Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2023, 01:10   #6991
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
HDFC is going to launch the Swiggy branded Credit Card soon, which have already rolled out to some pilot users I believe. Will give competition to its own Millenia and a boon to users like me who spend over 10K per month eating out, mostly on Swiggy.
So I am one of the early adopters of HDFC Swiggy co-branded card. Application happened through Swiggy app (If applied through HDFC website they were giving 1500 Swiggy coupon) and verification happened over video call.

After receiving the card about a week later was shocked to find the credit limit is only 45K which is a fraction of my monthly salary. After calling their helpline they wanted me to upgrade to a better card or open a bank account with HDFC. Post that they made send attested payslip + id proof to their Chennai office 2 times only to get denied again. So I need to strictly use this for Swiggy and other small transactions with the given limit.

Then came the first bill and distribution of reward points. I noticed around 20% of the Swiggy transactions are coming under BUNDL Corp (Parent company of Swiggy) and was categorized as 1% cashback instead of 10%. I made a complaint & they are keeping me waiting for over 2 weeks now and keep extending the resolution date as deadline approaches. Granted its not much reward points, but they should fix these IT issues before launching a new card.
Samfromindia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 09:51   #6992
BHPian

Quote:
After receiving the card about a week later was shocked to find the credit limit is only 45K which is a fraction of my monthly salary. After calling their helpline they wanted me to upgrade to a better card or open a bank account with HDFC. Post that they made send attested payslip + id proof to their Chennai office 2 times only to get denied again. So I need to strictly use this for Swiggy and other small transactions with the given limit.
There was a Ken article on the card

Quote:
Banks usually bear most of the reward spending, and hope that users won’t claim most of the reward points they issue. They also add many hoops customers have to jump to claim rewards. It’s how they keep their costs low.

But in this case, because the cashback is given as Swiggy Money (credited to the user’s wallet on the platform), users are likely to use it more, and the bank will have to foot the bill, according to the executive.

The move is partly FOMO-driven on the part of HDFC Bank, he adds.
Quote:
“In an excel file, these partnerships look great. That banks will cross-sell personal loans and other loans to make money. But in reality, it’s hard,” says the credit-card executive. “Only 30% of co-brand cards succeed.”

Co-branded cards also take at least three to four years to break even, they add.

And in three to four years, food delivery and Swiggy as we know it may be very different.

So, I’d say just make the most of this card for now
https://the-ken.com/kaching/swiggy-s...stopped-doing/
rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 13:12   #6993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Any idea on when Citi cards/accounts will be converted to Axis? I hold couple of Citi cards (Rewards and Premier Miles), these go back to 2003, so haven’t closed them.
Axis Atlas is in my radar but don’t want to apply because logically Premier Miles should get converted to Atlas.
Even I have a Citi Rewards credit card since almost 10 years now. From what I gather, even after the takeover, Axis is retaining the Citi brand for Credit cards atleast.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:58   #6994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
In HDFC net banking under cards while viewing billed payments there is usually a option to convert into EMI.

Also while billing on credit card machines before putting pin there is a option bill fully or convert into emi. Usually store people are not aware of this or forget to tell.
There is an option, but it's merely showing some very less amount where as due on or before a date shows the major amount.

I should have checked and there must have been an option at the swipe POS.

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:00   #6995
Senior - BHPian

Which credit card is good for use during international travel for big ticket purchases or emergencies?

I have HDFC Regalia and Standard chartered Digismart.

Travelling to Kyrgyzthan via Sharjah
Old 2nd September 2023, 22:51   #6996
BHPian

I am thinking of getting a credit card for UPI transactions via GPay. I have an iPhone. Do RuPay cards work with GPay on iPhone? Any suggestions on which credit card will be better? Ideally looking for a LTF credit card.
Old 3rd September 2023, 07:24   #6997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
I am thinking of getting a credit card for UPI transactions via GPay. I have an iPhone. Do RuPay cards work with GPay on iPhone? Any suggestions on which credit card will be better? Ideally looking for a LTF credit card.
Very much works with an iPhone. I have a couple of HDFCB RuPay cards, one physical and the other virtual, and both work seamlessly through GPay.
Old 4th September 2023, 12:53   #6998
BHPian

Quote:
After receiving the card about a week later was shocked to find the credit limit is only 45K. Then came the first bill and distribution of reward points. I noticed around 20% of the Swiggy transactions are coming under BUNDL Corp (Parent company of Swiggy) and was categorized as 1% cashback instead of 10%.
Credit limit is shared with another card I have with HDFC, so no concerns there. I have used Instamart & food etc, and have realised 10% back, although the distribution against transactions does not show like Axis did/does with the ACE card. Overall I am happy to see 10% at Swiggy and 5% for the rest(most).
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 11:25   #6999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
Try getting HDFC Tata Neu Infinity Rupay variant. 1.5% on all spends above INR 34/- (the 1.5% comes in the form of Neu coins whose value is 1:1).
Ideally, it should be LTF if you have a relationship with HDFC.
Do check Tata Neu App. Do check if some of your friends or family members can share their referral for this card. If no one is available, I can share mine.
Old 5th September 2023, 11:40   #7000
BHPian

Is it beneficial to take a DCB Life Time free card to switch from SBI Elite? I am observing that DCB seems to have much better rewards. Is Diners Club acceptance at merchant outlets as good as Visa or Mastercard?
Old 5th September 2023, 11:52   #7001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Is it beneficial to take a DCB Life Time free card to switch from SBI Elite? I am observing that DCB seems to have much better rewards. Is Diners Club acceptance at merchant outlets as good as Visa or Mastercard?
I've recently taken the Diners Club Black credit card and I've found acceptance at even relatively smaller offline vendors to be very good. I've been holding the card for around 3 months, so still early days, but the transaction has never been declined anywhere, at least in Pune. And this is at places where Amex will never be accepted.

I guess the fact that a behemoth like HDFC Bank distributes this card has helped in that regard.
Iconoclast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 13:13   #7002
Senior - BHPian

So I have a lot of credit card usage - more than 25 L per year and been dabbling with a few cards but need some expert comments

I have a Kotak Royale - useless I use it very less
I have HDFC Infinia - I use it massively

Also have AXIS Magnus and I hear the points are no longer appealing.

I have just applied for AMEX Platinum.

Please advise your expert opinions if I am missing something or should be looking at other than or in addition to AMEX
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 14:09   #7003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So I have a lot of credit card usage - more than 25 L per year and been dabbling with a few cards but need some expert comments
Please advise your expert opinions if I am missing something or should be looking at other than or in addition to AMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Hi,
I wish to seek advice from fellow members to expand my card portfolio.
1. StanC Ultimate-
2. Axis Vistara Infinite-
3. HDFC INFINIA Metal-

Plans:
I considered Magnus, but last month's news made me drop the plan.
The only other option I see is the AMEX Platinum Reserve.
If there's any other better option, please share.
I asked something similar sometime back, still awaiting some response from AMEX users of Platinum on how much capitalisation of rewards is possible. We seemed to have missed Magnus reward wagon now that bonus points are no more.
Old 5th September 2023, 14:17   #7004
BHPian

There was a recent article on the-ken indicating that credit card companies are tightening the benefits, since some consumers are gaming the system.
The article cites that Axis Magnum got devalued after the bank detected that many users were gaming the system (and how!).

It cites a case where a guy set up his own POS and was earning commissions by swiping cards for dummy transactions. Not sure how these were missed by the IT dept though. The guy claims to be earning upto 1 lakh a month as commissions!

Expect further devaluations/scrutiny on transactions due to these.

Article behind a paywall: https://the-ken.com/story/credit-car...heir-own-game/
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 14:47   #7005
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to clarify one thing -
I am not advising or suggesting people to not go for 5-6 or more credit cards.
My point was that if you have a super premium card like Infinia with class-leading reward rates and easy redemption options, getting many more cards might not be useful.

Sure, there are cards which might offer better rewards in some specific conditions but in my opinion, not worth it for most users. Also, to maximize reward points from several different cards require skill, time and effort. Whether one is willing to spend that effort in this credit card and reward points games is completely personal. For me, it's not worth it as I feel I can spend my time in something more productive, but as I said, your opinion can be completely different.

Few things you have to keep in mind while juggling several cards -
  • Monthly payment on time for each card
  • Renewal dates and free renewal criteria for each card, you need to track your usage for each card to see if you are hitting the free renewal criteria. Also, at the same time, you need to think of the reward rate/ROI etc. Not very difficult, but definitely takes some time and effort
  • Redemption options varies widely across cards and the reward points:actual cash/rewards conversion also varies across different categories and keeps changing from time to time.
  • Most cards offering high reward rates go through devaluation like the Axis cards for example. Once that happens, you are back to the drawing board on whether to retain or get a new one.

There are few more points I can make, but I hope I have conveyed my point.
End of my rant on this topic for me.

Last edited by adimicra : 5th September 2023 at 14:49.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks