, I left him there and thought I will continue using my compressor for now.

A couple of days ago, I saw another tyre wala opened up on Nagar road. Now, this was a good option for me too, since it is pretty close to the house.
I had not checked my Zen's tyre pressure for quite some time, so I thought I will get this at the new shop.
I went there and asked him to fill 30 psi. He took his gauge and checked the pressure on the first tire. It was more than 40 psi on his gauge. I was shocked. The remaining tyres were all around 45 psi. He reduced the pressure to 30 psi and I left after paying him Rs. 5. The ride was a lot better - less noise over bad roads and I felt less undulations.

This morning, I checked the tyre pressure with my compressor and I found that the pressure on all tyres is 25 psi (he had set it to 30 psi on his gauge).

So, I decided to check the tyre pressure again with him.
But before I could reach there, the old tyre wala's shop was open. I asked him if his gauge problem was solved. He said, the old one was bad and he got a new one for Rs. 300 from the corporation. I was happy that I could help him detect his problem.
So, I asked him to check pressure on the tyres of my Zen with his new gauge. The readings were only 5-10 psi all around. Again, this was a problem. I told him that the new gauge is also not working. He checked with this old gauge and the reading was again close to 0-5 psi. I showed him the reading on my gauge was 25 psi. He was disappointed.
He said, despite getting a new gauge the problem is not solved. Plus he is facing huge electricity bills. He was dejected.

So, I asked him to fill up my spare tyre and then measure with the new gauge. His reading was 30 psi. I said, I will get back to you in the evening and left.
Then I went to the new tyre fellow and told him what had happened.
He checked the pressure on my spare and it showed 60 psi. Now, I was shocked!
Then I checked with my compressor and it showed 50 psi.
He checked again and the reading was 60 psi, but he noticed that the needle rests at 10 psi marking and not at 0. So he concluded that this 60 psi is actually 50 psi and matches with my compressor. I was OK with that.
Then I asked him to check the reading on the other tyres and it showed 40 psi all around - which would be 30 psi as per him.
However, my gauge shows 25 psi for the same tyres.

Now, I am not sure which gauge to trust and which to avoid.

Last edited by S_U_N : 5th January 2012 at 14:36.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 14:50   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

NOM, but this sounded much like a Chandamama story

I agree you have a challenge at hand and made me think if my tires are running on correct pressure! But 5 Psi is about 15% of your desired pressure, so I guess you are good to go with the compressor you have.

Try and maintain 32-33 and see if that changed your ride comfort.

Last edited by anilisanil : 5th January 2012 at 14:53.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:52   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This experience can be attached various adjectives, weird, funny, irritating, frustrating, confusing, etc. On a lighter note, I feel like I have 200 PSI pressure in my head after reading your long post.

P.S. I am now doubtful about the pressure in Vista's tyres. I usually do it from a small tyre shop in Bavdhan, adjacent to the petrol pump. Unfortunately, i don't have a compressor to find out if there is any problem.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 5th January 2012 at 14:54.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:57   #759
Senior - BHPian

I stick to reputed shops to do the job. Any tyre shop would have correct equipment to check the pressure. If not, then head to reputed fuel stations to do the job.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:09   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, my gauge shows 25 psi for the same tyres.

Now, I am not sure which gauge to trust and which to avoid.
Your post made an interesting read & I was like

Have one suggestion. Go to a good bunk having a good electronic tyre pressure checking machine. Ask him to set the company recommended pressure eg 30 psi & fill in your tyres. Immediately after that check the tyre pressure with your pressure guage/ compressor & note the reading, if it is says 25 psi, then you have an error on -5 psi on your instrument. Next time when you fill/check the tyre pressure with your compressor make sure your reading hovers around the 25 psi mark.

On a side note, I have long back stopped visiting any kind of tyre wallah. (leave aside tyre pressure checking, not even for puncture removal). I was royally ripped by a local tyre fellow for INR 670/- for fixing 3 punctures & replacing one unwanted (so called) steel valve for INR 450/- (due to his self inflicted damage)

Till date I have fixed 3 punctures with the help of tubeless tyre puncture repair kit. I have a portable 12V compressor in my car & a simple sliding scale type pressure guage (very reliable). Also I have a foot pump kept at home. Will all these tools my visits to tyre shops have become extinct.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 5th January 2012 at 15:11.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 16:02   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stick to reputed shops to do the job. Any tyre shop would have correct equipment to check the pressure. If not, then head to reputed fuel stations to do the job.
That would be my wish, but the bunks and the bigger shops are all quite far from my place. Since pressure should be measured when tires are cold, I am not having this option as such.

I will have to try this with my spare tyre one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Your post made an interesting read & I was like

Have one suggestion. Go to a good bunk having a good electronic tyre pressure checking machine. Ask him to set the company recommended pressure eg 30 psi & fill in your tyres. Immediately after that check the tyre pressure with your pressure guage/ compressor & note the reading, if it is says 25 psi, then you have an error on -5 psi on your instrument. Next time when you fill/check the tyre pressure with your compressor make sure your reading hovers around the 25 psi mark.

I have a portable 12V compressor in my car & a simple sliding scale type pressure guage (very reliable). Also I have a foot pump kept at home. Will all these tools my visits to tyre shops have become extinct.
What is a sliding scale type pressure guage? Any photos?
Old 5th January 2012, 16:37   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is a sliding scale type pressure guage? Any photos?
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of my gauge, but I have downloaded one which is almost the same (refer picture below). This is a pencil type gauge (easily fits in your pocket). It has a sliding graduated scale which moves inside a steel tube. When you hold one end of the gauge over the valve, the sliding scale is pushed out of the tube casing proportionate to the air pressure inside the tyre. This gives a fairly accurate reading of the tyre pressure (+/- 2 psi)

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-pencil-type-tyre-pressure-gauge.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:50   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of my gauge, but I have downloaded one which is almost the same (refer picture below). This is a pencil type gauge (easily fits in your pocket). It has a sliding graduated scale which moves inside a steel tube. When you hold one end of the gauge over the valve, the sliding scale is pushed out of the tube casing proportionate to the air pressure inside the tyre. This gives a fairly accurate reading of the tyre pressure (+/- 2 psi)
That is a handy scale and not too difficult to carry. Now the next question. Where did you get this from and how much did you pay?
Old 5th January 2012, 17:54   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Go to a good bunk having a good electronic tyre pressure checking machine. Ask him to set the company recommended pressure eg 30 psi & fill in your tyres. Immediately after that check the tyre pressure with your pressure guage/ compressor & note the reading, if it is says 25 psi, then you have an error on -5 psi on your instrument. Next time when you fill/check the tyre pressure with your compressor make sure your reading hovers around the 25 psi mark.
Exactly the way to go and I have tried it works really well , either you wuld suggest the pump guys to get their machines callibrated or you would understand the difference between your and the pump machine (readings).

You just need to try this on a couple of pumps on a single go and you can easily establish a pattern .
Old 5th January 2012, 17:55   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
That is a handy scale and not too difficult to carry. Now the next question. Where did you get this from and how much did you pay?
I am so sorry guys, don't know the price or the place from where to get it from. Actually this gauge came along the "Car Kit", which I got from my employer as a Thanks Gift.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks