Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 10:09   #2161
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

I made a silly mistake when i made an online payment to Vodaphone from my ICICI credit card. Instead of 350.61, i have paid 35061. I have raised a ticket to Vodafone to reverse the payment. Will that be enough or should i ask ICICI bank also to check if this payment can be reversed?
Old 26th July 2016, 10:29   #2162
BHPian

The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have called up ICICI Bank customer care, informed them about the double billing and raised a dispute. Is there any further action required from my side ?But I received an SMS from the bank today, which mentions my service request number and asks me to send the docs at their email id.
You will get the money back and you need to scan your copy of the transaction receipt and the merchant bill. Usually they do not even need this as the merchant will only have one customer signed copy of the transaction. When an investigation happens they request the merchant to provide proof of purchase of the customer signed copy as well. When he doesn't produce it, the payment will be reversed to you. Had happened to be about 15 years ago with Citibank. They charged me 100 towards investigation charges and then reversed that as well when I was proved correct.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:33   #2163
BHPian

Re: Double Billing on Credit Card

Quote:
I used my ICICI Bank Credit Card for a purchase at Shoppers' Stop this weekend.

The cashier swiped my card in one machine and perhaps the transaction didn't go through, then he tried again in a different machine. This time the transaction went through and transaction receipt was generated, which I signed (This is an old credit card which does not have PIN verification).

I received 2 SMS's on my mobile for this transaction. I realised this a bit later. After a day, I logged in to my internet banking account and checked for double billing, and it was indeed the case.

I have called up ICICI Bank customer care, informed them about the double billing and raised a dispute. Is there any further action required from my side ?

The customer care executive told that they will refund the amount and investigate the error, there is no further action required from my side.

But I received an SMS from the bank today, which mentions my service request number and asks me to send the docs at their email id. Which docs am I supposed to send them ? Scanned copies of merchant bill and transaction receipt ? Do I need to fill any dispute form and send to them ?

Rohan
Before settlement you can always request the merchant to cancel the transaction then n there itself. After settlement you need to raise a complaint and send the docs.
Old 26th July 2016, 11:33   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I received 2 SMS's on my mobile for this transaction. I realised this a bit later. After a day, I logged in to my internet banking account and checked for double billing, and it was indeed the case.
All (reputed) merchants will do periodic reconciliations. Some - like Amazon - do near-instantaneous reconciliations, but your typical B&M store does it probably daily or weekly. In this process, they will match the invoices generated in their billing system against the receipts they have had from card transactions. Transactions that don't match up are often automatically dealt with, and sometimes with manual intervention. In this case - where a transaction is present in the card transactions statement but not in the billing system - the reconciliation process should automatically cancel or reverse the transaction. Sometimes this takes a few days, but rarely more than a week.

You don't even have to speak with your card issuer. If at all you do, it need to be only after giving a reasonable period for the merchant to correct the mistake.
Old 27th July 2016, 09:52   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have called up ICICI Bank customer care, informed them about the double billing and raised a dispute. Is there any further action required from my side ?
Update : I have received the temporary credit for the duplicate transaction within 24 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You will get the money back and you need to scan your copy of the transaction receipt and the merchant bill.
Thanks for the tip. I will scan and keep the bill & receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Before settlement you can always request the merchant to cancel the transaction then n there itself. After settlement you need to raise a complaint and send the docs.
My bad, I noticed the 2 SMSs only after I left the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
All (reputed) merchants will do periodic reconciliations.
Thanks for the info. It is very reassuring to know this.

Rohan
Old 27th July 2016, 20:41   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
All (reputed) merchants will do periodic reconciliations.

You don't even have to speak with your card issuer. If at all you do, it need to be only after giving a reasonable period for the merchant to correct the mistake.
This is what I expected when my HDFC card was swiped twice (but only receipt given) at the Nagarjuna restaurant in Jayanagar last month. But the card statement showed two transactions with identical amounts.

I contacted support@hdfcbank.com first who later redirected me to customerservices.cards@hdfcbank.com.

The disputes team investigated this and it was resolved in my favour.
Old 27th July 2016, 22:17   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
This is what I expected when my HDFC card was swiped twice (but only receipt given) at the Nagarjuna restaurant in Jayanagar last month. But the card statement showed two transactions with identical amounts.
My wife had faced the same situation at Barbeque Nation, Indira Nagar.

First, I did say "reputed merchant". :-)

Second, the average restaurant is unlikely to have the backend systems and processes to run the kind of automated reconciliation I mentioned in my previous post. Most restaurants - including exchange-listed chains - I see still run on standalone POS software produced by small IT shops.

Third, restaurant reconciliation is hard - mostly because the invoiced amount (seen in the bill) often wouldn't match the charged amount anyway, because people have the tendency to add a tip to the final bill (even if the invoice includes service charge). So restaurants skip the reconciliation part and simply deal with problem cases (such as you and I) individually when they arise.
Old 17th August 2016, 17:03   #2168
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I had applied for a Card from ICICI. There was no status on the application so far. Today I got a message from Bluedart stating that a package from ICICI is on the way.

When I called up ICICI bank with the application number they said it has been declined.

What would they send in the shipment ? Do they send back all the documents ?
Old 17th August 2016, 18:00   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Today I got a message from Bluedart stating that a package from ICICI is on the way.
Think it must be the approved card. They don't send any documents back.
Old 20th August 2016, 14:42   #2170
BHPian

Today I received an SMS from Standard Chartered credit card regarding a transaction done by a merchant Udemy.com. Though I created an account with them, not remember sharing my credit card details with them.

I have wrote mails to both the bank and merchant. As today is saturday, I need to wait till monday/tuesday to get any reply from them. What are all the possible options to resolve this issue?
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:38   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Today I received an SMS from Standard Chartered credit card regarding a transaction done by a merchant Udemy.com. Though I created an account with them, not remember sharing my credit card details with them.

I have wrote mails to both the bank and merchant. As today is saturday, I need to wait till monday/tuesday to get any reply from them. What are all the possible options to resolve this issue?
Not sure why you were charged without your knowledge. But FWIW, Udemy has a 30 day money back policy.Check your profile to see which course you have been subscribed to
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:44   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Not sure why you were charged without your knowledge. But FWIW, Udemy has a 30 day money back policy.Check your profile to see which course you have been subscribed to
Looks like my card details have been compromised. There are few other transactions happened the one happened at Udemy. I can't see any purchase history on my Udemy account.

I contacted bank, they said the transactions are approved but not debited to the card. Once it is debited then only I can raise the dispute against these transactions. So I am waiting for the transaction details.
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:34   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Looks like my card details have been compromised.
I think you should first cancel this card number and get a fresh one, if not done already. There is usually a nominal fee of 100+ rupees.
Old 24th August 2016, 16:40   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I think you should first cancel this card number and get a fresh one, if not done already. There is usually a nominal fee of 100+ rupees.
I have already blocked the card and got a replacement. Now I need to get the issue resolved.
Old 5th September 2016, 15:48   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

How is Axis bank for credit cards?

I am looking for a credit card that gives the fuel surcharge waiver across all bunks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks