Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:17   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

The road to Sinhagad has always been in bad state. Especially after the monsoons. What with falling debris and narrow roads, its a nightmare to drive our cars up there. Specially sedans.

Dotty, you were lucky that the Civic didnt bottom out. Which, honetsly is also surprising!
Oh BTW, where is the toll? Never knew that there was a boothj setup out there.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:17   #737
BHPian

Its not a toll per se but entry tax levied by forest dept at the foothill ( the point where the climb to Sinhgarh starts by road) they had started this practice couple of years back. This is also the point where they check you are not taking liquor
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:18   #738
BHPian

Story of a Flying Xylo:

Last Friday (30th Dec.) at around 9pm, while coming back from Mumbai, I noticed a yellow plated, brand new Xylo being driven rashly and badly; swerving between lanes to get ahead.

This idiot whizzed past me on the service lane while I was on the left most lane, at the start of the Khandala ghat. He was doing around 120kmph & I noticed that he was weaving between cars & lanes.

After about 5 mins we cross the first tunnel, there's a traffic jam. I see him again..
Swerving very very Badly. Seemed like a drunk pavtya driver with an equally pavtya co-driver.
The last I see him trying to overtake a Private Bus (which is happily moving in the center lane), from the right most lane. He tries to cut too close. The Left rear of the Xylo is about to touch the front right of the bus. This idiot tries to correct that by quick swerving to the right (again).

But its too late..

Next, I see the Xylo Flying !!!
A good altitude of about 9-10 ft. Thick cloud of dust.
I'm right behind him!
The distance between us is around 10meters. Enough for me to react to the situation and slam the brakes, slowing down.

The Xylo driver's last swerve, boats that big car right into the center divider, the car is airborne & covers around 7-8m & lands into the opposite side's fast lane! A black superb coming from Pune side, screeches to a halt - barely inches away, preventing a head-on with the just landed Xylo!!

Within seconds a lot of cars screech to a halt behind the Superb & also on the other 2 Mumbai Bound lanes. I'm thinking, boy this is going to be one big pile up!

The outcome:
1. After flying: The High CG Xylo lands on all fours! But only after going wheelie on the left side once & the right side once. Has lost its front axle, Wheels, front Bumper, etc.
2. The drunk (to the core) driver and his equally drunk friend step out unscathed!
3. No pile-up of cars in the opposite lane - huge disaster averted!
4. A big traffic jam on Mumbai bound lanes.

So much so, for them drunken fellows: It wasn't a Happy New year for them; but a "Happy Birthday!!"

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 2nd January 2012 at 16:42.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:38   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Wow! That was quite an experience. Had been on the same route but 1-2 hours earlier. Also did you notice a huge jam at the start of expressway (at Panvel on the Pune - Mumbai side)? The jam was close to 3+ kms long. Didn't notice what was the reason for the jam at the begining.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:53   #740
BHPian

One thing I hate about many drivers in Pune (and also in many places in India) is the habit of flashing lights on oncoming vehicles. For some reason people think that this gives them right of the way and they don’t have to brake. (It may be useful if you believe the other driver is not watching the road, but it’s highly irritating and is also momentarily blinding for many). I would like to quote one recent incident -

It is around 6 pm, it’s getting dark. I am taking a right turn near my home, I have my right indicator on and I’m giving way to oncoming vehicles. Since the road isn’t much wide there are vehicles held up behind me, but since it’s been only a few seconds they are not complaining yet (no honking!). After the road is clearer I decide to turn, there is an oncoming biker who is further away and can safely stop because he can see that I’m turning, however the idiot decides to speed up instead of braking and starts flashing his headlamp (upper <-> dipper) which irritates me and forces me to brake hard, there is just enough space for him to pass, but somehow he also manages to stop. I pull the window down -

I: Tula disat nahiye ki far ghai zaliye var janyachi? (Did you not see me or are you in a hurry to meet the almighty?)
Guy: Light marla na evdha.. disat nahi ka tumhala? (I flashed the lights, did you not see?)
I: Murkha light kaay martos, brake maar, brake! Lightane gadi thambat nahi tuzi kinwa samorchi…#@#@# (Idiot! use brakes not lights! Lights won't force either your or my vehicle to stop. Then some Marathi expletives which basically use couple of English alphabets that come after letter ‘X’ )

After this I decide it's enough and move on and fortunately so does the idiot.

Last edited by MandarMax : 2nd January 2012 at 17:05.
MandarMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:26   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^ Wow! That was quite an experience. Had been on the same route but 1-2 hours earlier. Also did you notice a huge jam at the start of expressway (at Panvel on the Pune - Mumbai side)? The jam was close to 3+ kms long. Didn't notice what was the reason for the jam at the begining.
That jam was due to the narrow lane which is besides the Expressway Start Flyover. This lane goes on to Kalamboli & further to Panvel City.
You could imagine a 4 lane road merging into a 1 lane. That's where all the people coming from Mumbai & who want to go to Panvel, land up in; while the Pune bound traffic also face the brunt of that bottleneck.

Kalamboli is also an area where Huge Container Trucks get parked before/ after their visit to JNPT. These trucks also add (or rather, are a big factor) to the melee of that darn traffic jam at the start of the Eway.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:40   #742
Senior - BHPian

Those trucks are a major cause of pain, even on the E-Way. Specially in the ghat section. Especially, past midnight. But then, what would those guys do? They need to traverse that route too. It would have been better to have a seperate truck lane. But if only, wishes were horses!

@Monaro: That flying Xylo incident was scary indeed. Must've scared the guts outta you and that Superb driver. Surprising that he (or you) wasnt rear ended.
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:02   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

@MandarMax- that's a very common occurrence in Pune and across India in fact- people see you signalling for a turn or lane change and speed UP instead of slowing down. Dippy had even started a thread on it sometime ago.

What I hate even more is some car coming up behind me when I am moving perfectly in synch with the other traffic (i.e. not slowing anybody down or anything) and going flash-flash-flash till I make way and then he moves ahead and does the same thing to the car in front of me! It's absolutely maddening behaviour and I have not yet been able to figure it out. Does that mean the person driving thinks ONLY they have the right to get to their destination quickly and the rest of us are idiots impeding their way?
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:11   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I: Tula disat nahiye ki far ghai zaliye var janyachi? (Did you not see me or are you in a hurry to meet the almighty?)
Guy: Light marla na evdha.. disat nahi ka tumhala? (I flashed the lights, did you not see?)
I: Murkha light kaay martos, brake maar, brake! Lightane gadi thambat nahi tuzi kinwa samorchi…#@#@# (Idiot! use brakes not lights! Lights won't force either your or my vehicle to stop. Then some Marathi expletives which basically use couple of English alphabets that come after letter ‘X’ )
That was a hilarious exchange Mandar! Where was this ?

Indeed, people think they can get away with anything by switching on their lights and/or flashing.
Once in Hinjewadi there was a long line of vehicles slowly moving ahead on the "correct" side of the road. However, one moron decided we were all too stupid to do so and promptly switched on his headlights, and crossed over to the wrong side, only to slam his brakes in a hurry after coming face to face with a HCV. The guy had the gall to actually stop the CV guy, and yell at him "Tula light disat nahi ka..?" <Dont you see the lights?>

I think whenever I have to shoot someone next, I will do so with my headlights on, because that will absolve me of any wrongdoings on Indian roads!
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:34   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
That was a hilarious exchange Mandar! Where was this ?
This was near Navasahyadri society, Karve Nagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I think whenever I have to shoot someone next, I will do so with my headlights on, because that will absolve me of any wrongdoings on Indian roads!
That's so funny man. Shoot 'em with a headlight! Upper use jeene nahi dega aur dipper usko marne nahi dega! ha ha ha!!!

Last edited by MandarMax : 2nd January 2012 at 18:37.
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:17   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

What I hate even more is some car coming up behind me when I am moving perfectly in synch with the other traffic (i.e. not slowing anybody down or anything) and going flash-flash-flash till I make way and then he moves ahead and does the same thing to the car in front of me! It's absolutely maddening behaviour and I have not yet been able to figure it out. Does that mean the person driving thinks ONLY they have the right to get to their destination quickly and the rest of us are idiots impeding their way?
@Anoop,
I might have to disagree with you here considering my (below) assumptions are valid.

Is this on a express highway where you are the rightmost lane, while the middle and/or left lane are empty? Also assuming you & the rest of cars in front of you are going at a reduced speed (as compared to the average speeds of 80+ on the expressway)

If so, then he/she is quite correct in doing that. I have seen that happening numerous times on the expressway, and in many cases there is only one car in question. Of course I can overtake from the left, but that isn't the correct way to do. Please note the way to flash at a car might be done quite differently as in my case and yours.

Be it expressway or normal city roads, if I am not the one going at high speeds, I generally stick to the left/center depending on the width of the road.

P.s. Lot of assumptions in my reply. Please take it as the basis of an argument only, I can be wrong too.
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:55   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Ninja-

This is not on the e-way, where I stick to the middle lane except for overtaking. Don't get me started on those that don't

Am talking about the 4-lane NH4 bypass from Wakad flyover to Sus road exit. In peak hour, both lanes are usually busy, with the right lane slightly faster than the left (as it should be). Suddenly a big SUV draws very near me (in the fast lane, with me doing 60-70 and maintaining a normal distance from the car in front) and starts flashing ominously. At first I wonder- is this a friendly BHPian whose spotted my stickers (unlikely, since mine are MOST discreet ) Then I start wondering- is one of my doors open? Or my tyre pressure too low? etc. Finally I spot an opening in the left lane and carefully steer into it, all the way this guy is going flash-flash-flash and when I do, he just zooms ahead and starts doing it to the next vehicle ahead of me!

I have noticed this is a bit of a habit especially with big SUV/MUV drivers for whom possibly the consideration that they are inconveniencing fellow drivers is far outweighed by the fact that they need to get to their destination NOW!

In any case, I am happy to have such impatient and anxious drivers ahead of me rather than behind!
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:19   #748
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

I have noticed this is a bit of a habit especially with big SUV/MUV drivers for whom possibly the consideration that they are inconveniencing fellow drivers is far outweighed by the fact that they need to get to their destination NOW!

In any case, I am happy to have such impatient and anxious drivers ahead of me rather than behind!
I never give way when I encounter such behavior. If they have the BHP, let them overtake me, unless we are in a particularly benevolent mood. But I agree with you that these guys are better off infront rather than behind.

Monaro, must be some experience, seeing a Xylo flying 10m ahead of you. But I wonder why Swanand made that comment about a Superb and your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Dotty, you were lucky that the Civic didnt bottom out. Which, honetsly is also surprising!
Oh BTW, where is the toll? Never knew that there was a boothj setup out there.
Yeah, I was also surprised.
The toll was right at the start of the ghat section. I have no clue of the name of the place.

Last edited by dot : 2nd January 2012 at 20:27.
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:56   #749
Senior - BHPian

[quote=noopster;2629682What I hate even more is some car coming up behind me when I am moving perfectly in synch with the other traffic (i.e. not slowing anybody down or anything) and going flash-flash-flash till I make way and then he moves ahead and does the same thing to the car in front of me! It's absolutely maddening behaviour and I have not yet been able to figure it out. Does that mean the person driving thinks ONLY they have the right to get to their destination quickly and the rest of us are idiots impeding their way?[/quote]

Sometimes flash-flash is also accompanied by honk-honk. I have also experienced this many times and in most cases the vehicles are the Innova's or Scorps or some other SUVs.

Sometimes i given them the way and then when they are ahead of me help up in traffic i also flash-flash/honk just for the heck of it. Trying to give him the taste of his own medicine.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:50   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Sometimes flash-flash is also accompanied by honk-honk. I have also experienced this many times and in most cases the vehicles are the Innova's or Scorps or some other SUVs.

Sometimes i given them the way and then when they are ahead of me help up in traffic i also flash-flash/honk just for the heck of it. Trying to give him the taste of his own medicine.
Had this experience recently on NH9 by an ST bus. Once I gave way for peace of mind. Then maybe the bus would have stopped somewhere and again the same story repeated and this time it was chaotic traffic. Decided to play the game this time, esp because wife and kid were happily sleeping at the back

So, I didnt give way and slowed down my car too. After a while when the road was much clear, just zoomed off. Simple pleasures of life

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks