Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 18:02   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

So I was driving on the flyover after Swargate, near Kumar Pacific Mall, where suddenly at one point of time, the last lane is closed from the middle of the flyover. Inspite of noticing this (its visible from quite far) , an Innova guy zoomed from the left, and then both of us were at that point, he simply swerved left to be in the middle lane, inspite of me being there. I braked hard, but still couldnt avoid his rear end hitting my mirror.

Ohh, and the Innova guy was too busy on the phone to notice as well. Looked like a thug too.
Old 31st December 2011, 07:07   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
So I was driving on the flyover after Swargate, near Kumar Pacific Mall, where suddenly at one point of time, the last lane is closed from the middle of the flyover. Inspite of noticing this (its visible from quite far) , an Innova guy zoomed from the left, and then both of us were at that point, he simply swerved left to be in the middle lane, inspite of me being there. I braked hard, but still couldnt avoid his rear end hitting my mirror.

Ohh, and the Innova guy was too busy on the phone to notice as well. Looked like a thug too.
Too bad. I usually don't hold my ground when dealing with such morons. I let them go.Bad luck bro.
Old 31st December 2011, 07:10   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I braked hard, but still couldnt avoid his rear end hitting my mirror.

Sorry to read this. All i can say that you are lucky that only the mirror was the casualty. Thank the stars for it.

And by the way was the Innova the yellow plate variety?
Old 31st December 2011, 09:19   #724
dot
Senior - BHPian

While we understand that keeping a safe braking distance can lead to lower changes of getting rear ended, some of the experiences we were discussing had nothing to do with distance in front and braking behavior. Sometimes people just come and crash on you.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 11:57   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Too bad. I usually don't hold my ground when dealing with such morons. I let them go.Bad luck bro.
I do so too. Usually. But this was so obvious for the Innova guy that there was no room for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Sorry to read this. All i can say that you are lucky that only the mirror was the casualty. Thank the stars for it.

And by the way was the Innova the yellow plate variety?
The Swift's mirrors also fold outward, towards the bonnet, when hit, so thats what saved it from snapping. No yellow plate, normal beige Innova. And I may have made up the "thug" part a bit. I didnt really see who was driving.

On Wednesday evening, something similar happened to the company bus I was travelling home in. Just near the Sayaji strech of the NH4 , another bus from our company suddenly changed lanes, ramming our bus in the right lane. He drove away too, but our driver caught up with him near the Wakad signal, overtook him from the left and parked his bus diagonally across to stop him. Both of them got down and started fighting with the right lane of the highway blocked. Damage to our bus was a smashed class and some minor dings.
My point is, people are supremely insensitive when on the road. "Problem muzhe nahi, usko hai, dekh lega.." is the motto.

PS: Can this be touched up, by say, a colour pen ?

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-image190.jpg

Last edited by sajo : 31st December 2011 at 11:58.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:10   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried Scratch Out already? It would not totally remove the scratch but the visibility of it might be reduced. If you don't want to buy that liquid give me a shout and you can try it out. I always keep the bottle in my car

Coming to blocking roads. Yesterday evening i had the pleasure of blocking a big dumper truck at Chandni Chowk.

The road that we take after leaving the higway to get down to Paud Road is one way and vehicles are not supposed to come up on that road from Paud Road. Yesterday i started to come down from the road and could see one big yellow dumper truck starting the climb up.

Now there was ample space for me to move to the left lane and allow the dumper truck to climb up from the no entry road. But don't know what got into me and i started going on the same lane as the truck and eventually both of us were face to face in the middle of the road.

The truck driver and cleaner were asking me to move aside and allow him to go and i was asking them to go reverse. This continued for 2 minutes. Slowly other cars were going around us and one rick fellow actually was egging me on to not allow the dumper to take the wrong side of the road (not that i wanted any of his pep talks).

Then the cleaner came down to me and asked me to give side as it is a municipality truck. I told him i am not going to move, you have come the wrong way and you have to go reverse. Finally they relented and the truck reversed and i made my way. I am sure after i left the truck must have again taken the wrong side of the road as i could see him waiting at the base of the sloping road. Some sense of satisfaction.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 13:42   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
While we understand that keeping a safe braking distance can lead to lower changes of getting rear ended, some of the experiences we were discussing had nothing to do with distance in front and braking behavior. Sometimes people just come and crash on you.
Like I said ,If you still get rear ended then you can't do any thing about it. It would be bad luck in its purest form.

Quote:
I do so too. Usually. But this was so obvious for the Innova guy that there was no room for him.

Attachment 862329
The first half will be gone, The second half would look bad after touchup.

However I have a better solution.

Time to stick a TBHP sticker on this scratch. It will be dual purpose

Few people have this habit of folding their mirrors, while driving.Thankfully you are not one of them. The OVRM saved the day for you, else it would have been a scratch on the body.

Last edited by F150 : 31st December 2011 at 13:53. Reason: Trying to multi qoute
Old 1st January 2012, 13:10   #728
Senior - BHPian

Some new back breakers have come up on the NDA Pashan road. They start after HEMRL and continue beyond the necklace stretch. Typical twin, sharp humps. They are unpainted and unmarked too. Watch out for those at night because of visibility issues, thanks to poor lighting and high beams.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:49   #729
BHPian

The Speed breakers on NDA Pashan Road were created just before the new year eve. Previously they had those metal ones which were removed by people so they have put the tar ones and on top of that they are twin humps. Wonder who gave them this great idea
Old 1st January 2012, 21:51   #730
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some new back breakers have come up on the NDA Pashan road. They start after HEMRL and continue beyond the necklace stretch. Typical twin, sharp humps. They are unpainted and unmarked too. Watch out for those at night because of visibility issues, thanks to poor lighting and high beams.
Yeah, we saw them being laid on Friday afternoon, after our trip back from Sinhagarh. I thought that their curvatures were too acute.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:57   #731
BHPian

Quote:
So I was driving on the flyover after Swargate, near Kumar Pacific Mall, where suddenly at one point of time, the last lane is closed from the middle of the flyover. In spite of noticing this (it’s visible from quite far) , an Innova guy zoomed from the left, and then both of us were at that point, he simply swerved left to be in the middle lane, in spite of me being there. I braked hard, but still couldn’t avoid his rear end hitting my mirror.

Hmmm..., in our roads, size does matter, no matter who is right or wrong, and most of the guys driving bigger (in size) vehicles have this kind of attitude. Sometime, I feel like getting an Old Mahindra Jeep (with all those solid iron like body/big bumper and rusty outside body ) and driving in the city at least I’ll get respect, no body wants to take "panga" with a vehicle where he/she will suffer more damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Too bad. I usually don't hold my ground when dealing with such morons. I let them go. Bad luck bro.
+1, I usually follow this and give way to any car who is in such a hurry.

Quote:
Why don't you try a local garage?

The reason I say this - once I checked with a local garage (who is authorized Maruti service centre, at least that’s what is mentioned in his garage sign board), he quoted 2K for painting VW ORVM. I guess, for Maruti it’ll be less (as the paint is more in demand because of more customer and easily available). If repainted it’ll be the best, the scratch pen might work fine but in any case, it won't match the exact color.

------------

The road after Mundhwa till the Nagar road crossing is almost complete now. There are only 1-2 diversion where work is in progress, it`s very good now compared to few months ago. The road is wide, mostly 3+3 = 6 lanes with 2+2=4 lane as concrete road.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 1st January 2012 at 22:04. Reason: edit ...
AvonA7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:45   #732
Senior - BHPian

Sinhagad Fort Road closed for next 2 months

Hi Friends, don't know if some has already shared this on this or some other thread, but thought of just informing you that the Sinhagad Fort Road will be closed for next 2 months. The forest department wants to carry out road repair works on the ghat road & no vehicles will be allowed to ply on the ghat road for the next 2 months. However those who are keen on trekking all the way up to the fort can very well do so. I would say this is a good opportunity for all those folks who had dreamt of trekking to Sinhagad fort but could not do so as they could easily take their vehicle to the top. Now you have a good excuse for trekking

p.s:-->Source of info, today's Marathi daily, Maharashtra Times, pg-5, left side

Last edited by AutoIndian : 2nd January 2012 at 09:47.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:08   #733
BHPian

The new Bund Garden Bridge is up and running. And that whole system is now one way. So the old bridge should be used going towards Pune and new bridge while going towards Nagar.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:07   #734
Senior - BHPian

Ojas: Hard luck with that scratch mate! A touch up would surely take care of that scratch. No need of replacement, or the likes.

About that Pashan- Bavdhan road breakers, who the hell sanctions them anyways?
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:11   #735
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sinhagad Fort Road closed for next 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi Friends, don't know if some has already shared this on this or some other thread, but thought of just informing you that the Sinhagad Fort Road will be closed for next 2 months. The forest department wants to carry out road repair works on the ghat road & no vehicles will be allowed to ply on the ghat road for the next 2 months.

And about time.

We took this road last Friday and man, it was in some bad shape. Entire stretch was totally broken up, from the toll (wonder why they were collecting Re50) to the top. Thankfully the car didnt bottom out, otherwise we are crawling at 15-20kmph throughout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks