Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 267 62.53%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.12%
Apple iPad 9 2.11%
Android Tablet 13 3.04%
B&B Nook 5 1.17%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.45%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.17%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 14:07   #676
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Y.E. Perelman, my hero too.

I have "physics can be fun" at my home in jabalpur, will have to bring it next time I go to India. Another book was in hindi called "Saras Ganit"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
There was also a small diary sized book, hardback, Blue, with experiments in physics.
Whiled away a lot of time with that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In addition to Yakov Perelman, add Short Stories of Chekov, Novels by Gorky, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Turgenev. Got most of their works in beautiful hard bounds.
Most of them I still retain. All of them are more than 25 years old. And off course not to mention the Physics problems book by Irodov and Calculus book by Piskunov!

Gamow has the other series : Mr Tompkins which is also beautifull.
Along with it, there is the text book called Physics : Foundations and Frontiers. A very beautiful book to read.

Current day problem is that students are so busy reading notes and coaching classes, they never get time to read from these ground breaking text books and hence have no catalysts to thinking.
Friends, I dad owned all these books. I have read all of them and always wanted to maintain these books for long. Unfortunetly, we lost many books when there was a fungal attack in the library last year when the house was locked for around 3 months in rains.
Can you guide me from where can I buy these books now?

TIA!
Old 11th October 2012, 20:03   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Current day problem is that students are so busy reading notes and coaching classes, they never get time to read from these ground breaking text books and hence have no catalysts to thinking.
Ampere. Very well said indeed. I am on my way to 40. I studied in coaching classes too during my IIT preps and stuff, but, in our school, Don Bosco, we had this "library" period, with a dedicated teacher, who used to ask for 400 word synopsis of the book I read that week. From ALL the 60 odd students. (There was no craze for small teacher to student ratios then, as is the USP these days,) and he could recognize each writing style so you could not copy some one else's work done weeks earlier! And we had to submit different genres each month, fiction, non fiction, pure art, modern science and what not! We used to curse the teacher then, but I now realize it was a blessing!

Where have these fine teachers gone, anyway? How many teachers do we have on this forum? They were one of the poorly paid class those days, sadly enough, which pushed many towards "private tutions" as a necessity. Not today!

On a lighter note, do our kids read Enid Blyton and Franklin W Dixon of the Hardy Boys fame and stuff, anymore? Or even Tintin? The TINTINS/Asterix series cost 400 bucks each, these days!

Cheers and long live the bookworm and all....
Old 25th November 2012, 18:03   #678
Team-BHP Support

Which is the best place to buy books for 18-24 month old kids in Delhi / NCR ? Need to check out the books physically, and maybe order them online in case they are cheaper
Old 25th November 2012, 18:17   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Which is the best place to buy books for 18-24 month old kids in Delhi / NCR ? Need to check out the books physically, and maybe order them online in case they are cheaper
CP,I would think. Or you could try any of the Om book stores.
Old 25th November 2012, 18:44   #680
Team-BHP Support

Yes, Om is on the list and so is the reliance outlet in Ambience.

Where in CP ? I also plan to go to the Darya Ganj book bazaar sometime soon
Old 25th November 2012, 18:51   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Yes, Om is on the list and so is the reliance outlet in Ambience.

Where in CP ? I also plan to go to the Darya Ganj book bazaar sometime soon
Galgotia and the one adjacent to it.
If youre willing to browse through used books,look at the vend right next to plaza.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:34   #682
Senior - BHPian

I just finished reading 'Steve Jobs' by Walter Isaacson. It is very nice read with gripping incidents all around. And it appears very neutral to portray the real Steve.

But I felt, it is kind of rushed up towards the end. I would have loved it to contain more details on Steve' second stint at Apple. And at places, there are some unwanted repetitions to remind readers what happened earlier wasting precious pages.

But a very good read nonetheless and a great insight into an awesome life.
Old 5th December 2012, 16:20   #683
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with the "Just Books" Chain that's opened up recently? They have a nice policy of "Rent, Read, Return", and seem to be growing, at least in Bangalore. They seem have many nice options such as free pick up/delivery of books. I wonder if they entertain requests from members to buy specific books, or get them from some other outlet.
Any reviews will be helpful, as my mom wants to get membership soon!
Old 5th December 2012, 23:23   #684
Team-BHP Support

Any review of Amitav Ghosh's Ibis Triology ?

Two books are :

Sea of Poppies &
River of Smoke

Edit: Actually have never read Amitav Ghosh before, but if he writes like Arundhati Roy then I am not touching his books with a barge pole !

Last edited by Eddy : 5th December 2012 at 23:27.
Old 5th December 2012, 23:43   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the "Just Books" Chain that's opened up recently? They have a nice policy of "Rent, Read, Return", and seem to be growing, at least in Bangalore. They seem have many nice options such as free pick up/delivery of books. I wonder if they entertain requests from members to buy specific books, or get them from some other outlet.
Any reviews will be helpful, as my mom wants to get membership soon!
Use their Thane outlet, and it's quite good. Huge collections of books from every genre. Try it out
Old 5th December 2012, 23:58   #686
BHPian

I just finished reading The Mind of God by Pal Davies and I just loved the way he put together metaphysics, quantum physics and the debate on a unified theory.

Anybody familiar with his work? I am trying to pick another one of his books but not sure which one to go with first.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:24   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I just finished reading The Mind of God by Pal Davies and I just loved the way he put together metaphysics, quantum physics and the debate on a unified theory.

Anybody familiar with his work? I am trying to pick another one of his books but not sure which one to go with first.
If you like Paul Davies, then you should also try Roger Penrose. IIRC, the most popular one is Emperor's New Mind. There are a few other titles similar to Mind of God, but they escape my mind currently. Have to look into my bookshelf to recall them.
Old 6th December 2012, 13:34   #688
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading 'The Emperor of All Maladies : A Biography of cancer' by Dr Siddhartha Mukherjee.

Very rarely do you find such an engrossing book written on such a complex issue like cancer. It is riveting from the first page, and the narrative is excellent.
There are instances where you have to flip back a few pages to recall the characters referred, and one needs to maintain concentration to not get lost in the medical terms used.
I literally flew through the 470 odd pages for the gripping flow, and never once did feel bored, though was exhausted at times trying to keep up with all the information shared.
This one's a must read - after all, not many oncologists win the Pulitzer prize for general nonfiction with their first publication.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th December 2012 at 13:43.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:08   #689
BHPian

Finished reading Chetan Bhagat's "One Night at The Call Center". Very nice, feel empathy with the characters.

It is striking how the ending is very similar to Life of Pi, where the main character asks which story is better - the fantasy or the real one.
Wonder how he got away with the copying thing. It must surely be illegal to do it.
Old 26th December 2012, 01:44   #690
Team-BHP Support

Though its a book thread, would recommend seeing the movie Finding Forrester. Leaving Sean Connery's theatrics and mannerisms apart,
I think themovie provides a very nice perspective about writing.

Definitely thought provoking in terms of what one should think to express.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks