Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 267 62.53%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.12%
Apple iPad 9 2.11%
Android Tablet 13 3.04%
B&B Nook 5 1.17%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.45%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.17%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 15:54   #1126
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Tried their website for answer but couldn't get a satisfactory one. Any idea why a digital library will have restriction on number of books and how does one returns it back?
From what I understand, Open Library have only a few "digital" copies of each book. Like any physical library, you have to enrol. You log in using your email and pasword registered with open library.

The actual borrowing and returning books are through "Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software" which has to be installed in your computer. It is the ADE which serve as your "bookshelf" . When you open the software, the books you have borrowed will be shown, and you click on the file name and do the reading. Using ADE you have the option to return the book early once you finish. If you dont return it, after the expiry off the loan period, you no longer can read the book. You can then "remove" it from your bookshelf. Please note that you dont need to log in to the open library. site to either read a book which you have borrowed or even return it. You use Digital Editions for that - as mentioned that is your "bookshelf". Only for borrowing a new book , obviously you have to log on to the open library site. You can also put yourself in waiting list if the book you require is checked out. They will email you when it is available and your have to borrow it within a specified period.

Open Library is the place to go where you need to get hold of a book which may be long out of print. There are good chances you may find it . You also have a good selection of Classics as well as contemporary fiction.

I dont have Kindle and where currently I am, there are not many big book shops . Thus for me Open Library is a lifeline!
Old 10th May 2017, 18:24   #1127
BHPian

Thanks for your efforts in clarifying things . Maybe a stupid question but can't they just make copies of the digital edition?
Old 10th May 2017, 19:32   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest start with Lee Child. Gripping with twists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Agree with KD007's suggestion to start with Lee Child (have you seen Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, BTW?), you can also try J D Robb (sort of detective based) and Steve Berry (thriller fiction type) ....
Posted the same query on Facebook and in a few Whatsapp groups too and the suggestions were quite similar:
1. Lee Child - Night School tops the list.
2. Brian Cox - Forces of Nature comes in a close second.
3. J.D. Robb - Apprentice in Death.
4. John Connoly - A Time of Torment.

3 & 4 just got 1 recomendation each. The other 3 books didn't get a mention. I gues I'll start with Lee Child.
Old 11th May 2017, 08:35   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Anyone reads Stephen King? Any reviews from bhpians?
Yes, I did read a few of his books (the Shining was a favourite read at the time) but in between he seemed to have struck a writer's block and for a while wrote some crappy books. His contemporary efforts are said to be good (going by the reviews).

(file:///C:/Users/admin/Desktop/StephenKing.com%20-%20Novels%20-%20Oldest%20to%20Newest.html)
Old 11th May 2017, 09:52   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your efforts in clarifying things . Maybe a stupid question but can't they just make copies of the digital edition?

I belive this has to do wth copy right laws. Many of the books I have found are from participating libraries who digitise the physical copies of the books after withdrawing them their shelves after a certain period. Also I guess the reason you may not have the latest best seller available in open library.

You may also check out "Project Gutenberg" , another source of free (and legal) ebooks.. Giving below the Wikipedia link.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg
Old 11th May 2017, 19:36   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Yes, I did read a few of his books (the Shining was a favourite read at the time) but in between he seemed to have struck a writer's block and for a while wrote some crappy books. His contemporary efforts are said to be good (going by the reviews).

(file:///C:/Users/admin/Desktop/StephenKing.com%20-%20Novels%20-%20Oldest%20to%20Newest.html)
I do. I do. My fav till date has been IT. What a brilliant book. I first read it when i was 14 years old. I was traveling with my sister to Delhi from Chennai. Our first trip alone without parents and the book sent me into a sleepless zone for 3 days. And to back it all up, my brother in law took us to Nightmare on Elm Street. What a combo with a clown and Freddie.
Old 11th May 2017, 19:46   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This number made me curious, so I looked up how many Kindle books I have purchased since 2010, when I got my first Kindle. Turns out I have bought 168 books on Kindle. But I have been reading books since 1976, covering around 20-25 books every year. I never thought about keeping count.
Well Samurai. You touched a tough one there. I started reading books when i was about 8 years old. Of course Famous Five and then slowly moved to others. But i never kept count.
I started buying books once i became a bit affluent (around 2000). I returned some of them during the course of the last few years. At last count when we shifted houses, we (me and missus) had about 1800 titles. Alas the new house did not have enough space, so we air sealed it and put it up. I got both me and missus an ipad and in the last 5 years have managed to amass 2200 titles. Of course 200 out of these were children's book - Hardy Boys and Biggles.
My all time favorites have been The Fountainhead, Lord of The Rings and Godfather. Atlas Shrugged came close, but it was very Utopian in nature. Between missus and me we read Fountainhead once a year and till date we have had to buy about 9 copies in the last 14 years.

Uff - that was a long long story.

So this is a short one. Are there any Wodehousians in the house...Would like to listen to favs. Which ones ?

Jeeves and Wooster
Ukridge
Psmith
Blandings

I dint know how to do a poll. So just stuck it over here.

@Admins - Any chance of polling for this ?

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2017 at 18:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 11th May 2017, 21:06   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
So this is a short one. Are there any Wodehousians in the house...Would like to listen to favs. Which ones ?
Jeeves and Wooster
Ukridge
Psmith
Blandings
Well now! This is what I call the luck of the Bodkins! This is only the second time on a public forum that I've come across a kindred soul! As one Wodehousean to another, I'll confess I'm partial to Blandings Castle & its denizens (specially the Empress!) and to Bertie of course! There was none like good old Pelham, none.!
Au revoir, till we meet in Arcady!
Shashanka
Old 12th May 2017, 14:29   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jeeves and Wooster
Ukridge
Psmith
Blandings

Wodehouse had already made an entrance here, if am right.

Apart from the Wooster/Jeeves, Blandings and Co, Wodehouse had written a series in a totally different setting

The clicking of the Cuthbert - based on golfing. As good a 'farce' that a Wodehousian treat can get
Old 12th May 2017, 17:48   #1135
BHPian

Wodehouse has also written a few school stories based on settings like
St Austin's, Beckford college etc. Great reads!
Old 14th May 2017, 09:51   #1136
BHPian

My PGW favourites are:
1.Jeeves & Bertie
2.Blandings-Lord Emsworth,Uncle Fred
3.Mr Mulliner
4 Drones
Been reading PGW since 1965
Old 15th May 2017, 10:00   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Despite Wodehouse having given such sublime joy to countless admirers and lovers of the English language, there was an uncalled for and deeply unfair shadow on a large part of his life because of his war-time experience. His internment in 1941 by the Germans (after his capture in occupied France and subsequently in Berlin) and his radio broadcasts over German radio had much to do with this. The controversy (and his personal pain) can be understood by going through the following link (http://www.pgwodehousebooks.com/). It is the resource site for Wodehouse memorabilia.

Perhaps his long-delayed knighthood (there were far lesser souls who were granted the honour much earler!) which he recieved shortly before he passed away, was partly because of his war-time experience. Also one can't refute the possibility that the British establishment (the landed gentry & aristocracy) had long nursed a grudge because of the nature of his books - where he pokes gentle fun at this segment of the population. This may also be a reason why Wodehouse was so much more popular in the US than in his native England.

But for his legion of fans and admirers, he remains unparalleled as the master of his craft.

Last edited by shashanka : 15th May 2017 at 10:06.
Old 17th May 2017, 21:23   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do. I do. My fav till date has been IT. What a brilliant book. I first read it when i was 14 years old. I was traveling with my sister to Delhi from Chennai. Our first trip alone without parents and the book sent me into a sleepless zone for 3 days. And to back it all up, my brother in law took us to Nightmare on Elm Street. What a combo with a clown and Freddie.
Yes, the Shining was a brilliant work and deserves all the accolades. And contrary to what I have found when discussing the book with others (who seemed to feel that the film version was crap!) I found the movie to be just as gripping.

If you are interested in paranormalia, you may have read "Hunt for the Skinwalker" by Colm A. Kelleher and George Knapp, the documentary-style account (rather like "The Mothman Prophecies" by John Keel) of an investigation into the paranormal occurrences on a remote ranch in Utah. And if you haven't, then it may be a good idea to get it! For paranormalia addicts, its a must read.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:49   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Well now! This is what I call the luck of the Bodkins! This is only the second time on a public forum that I've come across a kindred soul!
Shashanka
Quote:
Another Wodehouse fan here. Ever since my mom introduced me to the Jeeves series, I must have read most of the Jeeves and Wooster books at least 3-4 times over each. I find them a really fascinating study in inimitably fantastic English coupled with satire. While on the outside, they are a riot to read through, they provide really good insights into the ostentatious lives of the well to do in mid- 1900s. My favourite undoubtedly is the Jeeves and Wooster series, though I do like Blandings and the Psmith series as well.

All Wodehouse fans must- I repeat, must- watch the BBC series of Jeeves and Wooster where the lead roles are played by Stephen Fry (Jeeves) and Hugh Laurie (Bertie Wooster). This is a superb and classic watch, and follows the actual stories very closely. Most episodes are available freely on Youtube, so don't miss this!
Old 18th May 2017, 17:12   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Another Wodehouse fan here. Ever since my mom introduced me to the Jeeves series, I must have read most of the Jeeves and Wooster books at least 3-4 times over each. I find them a really fascinating study in inimitably fantastic English coupled with satire. While on the outside, they are a riot to read through, they provide really good insights into the ostentatious lives of the well to do in mid- 1900s. My favourite undoubtedly is the Jeeves and Wooster series, though I do like Blandings and the Psmith series as well.
All Wodehouse fans must- I repeat, must- watch the BBC series of Jeeves and Wooster where the lead roles are played by Stephen Fry (Jeeves) and Hugh Laurie (Bertie Wooster). This is a superb and classic watch, and follows the actual stories very closely. Most episodes are available freely on Youtube, so don't miss this!

Hello Arindam, its great to know that there are a fair number of Wodehouse fans here. I have tried to follow the BBC series (The World of Wodehouse) and after a few episodes I found that - for me - the flavour of the language was getting lost somewhere in the transition from book to screen! I have heard people give similar logic to explain why Satyajit Ray did not make films of his father's (Sukumar Ray, the well-known Bengali humorist) books.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks