Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 18:31   #2191
BHPian

Re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

I think compliance of traffic rules has improved marginally in the last year or so. I have also noticed variation in compliance in different areas. Prabhat road and Kothrud is noticeably better than Wagholi for example.
Old 28th February 2023, 12:25   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post

Yet another time, I parked my car at Mangalwarpeth in a 4 WHEELER parking, only to return a couple of hours later to find the car literally surrounded by 2 wheelers, it actually took me half an hour of huffing and puffing in the noon April sun to manage to extract my car from the madness of the PETHs.
Well to take a car to peth is a daring feat indeed. I dont think I've ventured into the peth area with a car in 15 years now .

That said the helmet situation has improved I'd say over the last couple of years.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th February 2023 at 21:11. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 3rd March 2023, 14:23   #2193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prayaglele View Post
Well to take a car to peth is a daring feat indeed. I dont think I've ventured into the peth area with a car in 15 years now .

That said the helmet situation has improved I'd say over the last couple of years.
Haha, I was young, full of hope and not much experience of the PETH areas
Yes the helmet situation has improved to the point that roughly 50% of the 2 wheeler riders wear them. Quite a high number by Pune standards, I must say.
Old 3rd March 2023, 17:00   #2194
BHPian

I stay in the dreaded Peth area. I always tell guests visiting me to come by a scooter or rickshaw. I cannot promise a parking space. The Helmet situation has definitely improved. But I think the number of triple seat riders has gone up. Police personnel standing at the signals don't issue Challans anymore, they are just for traffic management. This has caused their value to go down.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 17:15   #2195
Senior - BHPian

I went to office 3 times in the last one year. I stay in Warje / Karve Nagar area and my office is (was) in Kalyani Nagar.

It is a complete hell driving all the way from Warje to Kalyana Nagar during 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM slot and 5-7:30 PM slots. I have tried all possible routes but it always takes at least 1 hour minutes to 2 hours max one way.

The everlasting metro construction and increased number of morons on the road adds to the woes.

Will the things improve when the whole metro project is completed? Or people would still take out their personal vehicles because the metro is not so accessible / convenient?

Whatever it is, it is extremely frustrating to drive in Pune on any route, unless you commute at off peak times such as 6 AM to 8 AM or 4 PM to 5 PM/9 PM and later.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 23:57   #2196
BHPian

Not a rant, an observation.

Just came across this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5506027 (Surprising traffic discipline in Aizawl, Mizoram)

Not about discipline on the road but the values as expressed in the thread.

Can we learn? Can we hope?
mygodbole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:01   #2197
BHPian

So I visited last week early morning towards south eastern part of Pune(Solapur road). During my return journey, I was surprised to see that not 1 car follows traffic signals and just zooms through it. Since we are quite closely tailed, one has to show the intent of stopping pretty early if you don’t want to be rear ended. All MH12 plates. I suppose the minute line of MH12/MH14 in terms of driving etiquette is erased completely. There will be some exceptions on either side though.

Also, it’s been in news that Chandni Chowk work is about to be completed and some tentative deadline is 1st May. Is there any improvement? I was stuck in traffic this weekend while coming back to city from morning ride at around 9:30 AM. I didn’t found much improvement.
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:44   #2198
BHPian

Chandni chowk situation HAS improved a lot, except for peak office hour rush.

From Baner towards Warje, the bottleneck occurs are the Paud Road off-ramp that is being widened. Should improve once the off-ramp widening is completed. Went on Saturday and, as usual, there were plenty of two- and three-wheelers going in the wrong direction towards Pashan

From Warje towards Aundh, the cause of the bottleneck is that vehicles from Paud Road, heading towards Bhugaon, are forced to merge with highway traffic before taking the off-ramp towards Bhugaon. The Garden Court-Mulshi section of about one kilometre is undergoing some work, forcing vehicles back on the highway and causing chaos.

Apart from peak hours, I have managed to clear the junction in about five minutes in the past month. So, after the widening of the off-ramps, will still need to be wary of wrong-side traffic.
mygodbole is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:37   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
the cause of the bottleneck is that vehicles from Paud Road, heading towards Bhugaon, are forced to merge with highway traffic before taking the off-ramp towards Bhugaon. The Garden Court-Mulshi section of about one kilometre is undergoing some work, forcing vehicles back on the highway and causing chaos.
This! I didn’t understood this on Saturday as to why people are joining in highway in bucket loads only to branch off after 50 mts.
Good to know that this will be taken care soon.
Old 6th April 2023, 18:51   #2200
BHPian

Ok, this is an update from a local news portal:

"National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) is set to divert traffic at Chandani Chowk, Pune, as it lays girders for a new flyover. The work is scheduled to take place from April 15 to 20, and citizens will be informed about alternative routes.

The work of laying girders for the flyover is scheduled to take place from April 15 to 20, during which traffic will be diverted through alternative routes. Additionally, the NHAI has completed the works of Bavdhan to Satara and Ved Bhavan to Mulshi roads, and these roads will be open for motorists from April 10."

Information is not from a regular 'news' source but a news portal.

Link: https://www.punekarnews.in/pune-nhai...rs-completion/
mygodbole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 03:07   #2201
BHPian

What’s with sudden degradation of traffic in Hinjewadi ?

I mean I know it was bad but since last week it takes almost 40-45 minutes just to get through a 2-3 km stretch. Tuesday, I had to face the worst traffic jam ever! Hinjewadi phase 2 and phase 1 both were clogged. I left my office at 6:15 p.m. and reached my house, which is 14 kilometres away at 9 p.m. It was that bad. It was that bad.

Another bottleneck is Bhumkar chowk. The municipal authorities have given assurances with respect to the resolution of traffic congestion on that road, but they have somehow exacerbated the situation.

They also excavated the Dutt Mandir Road in wakad where all traffic was restricted to a single lane that is already half occupied by parked vehicles.

I think the PCMC corporation is constantly on the lookout for perfectly maintained roads in order to dig them up and make life a living hell for people.

To add to the misfortunes, it is almost visible that all civic sense and already lack of driving manners went further to the dogs. People drive so close to each other and are so busy taking up every inch of free space on the road that they don't care that there or someone else's vehicle could be damaged.. There have been 2-3 incidents where I almost got a dent on my car.

Amidst all this you can see traffic cops being mere bystanders.

I understand that metro work is currently in process and roads have been dug up for that but construction work followed by rains will cause nothing but further degradation of traffic.

The first pic that I have attached was taken at 3 pm today by me and as you can see the flyover was clogged. Couple of weeks back it would have been an empty stretch between 1-4 pm.
Second pic attached is of the traffic jam from Tuesday night. This was taken by someone near Infosys circle in Phase 2 and uploaded on a social media site.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-videocapture_20230601151932_original.jpeg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-7b8966b1869849a2aece3ea6541d64f7.jpeg  

Last edited by BleueNinja : 2nd June 2023 at 03:33.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 08:44   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Road closure in Chandni Chowk area from July 4 - 15. Timing 12:30 AM - 03:30 AM.

https://www.punekarnews.in/pune-bang...tarting-today/
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 13:53   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Chandani chowk renovation: While creating new ramps for Kothrud and Bavdhan, wider traffic islands with taller lamp posts are already proving to cause traffic bottlenecks.

1. On NDA side ramp, whenever buses and trucks have to pass traffic island, it creates traffic jam. Side railings have been created to be inline with traffic island, however traffic isn't supposed to circular here. Couple of corners poke out, further reducing traffic flow.
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-cc1.jpg

2. On Bavdhan side, traffic island is equally large making very less space towards the hill. Hillside has been widened a bit, still it's 2-lanes reduced to 1-lane near the traffic island.
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-cc2.jpg

At most places in Pune, circle of traffic islands have been steadily reduced to maintain traffic flow. Closest example can be Pashan/Garware circle.
I am at loss, how come administration has conveniently forgotten about it. They will spend enough money on creating it first and upon realising it, another round of funds to destroy and rebuild smaller circle.

3. Mulshi ramp down towards Bavdhan: Currently, this 2-lane flyover allows going straight to join highway towards Warje and a left towards Bavdhan. Newly opened section(on left of this flyover) also allows left towards Bavdhan. However, many vehicles go straight towards Warje intersecting vehicles coming down from flyover towards Bavdhan. Already a recipe for an accident. Permanent railing is immediately needed on this corner to stop traffic going straight towards Warje.
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-cc3.jpg

I will not talk about bottleneck on main highway section, let current girder laying work get completed.

Last edited by sukiwa : 7th July 2023 at 13:55.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 10:53   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Chandani chowk renovation:

3. Mulshi ramp down towards Bavdhan: Currently, this 2-lane flyover allows going straight to join highway towards Warje and a left towards Bavdhan. Newly opened section(on left of this flyover) also allows left towards Bavdhan. However, many vehicles go straight towards Warje intersecting vehicles coming down from flyover towards Bavdhan. Already a recipe for an accident. Permanent railing is immediately needed on this corner to stop traffic going straight towards Warje.
Attachment 2472837
This opening can be closed only when the NDA - Bavdhan bridge is completed. Then Mulshi - Bavdhan traffic can use the new bridge. Till then, the Kothrud exit via service road will not be functional. I see the service road closed with barricades all the time.
Old 10th July 2023, 11:56   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
This opening can be closed only when the NDA - Bavdhan bridge is completed.
That's on a different path.

Let me explain pictorially what I meant. I need a curvy triangle marked in yellow to prevent straight traffic towards Warje from left most side of bypass highway, this section next to Zinnea opened up few weeks back. Paths marked in green are welcome and correct, Path marked in red is currently allowed and it's incorrect and can be prevented by triangle marked in yellow.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-cc3.jpg

Pardon my not-to-scale drawing skills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks