Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 265 62.35%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.24%
Apple iPad 9 2.12%
Android Tablet 13 3.06%
B&B Nook 5 1.18%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.47%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.18%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 20:30   #1186
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Finished a couple of ones this fortnight

1. Point of Contact - Mike Maden under Tom Clancy umbrella. Continues the story for father and son Ryan and their shennanigans to save the world. Mike is probably more closer to Tom Clancy's style of writing as compared to Grant Blackwood or Mark Greanley.

2. End Game - David Baldacci - Typical of DB. 2 people get together carrying baggage and trying to end a crime. Maybe a cursory read

3. The People Vs Alex Cross - James Patterson - My first dabble into JP. Found it ok. I thought it was a bit shallow as far as building the situation

4. Leonard - Currently reading Leonard by William Shatner. Very interesting. I love the duo and the entire Star Trek series as i grew up on it. Also for me William Shatner holds a special place with his role in Boston Legal as a madcow affected lawyer - Danny Crane.
Old 18th January 2018, 22:15   #1187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
2. End Game - David Baldacci - Typical of DB. 2 people get together carrying baggage and trying to end a crime. Maybe a cursory read
I usually keep such books on my phone. Very handy when taking an evening walk or heading to (or back from) work. Make a perfect audiobook and helps make traffic prone commute easier.
Old 29th January 2018, 10:22   #1188
Senior - BHPian

I read all my books on Amazon Kindle.

I am a history buff. My favourite genre is Historical Fiction. The world wars(both) are my favourite subjects. Currently, I am in between of an interesting non-fiction named " The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich". by William L. Shirer. It chronicles the rise and fall of Nazi Germany from the birth of Adolf Hitler in 1889 to the end of World War II in 1945.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th January 2018 at 10:23. Reason: typo
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:11   #1189
BHPian

Read the series “Day by Day Armageddon” by JL Broune, it’s a Post-apocalyptic zombie world, a genre of which I am a fan of.
The Book 1 starts of well, the story line is typical to the genre, book 2 and 3 held well with a good story line. The last book of the series, Ghost Run was disappointing, it did tie up the story, however it felt lacking.
Old 1st February 2018, 13:55   #1190
BHPian

Just finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. It has been touted as one of the few must read books and ofcourse it sits bang in the middle of New York Times Best Sellers. However, i felt the book gets muddled in between and i can call it a fuzzy literature focusing on Sapiens as the destroyers of everything good and moving towards the realm of Gods. The book ends with a apocalyptical message

I believe that the book is a 3 star or thereabouts and can be left deep within your library and not in the forefront.
Old 1st February 2018, 19:02   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Just finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. It has been touted as one of the few must read books and ofcourse it sits bang in the middle of New York Times Best Sellers. However, i felt the book gets muddled in between and i can call it a fuzzy literature focusing on Sapiens as the destroyers of everything good and moving towards the realm of Gods. The book ends with a apocalyptical message

I believe that the book is a 3 star or thereabouts and can be left deep within your library and not in the forefront.
Even I have read on social media that this book is very good. However your review implies that it seems like an average book. Is there anyway I can find a list of books which is labelled as New York Times Best Sellers?
Old 1st February 2018, 21:56   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I thought this was a science book and had put it on the to read list for this year. If its opinion and not science, then I may have to re-prioritize my list
Old 2nd February 2018, 00:26   #1193
Senior - BHPian

I completed my first book of 2018 - Between Parent and Child by Haim Ginott. I rate this book five stars. A must read for all parents specially with kids older than 5-6 years. It gives a good insight into psychology of a child. Some common issues with kids have been brought out realistically. The book is very contemporary irrespective of the fact that it was published more than 50 years ago.
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:58   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I thought this was a science book and had put it on the to read list for this year. If its opinion and not science, then I may have to re-prioritize my list
It is academic to an extent but based on certain opinions of the author. I would suggest reprioritize, but you might want to keep it at the bottom of the list
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:39   #1195
BHPian

Just finished James Rollins Demon Crown. Quite a silly read actually. But it breaks the monotony of reading heavier books. If you dont have anything much to do, then you can afford to spend time reading this. Definitely not worth buying
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:56   #1196
BHPian

Bombay Fever by Sidin Vadukut

Read Bombay Fever by Sidin Vadukut a couple of weeks back. It is a well-researched, fast paced medical thriller based in Mumbai. Quite scary also.

The book doesn't seem typically Indian, as it keeps to its mandate - no typical Indian clichés, no romantic or political angles; It is up there with any of the top Robin Cook thrillers of yesteryears.

Sidin Vadukut, given his media background and his Arsenal passion, brings in a few insider/contextual references, which are the only minor irritants in an otherwise good book.

4****/5

Last edited by DigitalOne : 3rd February 2018 at 19:57. Reason: Clarity
Old 4th February 2018, 11:05   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I read all my books on Amazon Kindle.

I am a history buff. My favourite genre is Historical Fiction. The world wars(both) are my favourite subjects. Currently, I am in between of an interesting non-fiction named " The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich". by William L. Shirer. It chronicles the rise and fall of Nazi Germany from the birth of Adolf Hitler in 1889 to the end of World War II in 1945.
If you like fictionalized historicals (aftermaths of the Great Wars) then you may have already read SS-GB. If not, then its a good read. Len Deighton was a great yarn writer of the Cold War spy saga era - rather like Le Carre, but not as heavy weight. SS-GB was possibly his first attempt at historical fiction, and not half bad I felt.

Quote:
Just finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. It has been touted as one of the few must read books and of course it sits bang in the middle of New York Times Best Sellers. However, i felt the book gets muddled in between and i can call it a fuzzy literature focusing on Sapiens as the destroyers of everything good and moving towards the realm of Gods. The book ends with a apocalyptical message. I believe that the book is a 3 star or thereabouts and can be left deep within your library and not in the forefront.
Subraiyr, I'll take your word for it! Too much cerebral, apocalyptic, pseudo-science-fiction can safely be kept for a rainy day. When there are such great science non-fiction writers (too numerous to mention here actually!) around, why not go for the real thing!

Last edited by shashanka : 4th February 2018 at 11:06.
Old 7th March 2018, 14:45   #1198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Team,

Let's please keep this thread for fiction only. A new thread has been created for non-fiction books - link (The Books Thread (non-fiction)).
Old 7th March 2018, 16:26   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (Fiction)

I had read HARAPPA few months back, but now with 2nd book; PRALAY on shelves, I re-read both of the novels back-to-back.
Now eagerly waiting for the last one in the series - KASHI.

PRALAY being middle book has lots of discussion sections and thus tend to drag, but only for couple of pages & again that is my POV.

People have called him DAN BROWN of India & I would agree to about 7/10 times.

The Books Thread (Fiction)-harappa.jpg
The Books Thread (Fiction)-pralay.jpg

Regards-Sonu
Old 8th March 2018, 15:20   #1200
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (Fiction)

Read an interesting tweet today from Ravichand @stocknladdr with a quote from Confucius.
He also linked to an interesting article about how one can read more.

How To Read More Books

One important point for me in that article was

Quote:
Avoid reading on your smartphone.
So I just recommended using the Kindle app on your smartphone to get more reading done.
Now I’m going to completely contradict that advice
I’ve found that when I read on my phone, I tend to get really distracted. I’ll read for 5 minutes, but then get the itch to check my email or scroll through ...........
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (Fiction)-quote.jpeg  

Last edited by Ithaca : 8th March 2018 at 15:39. Reason: Added a few lines and edited spelling mistakes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks