Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 265 62.35%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.24%
Apple iPad 9 2.12%
Android Tablet 13 3.06%
B&B Nook 5 1.18%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.47%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.18%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 13:47   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Finished reading Miss Callaghan Comes to Grief by James Hadley Chase, the guy known for his extremely fast paced thrillers.

This is the rarest of his works and you won't find it anywhere in the market. The reason being, the author and the publisher had to face a court case for releasing this book, because of its highly obscene ----------------

Read it only if you must or if you are a diehard Chase fan. Most people are likely to be left with a very unpleasant feeling after reading it.
which was the one where the female lead has magical powers? That was hilarious, equivalent to the road to Omaha in my mind.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:01   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Finished reading Miss Callaghan Comes to Grief by James Hadley Chase, the guy known for his extremely fast paced thrillers.
Iam a big time Chase fan. I have almost all his 70 ( or is it 80 novels?) and I never heard of this book.

The way you described the book, seems very un-James Hadley Chase. I guess will give this book a miss as I have a particular frame of mind of his novel themes and this one doesnt seem like it matches.

Btw, anyone here loves the famous Paradise City Cop, Lepski? Chase novels with him as the investigator is hilarious to say the least

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th March 2013 at 14:30.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:25   #738

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, anyone here loves the famous Paradise City Cop, Lewski? Chase novels with him as the investigator is hilarious to say the least
I too love Lewski and the way he investigates all those high profile heists in Paradise City. Overall I swear by all of JH Chase novels and have read almost all of them. I feel his books are 'unputdownable' and you need to finish them off in one sitting.

Its a good thing his novels are not bulky or very long.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:04   #739
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Iam a big time Chase fan. I have almost all his 70 ( or is it 80 novels?) and I never heard of this book.

The way you described the book, seems very un-James Hadley Chase. I guess will give this book a miss as I have a particular frame of mind of his novel themes and this one doesnt seem like it matches.

Btw, anyone here loves the famous Paradise City Cop, Lepski? Chase novels with him as the investigator is hilarious to say the least
In regards to a fast and pacy thriller which you cannot put down before you finish, It is very much vintage Chase.

I was not impressed because of it's excessive obscene content and the subject (brothel business) that it deals with.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:49   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks like that book was notorious in its time too. I am a big fan of Chase too - think the racy covers was what made me pick one up in school . But I stayed on for the writing - with the lovely twist in the tale.

Quote:
In regards to a fast and pacy thriller which you cannot put down before you finish, It is very much vintage Chase.

I was not impressed because of it's excessive obscene content and the subject (brothel business) that it deals with.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:59   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
which was the one where the female lead has magical powers? That was hilarious, equivalent to the road to Omaha in my mind.
Wasn't that Miss Shumway waves a wand?
Old 11th March 2013, 17:24   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Wasn't that Miss Shumway waves a wand?
That's the one!
Thanks. Will have to dig through the old boxes tonight and fish it out.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:05   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Just Started Reading "The Oath of The Vayuputras" Just been through the first Chapter, somehow it is not invoking the kind of interest the first two did.
Anyone else feeling the same?
Felt the same initially but after the twist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Finished reading "The oath of the Vayuputras". While this last part pales in comparison to the first two masterpieces, I don't think anything better could have been done to the concluding part.

It would be interesting to see if Amish gets to write or rewrite Mahabarath.
Yup. Hope he does! Would be another interesting novel but the volumes he might have to do!
Old 15th March 2013, 10:45   #744
BHPian

Read Jaya Mahabharata by Devdutt Patnaik. Interesting read; crisp writing with great illustrations.

Also has references to cities, places in and around the country which have significant relevance to the epic
Old 15th March 2013, 14:01   #745
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Felt the same initially but after the twist...
Inspired by your post I have started reading it seriously now
Old 15th March 2013, 14:53   #746
Senior - BHPian

I started "The Oath of The Vayuputras" and could not keep the book down. Completed the book in 2 full days

Ofcourse, with so much curse from my better half.

Yes, I too would like to wait for the Mahabharat, from Amish. His writing skills with perfect blend of history and fiction/myth is simple fantastic. I love it.
Old 17th March 2013, 12:00   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Just finished Doctors by Erich Segal.

A realistic account of the lives and struggles of doctors in the 1962 batch of Harvard Medical School, also portrays the lives of some key characters after they graduate and start practicing.

Overall, a fairly good book.

I agree. "Dcotors" is a good read along with similar biggies "The Class" and "Prizes" and helps pass the time time in long bus /train journeys.

A lot issues like Euthanasia , freedom to practice medicine in emergencies without liability issues, etc are dealt with fairly. Regarding novels revolving around the medical profession, I think this is actually a far better work than Arthur Hailey's "Final Diagnosis" However Hailey's "Strong Medicine" is a must read if you are interested to know about the pharmaceutical industry.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:20   #748
Oxy
BHPian

Here's a great recommendation for people who like the Malgudi Days kind of books - Tales from Firozsha Baag by Rohinton Mistry.

This is a collection of eleven short stories, set in a middle class Parsi colony in Mumbai. Each story highlights one character or a family in the colony.

Reading it makes you believe many of these experiences are the author's own childhood memories, as many of the stories relate to young boys and their growing up days.

Highly recommended.
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:26   #749
Team-BHP Support

The Oxford English Dictionary had a very curious tale associated with its genesis. If interested, the book by Simon Winchester is a must read.

The Professor and the Madman
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:44   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

The Oath of the Vayuputras - Finished it last night. Took the longest time of the 3. Certainly not comparable to the previous 2.

At places, I felt it was being dragged unnecessarily. And the climax was a bit of a damper for me - specially the bit about the Meluha's army and Mohenjodaro.

OT:
Ever since I read the trilogy, I am hooked on to the idea of advanced technologies being used in the ancient world - vimanas, nuclear weapons etc. YouTube is filled with documentaries on the topic. It seems even the Nazis studied the ancient texts to possibly unearth a technology forgotten with time - to build better bigger weapons/rockets.

I guess we will never know for sure and all these will always be 'theories'.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 22nd March 2013 at 17:45.

Most Viewed