Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 265 62.35%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.24%
Apple iPad 9 2.12%
Android Tablet 13 3.06%
B&B Nook 5 1.18%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.47%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.18%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:31   #1306
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (Fiction)

Completed 'Cobra' by Frederick Forsyth.
Having grown up reading several books from the author, this was a major disappointment. You do get an inside view on the cocaine industry. It has come a long way since Narcos(Netflix).

Though the first half maintains Forsyth's signature style, later part takes a nose dive. The ending too is as bizarre.
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 10:25   #1307
BHPian

Lee Child’s first book in the Jack Reacher series “Killing Floor” is now an 8 episode series on Prime
Series name - Reacher

Fans of action dramas & the book series - do watch it.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:10   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
Completed 'Cobra' by Frederick Forsyth.
Having grown up reading several books from the author, this was a major disappointment. You do get an inside view on the cocaine industry. It has come a long way since Narcos(Netflix).

Though the first half maintains Forsyth's signature style, later part takes a nose dive. The ending too is as bizarre.
Thanks for this. I needed something to get back to reading after almost 5 years of not making time for it.
If you've enjoyed Narcos, and like a fast paced read, this is perfect. I am moving onto Follett's Pillars next. Did not anticipate the tome I would receive when I ordered it.
Old 16th March 2022, 08:30   #1309
BHPian

I'm not sure whether my answer comes under the Other option. (Mods, please edit as appropriate.)
I got a Kindle about 7-8 years ago and switched almost entirely to reading on the Kindle. However, more recently, I subscribed to a free trial of Audible. I am actually finding the audio format a better way to read/consume books. I walk for about an hour every day, so book reading happens without any special effort on my part. On the other hand, even my Kindle reading has fallen by the wayside as it's quite difficult to dedicate time only to reading. Does anyone use Audible as a way to read/consume books?
prasi55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 09:56   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi55 View Post
I'm not sure whether my answer comes under the Other option. (Mods, please edit as appropriate.)
Does anyone use Audible as a way to read/consume books?
I did try audible a few months back. While it did help multitask, i have the habit of re reading certain portions of the book as there are information between the lines. I also somehow feel that some of the readers do not have the right inflections in their words and therefore things get lost in translation

My fav author to date has been P.G.Wodehouse. For e.g. i started listening to the first book Carry On Jeeves. Somehow for me the character of Bertie was one who is fast to talk, hops around a lot and is extremely movement oriented was completely lost. However even a person like Stephen Fry could not capture the spirit of Bertie, while he did embody Jeeves to the spirit. Also, there are various characters and one has created a vision of each of them + their supposed voices in one's head. And Stephen Fry emulating Glossop or Florence doesnt pass muster.

In any case, i still prefer reading my own books and although i have a kindle and over 4000+ titles, i prefer my physical books with the crackle of paper and their wonderous smell
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 16:07   #1311
BHPian

Just finished Fredrik Backman's 'Anxious people' (audiobook). Marvelous book: was a fan of Mr Backman's work ever since I read 'A man called Ove', but this is in a different scale altogether. Comedy, compassion and somewhat of a thriller- there's something for everyone, and more! Not spoiling the amazing ending- but it involves eight people being taken hostages by a robber ( who initially wanted to rob a cashless bank). As the plot thickens, it explores the interwoven back-stories of all the characters- highlighting complexity and nuances of human life.
Very few books get a good audiobook renditions ( 'Born a crime' by Trevor Noah is my most favourite till date) -this is definitely one of them. Something that one could definitely enjoy on a long car drive, making the latter even more enjoyable!
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 03:34   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
In any case, i still prefer reading my own books and although i have a kindle and over 4000+ titles, i prefer my physical books with the crackle of paper and their wonderous smell
Just refinished re-reading my 10-year-old collection of Amar Chitra Katha comics; physical, paper edition. Trigger was a youngster reading the Arjun Amar Chitra Katha on a tablet. Swiping left is no fun.
The aroma is gone soon but the fun of turning pages remains. I still have half a dozen books tied up with everything from rubber bands to handkerchiefs and one with an actual crepe bandage (I needed the crepe bandage once and it now helps keep a book {in over thirty parts} together).
Also, still trying to understand if listening to audiobooks sparks the imagination that a printed-on-paper book does. Does "... woke up to a brilliant dawn after an exhausting day all refreshed for another challenging day" evoke the same emotion in audio as it does when reading? Amigos, please enlighten me. I am ignorant.
Mods: please remove if not appropriate.
If a majority agrees, may I suggest we open an 'audio' section as well where those wishing to 'hear', get an artificial intelligence/machine voice narrating the written word?
Curious after coming across a few news websites that have a link between the headline and the report which states "Listen to the story".
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Off-topic maybe: Star Wars Episode VIII (I think) when, at the end, Darth Vader tells Luke Skywalker: "I wish to see you with my own two eyes."
mygodbole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 05:56   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Read Artemis by Andy Weir

Sci-fi. Very nicely written with the science bits sound. Has a Heinlein Young Adult fiction feel to it.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 10:11   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone bought books from bookchor.com?
Old 31st October 2022, 11:41   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thanks for this. I needed something to get back to reading after almost 5 years of not making time for it.
If you've enjoyed Narcos, and like a fast paced read, this is perfect. I am moving onto Follett's Pillars next. Did not anticipate the tome I would receive when I ordered it.
8 months in, and hundreds of airports and flights later, I can say that this was a brilliant read. What amazing presentation, and depiction!
I would suggest to others go for the kindle edition if possible.
Old 31st October 2022, 12:01   #1316
BHPian

Took time off over Diwali and managed to read a bunch of books. Finally managed to complete 3 books of Ramachandra Series - Pretty much well written and provides a different take on Ramayana. I am sure most here would have read it already. So, I am not going to do a deep dive in this

Read a few non fiction and wanted to lapse into some mindless fun. Read the following

Oath of Loyalty - Vince Flynn estate written by Kyle Mills. Kyle Mills rose to popularity having looped in by the Robert Ludlum estate to write some of his books. Covert One series was started by the Ludlum estate based on some of his ideas and written by different authors. One of the key authors was Kyle Mills. Some of his Covert One series were pretty good. He was then roped to be part of Vince Flynn estate and wrote 6 books till date. The last of them was released in 2022 called Oath Of Loyalty. This can simply be avoided even if you are a Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp) fan. Absolutely pathetic story line and challenges in grammar as well

Rising Tiger - Brad Thor - Another author who has been writing about the Secret Service, CIA, FBI and the multitude of acronyms that float around United States. For a change, the focus shifts from Middle East to Indian sub-continent with India, Pakistan, China. Quite well written and includes some critical incidents that happened in India - Galwan Valley attack, Bipin Rawat's helicopter crash. While it started off well, i felt somewhere the author relaxed a bit and wanted to end the book very quickly. Definitely a one-time read
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 13:15   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Has anyone bought books from bookchor.com?
Yes bought a couple of books from them a few months back. You had any specific queries regarding them?
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 14:01   #1318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
8 months in, and hundreds of airports and flights later, I can say that this was a brilliant read. What amazing presentation, and depiction!
I would suggest to others go for the kindle edition if possible.
So did you finish just 'Pillars of the Earth' or the complete trilogy and the prequel of 'Pillars..' . Agree, it is a fantastic read.

I liked the The 'Century Trilogy' even better as it is set in a more modern world.

His latest booked 'Never' is also a great read and actually a little scary considering the current geo-political situation(even though it is a fiction)
Old 31st October 2022, 14:10   #1319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
So did you finish just 'Pillars of the Earth' or the complete trilogy and the prequel of 'Pillars..' . Agree, it is a fantastic read.

I liked the The 'Century Trilogy' even better as it is set in a more modern world.

His latest booked 'Never' is also a great read and actually a little scary considering the current geo-political situation(even though it is a fiction)
The Kingsbridge series. I will get back to the rest of the series later.
I will take a break right now, rereading man in the high castle to correlate to the series I just finished.
Old 23rd April 2023, 19:42   #1320
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

The Man from Earth

Rating: 4.5/5

Read this book a couple of weeks back and only just finished watching the equally well curated movie yesterday. I so wanted to this the other way around, but a bit of self-discipline helped me enjoy this book even more.

What I really liked about the book, which is basically just an antecedent to the movie's script, is how intellectually the secondary characters engage in dialogue with the protagonist. Hits on some very captivating but heavy ideas about religion(not everyone's cup of tea and certainly not mine, hence took it at face value), but ends in a beautiful little twilight zone.

A good short read, and definitely one of favorite works of Sci-Fi so far. Watch the 2007 adaptation if you are short on time, it does very well at encompassing the gist of the book.

The Books Thread (Fiction)-6157551.jpg
MotoBlip is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks