Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 22:19   #976
BHPian

Re: The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!

I guess he would have rubbed someone the wrong way which might have triggered such a malicious campaign
Old 6th April 2011, 22:20   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
One of my srilankan friend has said that Matthew has told him something which Indian public will not accept. He is not giving much details but he said all these resignation in SL cricket is outcome of that.
Is that a new (old) conspiracy theory about Match-Fixing or ant threat etc etc.
One line for SriLankans "Grapes are Sour". And they'll try to justify their defeat by silly reasons. If they are telling any theories, then was their celebration after dismissal of Sachin a fake reaction ??
Old 6th April 2011, 22:34   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Is that a new (old) conspiracy theory about Match-Fixing or ant threat etc etc
The last thing we want to hear after a tremendous world cup is MATCH FIXING
Old 7th April 2011, 00:26   #979
Senior - BHPian

This is the ICING on the cake, Aussies in Indian colours ( i am slightly colour blind, but it looks the same, some of the pattern on their clothes too) for the bangladesh tour. Today's pictures from cricinfo.

The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!-131185.jpg
Old 7th April 2011, 01:12   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Joke time:

Sreesanth mother to media -> Had my son bowled another over, Dhoni would've hit a century!
She has got it right, India would have had to score another 36 runs and Dhoni surely would have got a 100. Spitfire, i don't think you follow cricket very well. Phew !!! Cho Chimble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
on a serious note ..since Gary has left it will be very difficult to find a alternative that can fit his shoes. IMO Steve waugh will be perfect!!
No Aussie would fit in here at the moment. I would like to see Duncan Fletcher (Who is that), but he is a mighty good coach made specially for this situation. Hope he forwards his resume.
Old 7th April 2011, 01:30   #981
Senior - BHPian

the "VVIP" in srilanka must have had a lot of money riding on the game.
Old 7th April 2011, 02:29   #982
Senior - BHPian

Some Numerology

His jersey no is 10.
Age is 37 = 3+7 = 10.
Height is 5 ft 5 in = 5+5 = 10.
WC winning date 2/4/2011 = 2+4+2+0+1+1 = 10.
WC after 28 yrs = 2+8 = 10.
Strike rate in WC 91 = 9+1 = 10.
Lifted 10th World Cup.
Yup, He is the SUPERMAN of INDIA and his name is Sachin 'TEN'dulkar.
Old 7th April 2011, 08:43   #983
BHPian

How come this thread goes without pictures of the actual players celebrating?

Here are a few from my side.

Courtesy: EspnCricinfo

The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!-131000.jpg

The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!-131005.jpg

The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!-131013.jpg

The Cricket World Cup 2011 thread. EDIT: India World Champions !!-131069.jpg
Old 7th April 2011, 10:00   #984
Senior - BHPian

^^Seriously the last 2 pictures are priceless. All the players and associates will be remembered for a long long time to come just like the guys who got us the trophy in '83. What a feeling it must be to be a part of a WC winning side.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 7th April 2011 at 10:02.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:10   #985
Senior - BHPian

'Shane Warne denies India coach talk'. Now what are the options ?

Quote:
Australian spin legend Shane Warne on Wednesday denied media reports that he was interested in coaching World Cup champions India.
"Just got told on bus - apparently I put my hand up to coach India. Wow - first I have heard of it - Sorry to disappoint but never said that!!!" Warne tweeted.

Leg-spinner Warne, 41, is in the country to take part in the Indian Premier League where he leads the Rajasthan Royals franchise in the lucrative Twenty20 competition, starting on Friday.

Local media reports earlier on Wednesday said Warne had shown interest in the job.

"It is a very difficult job to be India coach, it is never easy," Warne was quoted as saying in the Mail Today newspaper.

"But with India doing so well, it is a lot easier to take over right now than it has been in the past. I'll enjoy working with the Indian cricket team for sure."

India are without a coach after former South African batsman Gary Kirsten stepped down following the World Cup victory in Mumbai last week.
Warne said Kirsten had set high standards during a successful three-year stint with Mahendra Singh Dhoni's team.

"Kirsten is a quality person and it would be hard to find a replacement for him. Under him, the Indian team has reached the number one spot in Tests and won the World Cup," said Warne. "He is a fantastic coach."
Warne, who quit international cricket in 2007 with 708 wickets in Tests and 293 in one-dayers, excelled in a dual role as captain and coach guiding the Rajasthan Royals to a surprise title in the inaugural IPL edition in 2008.
Shane Warne denies India coach talk - The Times of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
the last 2 pictures are priceless.
I'll read that as 'all the pictures'.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 7th April 2011 at 10:12.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:05   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I'll read that as 'all the pictures'.
+1 to that.

Why are we inclined towards having a non Indian as a coach. There are so many great players in our country, most of them doing some stupid commentary. Why not ask them work their a** out in the field and show their greatness. I totally agree that Gary Kirsten has done a wonderful job but do we have to depend on people other than sons of our soil.
Old 7th April 2011, 14:27   #987
BHPian

What is good to see in that picture of the team is that Sharad Pawar is still in the area and not shoved off
Old 8th April 2011, 13:58   #988
Senior - BHPian

Shahid Afridi starts crying once again "Don't treat us as "untouchables", Afridi's appeal to BCCI"

Don't treat us as "untouchables", Afridi's appeal to BCCI - The Times of India

And still we are taught that only chameleons can change colours.

Quote:
Shahid Afridi feels deeply hurt and has appealed to the Indian cricket board that Pakistan players shouldn't be treated as "untouchables" when it comes to including them in the cash-rich Indian Premier League.

"It is high time that Pakistani cricketers should also get a place in IPL. For three seasons including the current one, we haven't been a part of the IPL. We have no problems playing in India as we have just played a World Cup semifinal there. We are deeply hurt that they are treating us like 'untouchables'," Afridi said from Karachi.

He further added that Pakistani public feel hurt that their players are not playing in IPL. "I am not saying that I want to play IPL but it could be a great platform for youngsters. They could make a mark for themselves."

As many as 11 Pakistan players were part of inaugural season of IPL in 2008. Afridi was the costliest Pakistani player who was bagged by the Hyderabad team for $675,000. Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Mohammad Hafeez and Salman Butt (Kolkata Knight Riders), Younis Khan, Sohail Tanveer and Kamran Akmal (Rajasthan Royals), Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Asif ( Delhi Daredavils) and Misbah Ul Haq (Royal Challangers Banglore) were the other players . Pakistani players missed out on the 2009 and 2010 editions due to security concerns in the wake of Mumbai terror attacks.

Afridi has said that Indian PM Manmohan Singh's invitation to Pakistani PM for the semifinals was a positive sign and that is the way to go forward. "Our PM Yusuf Raza Gilani responded in positive on that invitation. Now IPL can be a platform to further ease the tension," he said. "We should play more and more against each other. This will not only ease the pressure but will also reduce the unwanted media hype surrounded with Indo-Pak matches," he said.

For Afridi, Indo- Pak matches are not war as players of both teams share great rapport off the field. "On field, yes there are moments of pressure and tension whenever we play but off it, we are all friends. I share great bond with Harbhajan and respect Sachin a lot," said Afridi.

On his criticism of Gautam Gambhir's statement about dedicating the WC win to the people who died in Mumbai terror attack, Afridi said that he did not say anything about Gambhir. "I never heard Gautam saying anything like that, so how could I react over that. It is ridiculous," he said.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:39   #989
Senior - BHPian

I feel pity for some Pakistani cricketers. Being talented and not being able to play, no wonder they cant stop talking.
(Sorry for not being small hearted)
Old 8th April 2011, 16:54   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming back to Sangakkara's resignation, I personally think it's a good thing. He is 33. At 37(2015), he may not be the awesome player he is now to lead the team.

It is definitely better they groom someone else for the job and the new captain can build his team around him in preparation for the next world cup. Dhoni has mentioned how India had the WC 2011 in it's plans from 2008 itself. Such long term planning helps.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks