Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 15:10   #2071
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
[b]PMPML to let mass transport vehicles drive in BRTS lanes
Which BRTS lanes? Those which are blocked off for Metro construction are out of the question.
Elsewhere, in Sangamwadi and Hadapsar, they are used by almost everyone except those who follow traffic rules. They look more like a tolled fast lane without any toll of course

Well, at least it will take those unruly office cabs and ST buses off the regular lanes.
Old 4th December 2018, 17:54   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
PMPML to let mass transport vehicles drive in BRTS lanes.

News Source.
That's great. Many private buses can now run through the otherwise empty BRTS lane. I hope now some great Punekars won't assume their overfilled vehicles and three-seated scooters as mass transport vehicles!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 12:15   #2073
BHPian

Indifference and ignorance mar counselling session

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66993547.cms

Statements on opposition of helmets were met with applause.

Tragi-comic. It just feels like reading the Raag Darbari.

Last edited by atnyia : 8th December 2018 at 12:17.
Old 8th December 2018, 12:37   #2074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Indifference and ignorance mar counselling session

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66993547.cms
Quote:
More than 500 people were told to attend the session after they were caught for various traffic violations in the city on Wednesday and Thursday. Their licences were impounded and they were told they would get them back after the attending the session.
Whatever was the result of this counselling session! I think its a nice initiative from Pune Traffic Police. Maybe a first of its kind. These kinds of counselling sessions are required for Seatbelts, high beam and many other related issues. Good work Pune Traffic Police.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 10:59   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
My life is my responsibility and the government should not force me to do anything that I do not want to do
The dumba** saying this should be told that from today he would have no police personnel to attend to him if he gets into an issue like theft or an attempt to murder on him because it is his responsibility and not of the cops. The people who were giving an applause when someone opposed the helmet rule seem to be retards to me and definitely need psychiatric intervention
Old 9th January 2019, 20:58   #2076
BHPian

Folks traveling to Hinjewadi, what is your view of the one way scheme implemented in Hinjewadi?

I generally reach my office at 0800h. I don't get that much traffic anyways. But from past two days, due to some health issues, I decided to go a little bit late and regretted on both days instantly.

Long queues on both days for going towards Shivaji Chowk. The time frame is between 0900h to 1000h.

Does the Sakhare vasti divider on the main road towards Shivaji Chowk needs to be closed? But people living in that area will suffer more.

One thing I have observed that police have closed all gaps in dividers with cement blocks.
Old 9th January 2019, 21:19   #2077
BHPian

My 2 cents on the hinjewadi rotary one way arrangement. I work in phase 3 and commenting with that perspective.

It overall feels better than how it used be when I used to go through Mezza9, Advinus, Phase2 route. However, I believe the main reason for this is that the Maan road became better and operational just around the same time. So instead of the crawling through phase 2, now once I cross Shivaji chowk its almost a 4 the gear drive to phase 3.

Now talking of return journey, it was bad and it still is bad. I don't see much gain here. I manage to reach Shivaji chowk quickly but beyond that is a mess owing to convergence of multiple lanes and a break in divider right after the chowk.

So, while authorities may be patting their back I don't think this arrangement has done any magic.

Only so much can be done by squeezing, bending the exiating infra. The place really needs some high end infra impetus. With announcement of metro, road works or any flyovers would anyway take a back seat now.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 21:21   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Folks traveling to Hinjewadi, what is your view of the one way scheme implemented in Hinjewadi?

Does the Sakhare vasti divider on the main road towards Shivaji Chowk needs to be closed?
One thing I have observed that police have closed all gaps in dividers with cement blocks.
I like the one-way scheme since most people have felt the difference in commute times. I am not exposed to daily traffic since I work afternoon shift.

And Sakhare Vasti is the only hitch here. The traffic that crosses over there is Tankers, Tractors and all sorts of vehicles. They should build a signal there and have a warden control it and hope people listen to him.

The other thing they can do here is widen the lane on both sides so that traffic crosses over quickly.

I am scared to think what will happen when Metro work starts.

Last edited by silverado : 9th January 2019 at 21:31.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 21:48   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
It overall feels better than how it used be when I used to go through Mezza9, Advinus, Phase2 route. However, I believe the main reason for this is that the Maan road became better and operational just around the same time. So instead of the crawling through phase 2, now once I cross Shivaji chowk its almost a 4 the gear drive to phase 3.

Now talking of return journey, it was bad and it still is bad. I don't see much gain here. I manage to reach Shivaji chowk quickly but beyond that is a mess owing to convergence of multiple lanes and a break in divider right after the chowk.
Good to know that your commute post Shivaji Chowk is breeze. I remember being on that Maan road two and a half years back just out there to explore the area on a weekend and vowed never to travel on that road. By the way, I work in phase 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

And Sakhare Vasti is the only hitch here. The traffic that crosses over there is Tankers, Tractors and all sorts of vehicles. They should build a signal there and have a warden control it and hope people listen to him.
Yes, even I have heard the stories of wardens afraid of locals.

Apart from all this, I happened to visit Sunny world on Sus Pashan road. Located on a hill, you can see the new road to Hinjewadi still not complete. I hope it opens atleast by 2019 monsoon.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20181215_154157.jpg
rst89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 10:54   #2080
BHPian

One of the other major problems I see at Shivaji chowk is the road itself. Its not laid well to help free movement of traffic. What they need to urgently do is ensure that the road is even all through and people dont have to crawl over potholes and uneven roads. That way the traffic will be even more smoother.

At Sakhre Vasti, the divider was closed when the one way plan was executed but I suppose locals did not let that continue and opened up the divider. Had they been to keep it closed, things would have been way easier.

One very important things which needs to be noticed here is that the one way plan was put into action pretty much after the rains stopped. The actual effectiveness of this one way scheme would be visible during the next monsoons and I am pretty sure, it isn't going to be making any difference at all.

Infy circle is nor the new Wipro circle. The road is a 2 lane one on both sides. In the morning its either the PMT buses which occupy a lane or car pooling people who do not have any sense to move a little ahead of the circle (where the road is wider) and park to let off fellow travelers. They will always park before the circle itself, baring a few exceptions, and cause traffic pileup. In the evening, Infy parks its buses at the circle (the white ones and I have observed this many a times) which causes a bottle neck again. There its the regular car poolers again who have no sense of parking and end up blocking all the lanes. It really gets on your nerves when educated people act like idiots

Even the new road near HDFC is another bottle neck. People wanting to take a left do so from the extreme right and end up blocking all lanes which again causes a pile up. Wonder when people would start following atleast some basic lane discipline
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 18:36   #2081
BHPian

Dear mods, not sure where to post this as I couldn't find a suitable thread. However, since my post is Pune specific, I'm posting here.

I've had a driver cum office boy who drives my car and does other assorted jobs at my office. Late last year he had sudden heart trouble and had to undergo an operation. I wasn't sure when or whether he would be back so I found another driver.

I have been happy with the new driver but now my old driver is back and since I had promised him that I will take him back whenever he is better, I have no option than to let my new driver go. I have given my new driver a month to find a new job but he's also a needy person so I decided to help him by posting this recommendation in case someone needs a good driver.

Please DM me if interested. Thank you.

Last edited by MandarMax : 12th February 2019 at 18:38.
Old 13th February 2019, 10:36   #2082
BHPian

Sharing an experience which happened with me on Monday night. We all must have read plenty of such experiences but I never thought I would face a similar one, though it is reading through those experiences which kept me alert and I could avoid a possibly nasty scenario.

Monday night I was driving back from my In-Laws place to my house. My daughter was in front and my wife was asleep in the back seat as it was around 11 PM. I was on the road from Shivaji Nagar to University and was at the signal near Pune Central. As the signal turned green I started to drive towards University. I had just crossed the junction and was now bang opposite the Central gate when two guys on a bike, riding parallel to me, started to knock on the front passenger window where my daughter was seated, and were continuously saying something. I ignored it initially (we all know how it works, thanks to the incidents shared by others) but since they were persistent, I just cracked the window a little to hear what they were saying.

As expected, the fools started saying that my front passenger side tires has very less air in it. Little did those thugs know that its easy to understand when any one of the tires in a car has less air in them, especially so if its one of the front tires. I told them that I had purposely deflated it as I liked driving that way and showed them a thumbs up. I asked them if they can accompany me till the police station near SB road to that I could find some help. Their faces fell pale and they immediately reduced their speed, only to disappear in the traffic behind.

My wife was asleep and so I couldn't ask her to click a pic of the guys or their number plate unfortunately, else I would have surely reported them to the cops. I am just wondering at their audacity to be trying to pull this off, bang in the middle of a road with heavy traffic. Thankfully I could avert any adverse situation owing to the cases I have read on TBHP and else where.

Sharing this so that you all too can be careful while driving late at night.

Last edited by centaur : 13th February 2019 at 10:42.
centaur is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 14:56   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I told them that I had purposely deflated it as I liked driving that way and showed them a thumbs up. I asked them if they can accompany me till the police station near SB road to that I could find some help. Their faces fell pale and they immediately reduced their speed, only to disappear in the traffic behind.

Sharing this so that you all too can be careful while driving late at night.
Thanks for sharing, they do this in broad daylight too. Invariably there will be a puncture shop within 200 to 400 meters, in your case the one opposite E-square multiplex was waiting to disturb your tyre sidewalls! They're sent from those puncture shops to try their luck. Recently saw them covering their faces, I also told them, "Let's go to the Police station to find out how much air is present?" He fled...

Anyways, I searched this thread to report another issue I faced at Khed-Shivapur Toll Plaza on NH-48 (Mumbai-Bangalore) outside Pune.

Sunday morning 10 am going from Pune to Shivapur, traffic as usual at the toll booths, enough unemployed youth to guide each vehicle to a toll lane.

Paid for return toll pass which costs Rs. 140. tendered 500 got back 360 and the receipt. As a previous bad experience, I always check the date & time of the slip. One of the note was soiled with cello-tape, divided attention and didn't verify the amount!

On return journey while waiting in queue just glanced through the receipt to find out out it was a single journey ticket of Rs. 95. I got the trick I was looped into. I saw a booth operator entry in the ticket and to my luck I had not spend the returned amount of Rs. 360. I told my wife, I'll take this up at the toll booth, please bear with me, I'll keep the AC ON.

On putting forward my point at the return booth, my case was reported to higher authority and was asked to pull over near the Toll Booth Control Room. I was a bit skeptical as where I'm being taken to, as all members appeared like bouncers! They had an access controlled surveillance room with big screens and 2 cameras on each toll booth. From the toll ticket the booth and operator and number was easily identified. Timestamp was good too. I was asked to identify our car which I did. They saw both inside footage with the operator tendering 200+100+50+10 as return amount and external footage of me giving/taking the amount. The operator and the helper outside did some flip with the receipts and gave me a single journey ticket. There are some pre-printed tickets under a wooden ruler. I didn't get that part but was sure the contractor got it. They played it again to confirm and agreed to the issue and thanked me to report this.

I demanded for the ticket as it's valid for 24 hours though I had no plans to return to this highway. They said they'll get it from the toll booth which was down the road. By this time 10 minutes had passed and my wife had already imagined me coming out with torn clothes, bruised and beaten! Received her call and had to let go the receipt for this time. In the meanwhile the toll operator was identified and kept on surveillance. They were already talking about what action to be taken on him at the end of his reporting.

Lessons learned:
- check every detail in a toll ticket
- let the car behind you honk till you're done
- report the issue if any
- don't buy tickets from vendors with hand-held machines as they are not under surveillance

Happy tripping!

--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 18:53   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Jungli Maharaj Rd at 18:45 today.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20190624_184500653.jpg

Let the insanity begin!
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:06   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Jungli Maharaj Rd at 18:45 today.

Attachment 1887485

Let the insanity begin!
Similar situation, but on internal roads in Viman Nagar at 4:00 pm. There is probably some direct relation between rains and the civic sense (whatever's left of it).

Traffic was smooth for the last 4-5 months on Nagar road, and I was pleased to see no jam at the infamous Inorbit signal, but from the day the first showers hit pune (few weeks back) its back to insanity.

My car will remain in the parking and not see office hours at least for the next 3 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks