Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 265 62.35%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.24%
Apple iPad 9 2.12%
Android Tablet 13 3.06%
B&B Nook 5 1.18%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.47%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.18%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 14:35   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Raj Kapoor had picked up the story of this novel for his film 'Phir Subah Hogi'.
As you read on you will realise that there is absolutely nothing in common between Phir Subah Hogi and Crime and Punishment. Murderer as a victim of circumstances (Typical of Indian movies) and Murder committed as a matter of principal are as different as chalk and cheese

My favorite author by a huge distance. Idiot, Demons and the Village of Stepanchikovo (a brilliant study on servility) top the list
Old 25th March 2014, 14:48   #857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
My favorite author by a huge distance. Idiot, Demons and the Village of Stepanchikovo (a brilliant study on servility) top the list
Add to it "Insulted and Humiliated". In spite of translated works, the plot really forces you to think. Thats the strength of his portrayals. Thats the other reason I think why he is considered a first read for all students of literature and drama (The other author being Hardy).
Old 30th March 2014, 18:54   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
After finishing the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, i am struggling to find another series as good (or as descriptive) as WOT. Any Fantasy fans who can suggest me some books/authors?
yeah The Game of Thrones by George.R.R.Martin (Grrm)is a fabulous read! There are 7 books in the series (2 yet to be released)

o A Game of Thrones, Bantam Books, 1996
o A Clash of Kings, Bantam Books, 1999
o A Storm of Swords, Bantam Books, 2000
o A Feast for Crows, Bantam Books, 2005
o A Dance with Dragons, Bantam Books, 2011
o The Winds of Winter, forthcoming/Bantam Books
o A Dream of Spring, forthcoming/Bantam Books

Also, it has been adapted into a superb series by HBO.
I'd suggest reading the books before you watch the series. The suspense is intense and the characters are just fantastic. My favourites being Tyrion Lannister and Arya stark.
Sample a couple of lines of Tyrion lannister :
“Let me tell you something, B******. Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.”

"A sword through the bowels, a sure cure for constipation"

“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much Jon Snow.”

Another good author is Patrick Rothfuss and i recently read his 2 of his 3 book series 'The name of the wind'
The name of the wind
The wise man's fear
The doors of stone (to be released)

and recommend it wholeheartedly.

Here are a list of suggestions of Grrm. seems interesting
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-...at-im-reading/
Old 31st March 2014, 11:36   #859
BHPian

I am not a great fan of Robert Jordan, but i do think the Rama series is one of my all time favourite series as far as Fantasy or should i say Sci Fi is concerned. I am not too much into the GOT or WOT series. I just cant bring myself to read it again. Also, try Heliconia Series by Brian Aldiss. I think that is one series H Summer, H Spring and H Winter which is very underrated.
Having got into Sci Fi realm - any Terry Pratchet or Tom Holt fans ?
Old 21st April 2014, 22:54   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Add to it "Insulted and Humiliated". In spite of translated works, the plot really forces you to think. Thats the strength of his portrayals.
Add to that Brothers Karamazov. His last work in which he seems to have given it all he got!

Recently finished reading V S Naipaul's Bend in the River. It was his first book i read. I might go back for more. I liked his slow pace of narration and the way he intertwined the protagonist's internal struggle with the geopolitical changes around him.
Old 21st April 2014, 23:23   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Team, one of my close relatives has written and published a thriller novel - 'The Steradian Trail'. Its available in sites like flipkart and amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You know what they say about IITians writing books... hopefully this is different.

http://listcrux.com/top-10-reasons-w...writing-books/
Samurai, sort-of very late reply but nevertheless.. The book is totally different from the stereotypes mentioned in the link - it was damn funny though.

The novel is a highly original mystery-thriller that unravels hidden connections between computers, religion, culture and an intelligent crime. It has also got some good reviews from many people.

Awaiting some reviews from our t-bhp community!

Cheers!!

Last edited by callvvijay : 21st April 2014 at 23:33.
Old 22nd April 2014, 04:03   #862
Senior - BHPian

The latest Archer book in the Harry Clifton Chronicles....'Be Careful what you wish for...'

A very good, gripping read.

Another super book I chanced upon by accident. Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony. A must read for animal lovers.
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:35   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Add to that Brothers Karamazov. His last work in which he seems to have given it all he got!
Somehow I prefer the other books than Karamazov - actually for the reason you have mentioned! He seems to have given all he got in that book. The others are stories of questions and doubts, and of the tormented souls, whereas in Brothers Karamazov, he is sure of the side he has to take

Yet to read a Naipaul. Should start reading one
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:46   #864
BANNED

Quote:
As you read on you will realise that there is absolutely nothing in common between Phir Subah Hogi and Crime and Punishment. Murderer as a victim of circumstances (Typical of Indian movies) and Murder committed as a matter of principal are as different as chalk and cheese

Quote:
Add to it "Insulted and Humiliated". In spite of translated works, the plot really forces you to think. Thats the strength of his portrayals. Thats the other reason I think why he is considered a first read for all students of literature and drama (The other author being Hardy).
Completed Crime and Punishment. Truly it has nothing in common with the film (Bollywood thrives on simplistic narrative). Took me much much more time than expected. I had to labour through the first 300 pages. Perhaps I was looking at the book from the film's narrative (in the process missed much of the complexities) but as I got over this hang it turned out to be gripping. Last 100 pages was unputdownable. As mentioned by both of you will go for Idiot and Insulted and Humiliated.

Thanks. (Wish we had thanks button here).

Starting on Rafa, the biography of Rafael Nadal written by John Carlin.

Last edited by anandjha : 22nd April 2014 at 11:47.
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:29   #865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Last 100 pages was unputdownable. As mentioned by both of you will go for Idiot and Insulted and Humiliated.
Insulted and Humiliated is not that philosophical as Crime and Punishment. It has has much higher dramatics quotient.
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:16   #866
Team-BHP Support

Just began Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 Trilogy. No previous experience of this author, but initial impressions say he takes his time building up his characters and plot-lines.
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:40   #867
Team-BHP Support

I have added a poll to the thread. Kindly participate, I would love to see the result.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:52   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have added a poll to the thread. Kindly participate, I would love to see the result.
Please add 'Kobo' e-reader as one of the options. It is one of the popular e-readers in the market.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:55   #869
BANNED

Quote:
Insulted and Humiliated is not that philosophical as Crime and Punishment. It has has much higher dramatics quotient.
Seems interesting. Let's see how it turns out. Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2014, 14:57   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
The name of the wind
The wise man's fear
Finished reading the above books and I feel that the author is not very clear on what he wants to focus on. Some sections just drag on and on without any reason and in some there is just too much happening. Added to this is the lack of background and no build up of a larger picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Just began Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 Trilogy. No previous experience of this author, but initial impressions say he takes his time building up his characters and plot-lines.
Have read Norwegian wood and Kafka on the shore. He spends a lot of time describing the situation and the surroundings as well. Its like taking a painting and describing every single detail of color, texture and swirl. Its not something that I would read during a normal day but if I have the time and the mindset to immerse myself in a story, then Murakami is a good start.

Would suggest Michael Ondatjee if you haven't read his books. English patient is one of my favorites

Last edited by procrj : 22nd April 2014 at 14:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks