Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 267 62.53%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.12%
Apple iPad 9 2.11%
Android Tablet 13 3.04%
B&B Nook 5 1.17%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.45%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.17%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2018, 08:03   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
@sridhu.Completed reading two volumes of the epic novel"Ponniyin Selvan" .Rest three volumes remains to be read.I like historical novels especially by Kalki.
I am an avid Wodehouse fan since 1963..Have read almost all his books except the Golf theme books.
Oh the Golf books are awesome! You should read them.

Do you read Sandalyan also? Actually do you read books in Tamil?
Old 29th April 2018, 08:17   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Oh the Golf books are awesome! You should read them.

Do you read Sandalyan also? Actually do you read books in Tamil?
I have The Heart Of A Goof. Will read it. I read Tamil books. Have been reading since 1963 . My favourites: Devan, Manian, Kalki, Sujatha ... I haven't read Sandilyan books.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2019 at 21:36. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 9th September 2018, 11:46   #1218
BHPian

Kevin Kwan Trilogy
Book 1 Crazy Rich Asians
Book 2 Rich China Girlfriend
Book 3 Rich People Problems

With all the hype surrounding the movie released in Aug 2018 and with it breaking lot of records, decided to get into the Crazy Rich Asians world and see what the hype was all about
Started reading and kept reading till I finished all three books.The books are a fun read and will not disappoint.

Not surprised to note that the books were bestsellers and the movie is doing well.
Also a sequel of the movie is in the works.
Well deserved.

Movie
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3

Last edited by Ithaca : 9th September 2018 at 11:48.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:16   #1219
BHPian

Amazon has recently launched Prime Reads for prime subscription holders.

https://www.amazon.in/kindle-dbs/hz/...ref_=sv_kinc_2

Quoting from the website

"Prime Reading Benefits. As an active Amazon.in Prime Member, you are entitled to access or download eligible e-books made available under Prime Reading, subject to a limit of 10 books (which may be increased at Amazon’s sole discretion) at any given point of time. Amazon has the sole right to determine the eligibility of the books included in Prime Reading. You will not be charged incremental fees for using the Prime Reading benefit from Amazon."
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:30   #1220
BHPian

BHPians in Delhi can donate any old books/stationary at various metro stations (including school/college textbooks) from 2-8 October 2018.

The Books Thread (Fiction)-donate-books.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2019 at 21:37. Reason: Picture inserted inline.
Old 7th November 2018, 13:24   #1221
BHPian

If you are a fan of audio books – Audible is launched in India with free trial for initial 90 days.
Old 7th November 2018, 13:40   #1222
Senior - BHPian

The Poll ought to also have an option for multiple methods.

Iam an inveterately avid reader, often reading 2 sometimes 3 books a week. New ones, old ones and re-reading some especially favourite ones too. I make time because I hardly watch TV.

I use the Kindle most of the time. But in its avatar on the iPad Pro or iPhone. Nowadays with all the travel, I would like to lighten my load as much as possible.

And manage life as far as possible with only one device which I can work from as well as use as my entertainment device, such as for reading or listening to music or perhaps occasionally watch Netflix or Amazon Prime. Hence, I find the combination of the iPad Pro and iPhone the most efficient for me.

I love that Kindle Paperwhite which I have. It is small and cute too. So I know I can carry it along. But I tend not to do so, substituting it with the iPad instead.

Saying all the above, I love paperback and hardcover physical books too. Indeed we have cupboards full of books lying about at home.

There is a certain pleasure in turning the pages. And the beautiful smell of a new book!

But in the interests of travelling light when on a trip and for saving space at home, I have more or less stopped buying books in their physical form....
Old 15th November 2018, 13:38   #1223
BHPian

Another 3 months and i will have my book collection out of the boxes and onto shelves. I am getting a floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookshelf with a reading nook inbuilt. So back to basics and goodbye kindle
Read "The Fox" by Fredrick Forsythe. Having read all his books, the Fox seems a bit insipid with a minimalist plot. His writing skills are still there, creating a good picture of how the time was and historical facts, but compared to some of his early works, this pales
Picked up the latest of Tom Clancy stable and put it away after 50 pages. One more author who had it when he was alive and whose name is tarnished after his death
Day time reading now is "A Palace of Illusions" and night time is my fav "P.G.Wodehouse"

For all multiple book readers - do you have daytime favourites Vs night time favourites ?
Old 15th November 2018, 14:45   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Another 3 months and i will have my book collection out of the boxes and onto shelves. I am getting a floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookshelf with a reading nook inbuilt. So back to basics and goodbye kindle
?

Good for you, literally!

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news...-you/38525953/

5 ways reading a real book with physical pages is good for you
Old 18th November 2018, 09:44   #1225
BHPian

Update on the latest reads:

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
The Dirty Dozen: Hitmen of the Mumbai Underworld - Gabriel Khan
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Adi Shankaracharya: Hinduism's Greatest Thinker - Pavan K. Varma
The Call of the Wild - Jack London
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne
King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
The Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Volume 1 - Douglas Adams
When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi
The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
Old 18th November 2018, 10:57   #1226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas...
If you liked this one, you could try the rest of the series too. The d'Artagnan Romances trace all the characters through their lives.

The Count of Monte Cristo is another Dumas worth a read, if you haven't already.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th November 2018 at 10:59.
Old 18th November 2018, 15:18   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you liked this one, you could try the rest of the series too. The d'Artagnan Romances trace all the characters through their lives.

The Count of Monte Cristo is another Dumas worth a read, if you haven't already.
Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I don't read more than one book of an author no matter how good his/her books are. For example, I have read only one book of Harry Potter and only one book of Game of Thrones. I apportion my time to as many good authors as possible. I have read many books of some authors but they are small books used to pass time from such authors as James Hadley Chase, Erle Stanley Gardner, and Agatha Christie.

I am also reading books now that I should have read in my young age but didn't. My son has gone book-crazy and I am getting him some solid children's books and I too read them along with him (such as The Little Prince, The Jungle Book, and The Secret Garden).
Old 18th November 2018, 15:34   #1228
Team-BHP Support

I just finished reading the first of the Emberverse series book.

Dies the Fire (Book 1)

It about the life after the Change. The Change refers to a day in 1998 when all electrical items and explosives stop working all over the world. That means the world reverts at least by 1000 years in technology, with some exceptions. Mechanical stuff still works. Horses and Bicycles become the main vehicles of transport. People are forced to form tribes and fight using swords/archery and steel armour. It is an amazing work of imagination, using ancient tech, but in modern times. All people have to learn to farm or forage for survival.

I kept recalling this post while reading this book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I understand this analogy may be far from perfect. But when I visualize a life away from the costly cities and in some quiet village, I realize I have none of the skills actually essential to living life. What I have are useless to earn me my daily bread.
Yes, you are right if someday we end up in the apocalyptic world imagined in this book.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:49   #1229
BHPian

Try out the AnyBooks app.
Only for android, totally worth it.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th January 2019 at 21:39. Reason: Post fixed for readability.
Old 28th March 2019, 23:32   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or does anyone else also feel that of late, the physical quality of the books from Amazon has come down? Almost like the counterfiet books available on the roadside. In fact, I returned the last couple of books since they looked shabby.

Unfortunately, the number of local bookstores have come down and even the ones that are present just stock the popular best sellers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks