a menace for us as motorists, and should be banned. 213 83.53%
unfortunate people who deserve our compassion and support. 32 12.55%
an issue that does not concern me. 10 3.92%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 02:28   #106
BHPian

Re: Beggars at Traffic Lights: Your Views on the Issue

They surely are a menace. I am reminded of an incident recently. I was about to get into my car after having a haircut at Naturals and this eunuch asked for alms. I did not budge and quickly got into the car. She hit the windshield and abused me as well. Though I did not hear what was said as I had the windows rolled up. That explains what I would have voted for.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:25   #107
BHPian

Beggars are definitely a menace. In fact in Noida one can see the same person selling car mobile chargers and those cheap stic-on type nets for car windows in the summers and magazines, idols and santa hats (near christmas) in the winters. These days the solar powered moving plants are a craze on each intersection.
Unfortunately whenever i have given alms to any beggar i have met with an accident (both major and minor) later on. Hence its a strict no-no for me .
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:34   #108
BHPian

This is certainly a relevant topic specially in recent times wherein it seems to have reached almost professional accuracy.

Personally, I do not give alms to beggars - no, none at all.

My logic: If you can beg on a traffic junction putting your (and other's) life and limb at risk, you can surely work.

This logic does not cover the aged people. But frankly, in Pune, I see mostly young,adoloscent and women on the street. The types, who never miss out on abusing people specially lady drivers/riders when they are not obliged.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:43   #109
Senior - BHPian

There is a place outside a temple in Pune, where beggars are brought to in a van. Ever since I witnessed it, I have stopped giving anything there. Or anywhere, for that matter.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:02   #110
BHPian

I give money only to the old - with no social security in our country these people have no where to go. They deserve some dignity during the last leg of their life.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:10   #111
BHPian

I voted for Option A.
As a rule I do not hand out alms at signals untless I see what I feel is a genuine case (No doubt, I could be wrong sometimes! In fact most times!)
With regard to hawkers , I just ignore them until they go away. To those of you who are more the 'kind at heart' types, if you buy earbuds from these people-Be warned! These earbuds are usually made from the cleaner portions of cotton waste which escape the incinerator at some hospitals! So buy at your own risk ... if you want to help them but burn them at home if you want to help yourself!.
No mattter what we do, I think the problem is here to stay. But when you read about the sheer impertinence of a girl emptying the muck on the windshield just because the occupant of the car refused to buy some cleaning cloth from her or the keys of a biker getting snatched and being returned only when he parts with some money, its time we did something about the situation. That kind of behaviour can happen only with the tacit support of the cops who are on the take!
How do we go about(at least trying to ) putting an end to this menace?
1. We must get as many Team-BHP members to take an oath to stop encouraging these beggars and hawkers by not giving them alms/buying any thing from them.

2. Those of us who belong to social service minded clubs such as the LIONS , ROTARY, ROUND TABLE, clubs etc. we should take it up with our respective clubs to spread the word around to all their members not to encourage the giving of alms at signal lights. Also, they can run a multi media campaign to make the public more aware of this nuisance and stop encouraging thsese beggars by giving them alms.

3. Such clubs could also use their contacts with the senior traffic police officials by getting them to pass orders to clear the signal junctions of all these beggars. As voiced freequently on this thread, If there's no money in it then there will be no takers.
regards,
Ashok
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the type of "beggars", it seems like the types are same across India. How did it occur so uniformly across the country in not so long a period of time? I am dead sure that its not that old an phenomenon in Bengaluru.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I give money only to the old - with no social security in our country these people have no where to go. They deserve some dignity during the last leg of their life.
I agree. This is the only exception I make too and only for the genuinely old people, not the people wearing a whole lot of makeup at traffic signals.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:59   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Looking at the type of "beggars", it seems like the types are same across India. How did it occur so uniformly across the country in not so long a period of time?
Corporatization of the profession of begging? That is a big eye-opener.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:36   #115
BHPian

Voted for option 1.

Earlier, used to take pity and giver them money. But, a few instances have changed my perception.

1. Some Temple, Bangalore, 1997: I was a kid on a trip to B'lore. Was sitting in the car waiting for cousins. A man comes walks up to each beggar in a line and takes his "cut". Maybe, he was exploiting the genuine beggars. But at that age, it was startling for me to see such a thing.

2. Some Traffic Signal, New Delhi, 2006: I was in my car waiting for the signal to turn green. A small kid comes up to the window and asks for alms. On paying no attention to him, he takes a stone from his pocket and scratches the car from the front left door all the way to the back.

3. Outside Bikanerwala, Gurgaon, 2008: Was there with colleagues. A teenaged kid (about 18 years) comes over and asks for alms. My boss asks her if she will work as a maid and she'll even send her to school. The kid outrightly refuses.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:58   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay.Krishnan View Post
2. Some Traffic Signal, New Delhi, 2006: I was in my car waiting for the signal to turn green. A small kid comes up to the window and asks for alms. On paying no attention to him, he takes a stone from his pocket and scratches the car from the front left door all the way to the back.
What the.... AArrgghh, if i were you all my humane feelings would leave me.
Did you do the same to that boy.?
For this thing am Devil incarnated.
Old 26th March 2011, 18:15   #117
BHPian

Cause...
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
given them five rupees (or any spare coins, i keep in the ashtray).
...and effect!
Quote:
But the ground reality is that its a morbid reality that is growing and growing rather fast.
Quote:
However, the persons i have an issue with are the hawkers at the signals. The reasons why these people (in most cases its children selling cotton earbuds, orange cotton washcloths, hairpins etc..) are dangerous is that when people purchase, a lot of money/ bargaining happens and this tends to lock the traffic, especially when the light turns green and the child is fumbling for change for a 100 rupee note given by a driver.
Wouldn't you rather have the children earn a living than resort to begging?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 26th March 2011 at 18:18.
Old 27th March 2011, 18:08   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Cause...

...and effect!

Wouldn't you rather have the children earn a living than resort to begging?
so we are comparing begging Vs child labor now?
Old 28th March 2011, 09:42   #119
BHPian

At least in Bangalore from what I have seen it is a racket to make money. Most people look alike with the kind of pseudo make up they put to look really depressed and have eternal tears. They will also trouble an unfortunate baby that has been possibly rented out. (There were reports in the paper from an investigative operation - no action seems to have been taken though)

I feel very sorry for the kids that have to suffer. Probably the kids are put to sleep one way or the other so that they do not become restless and these goons can go about their business making money.

The second kind of people I have encountered are families with bags asking of you know how to speak hindi. If you say yes they will tell they lost all their money and need money. Seen this pattern for 10 years now !!!
Old 28th March 2011, 10:37   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
I feel very sorry for the kids that have to suffer. Probably the kids are put to sleep one way or the other so that they do not become restless and these goons can go about their business making money.
There were times (I was very young at that time) when police raided homes where this beggar gang used to ampute arms and legs of kidnapped children to sustain/grow their racket. That lead to a very disturbed mind for such a tender age in those times. It also aired in an old Doordarshan TV series called 'Khel Khel Mein' about 3-4 friends. I could not digest the fact that such inhuman activities could take place just for money. I hope this brutality is no longer in practice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks