Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 265 62.35%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.24%
Apple iPad 9 2.12%
Android Tablet 13 3.06%
B&B Nook 5 1.18%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.47%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.18%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 01:35   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy

I just read it. People must have read this as part of their "education" in college or abridged versions of it in school etc. I cannot imagine how a book written decades ago is so relevant in our age. I made a comparison with the IT world - office politics, backstabbing etc!

!
That is what bounds you to this book , the Irony of it's relevance to today and the fact that STALINS of today are still fooling the public with their rhetoric and sloganism

This book points to one's inner struggle with truth and helpless at watching lies becoming truth through rhetoric
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:57   #632
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
This book points to one's inner struggle with truth and helpless at watching lies becoming truth through rhetoric
I am yet to get hold of this book, although I have seen the animation on it. Not to forget the Pink Floyd album "Animal" which was heavily influenced by Orwell's Animal Farm, still remains one among the cult classics we have seen from that golden age. One of my friend wrote a blog post some years back when we just got into our first jobs after after engineering, if you guys have nothing else to do, feel free to have a wander around the blog

DG-eneration: Pink Floyd - Dogs

I tried for a good amount of time to come up with my top 5 books and realised yet again that I have not finished most of the books I start reading, I get bored very easily. Maybe my introduction to literature set the bar too high . The first and second book I ever read were The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and I still dream of making an Atlantis of my own!!

I am currently reading "Martin Eden" by Jack London, just started it, will post my views on it soon.
Old 25th July 2012, 09:05   #633
BHPian

My current all time favourite five fictions are:

1. Ken Follett's - Code to zero
2. Sidney Sheldon's - Master of the game
3. Arthur Hailey's - Detective
4. Jeffrey Archer's - Shall we tell the president?
5. Raymond Khoury's - The sign

Currently I'm reading Devdutt Pattanaik's Mahabharatha.
I'm also a fan of Mukul Deva's Salim series.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:37   #634
BHPian

Just finished Dongri to Dubai, essentially the history of the Mumbai underworld to date. A good read and qite interesting. There are a whole lot of people spoken about, so it does get confusing at times. A must read for people who would like a peek at the history of Mumbai to some extent as well.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:51   #635
Team-BHP Support

Just finished reading Jesse Ventura's book.

Amazon.com: Don't Start the Revolution Without Me! (9781602397163): Jesse Ventura, Dick Russell: Books

Always admired his views on TV when he was the Governor, and later on Youtube. As a keen follower of US politics, I really enjoyed this book.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:52   #636
BHPian

Finished "Immortals of Meluha" & "Secret of Nagas" part of a trilogy of books on Shiva. Its a take on Shiva's life as a mortal and his transformation into "THE ONE".
Very interesting read esp the first one !!
Old 26th July 2012, 18:55   #637
BHPian

More than a decade after i watched the movie, i've started reading 'The Fight club'. The prose at times is just utterly brilliant but i felt like the movie screenplay has pretty much reproduced the book in it's entirety (i mean in terms of the dialogues). I'm going to watch the movie again after i finish it

You wake up at SeaTac.
Old 26th July 2012, 19:12   #638
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Finished "Immortals of Meluha" & "Secret of Nagas" part of a trilogy of books on Shiva. Its a take on Shiva's life as a mortal and his transformation into "THE ONE".
Great Read Indeed!! Awaiting the last part desperately. The last one read by me was "Growing up Bin Laden" A sneak peak into Osama's life, based on the account provided by his first wife and his 4th born son.

Amazing read, just goes on to show how powerful a human brain is !!
Old 26th July 2012, 21:11   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Interesting read indeed. I found the second part more interesting though. With the twists and the way characters are connected. Waiting for the third part now.

Also, completed Dork, by Sidin Vadukut. Very humorous read. Enjoyed it fully, have to start reading the sequel now.

Last edited by safari_lover : 26th July 2012 at 21:13.
Old 27th July 2012, 01:58   #640
BHPian

I also completed the Shiva books 1 & 2, and to be really honest I was disappointed.

I found the build up a little hollow, and the language cheap to say the least. The Indian Civilization had one of the best languages ever, one should not write 'bout that era with words like "Sh**" and others. It's a great concept, no doubt; the story is gripping, but I wish (and I really do) that someone perhaps more experienced and 'better' at historical work had come up with this.

Am now awaiting the delivery of 'Grave Mercy' by Robin LaFevers to put on my reading glasses again!
Old 12th August 2012, 12:07   #641
BANNED

Not really a reading books post but book related.

I have book which is rather old - it's a paperback. The cover and the first few pages have detached from the rest of the book. The hinge side corners of the book are so decayed and thin that glue just doesn't stick. What's a good way to stick the cover and couple of pages? I don't want to bind the book.
Old 13th August 2012, 15:11   #642
Senior - BHPian

I had gone home for a short vacation so had ordered Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson to read at home. It was a bit of a drag in the first few pages but I plodded on and now, it is going on at breakneck speed. So much so I am back in BLR and do not want to continue A Dance With Dragons (George R.R. Martin) until this book is over. Very interesting read!

On an OT - are any of you on goodreads.com? I've just signed up and like the idea of sharing bookshelves virtually online with your friends and you get some great book recommendations too.
Old 25th August 2012, 07:55   #643

I recently read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and the sentimental guy that I am, I cried.

A story told by a dog Enzo (?Ferrari). Enzo knows he is different. Like other dogs, he thinks you can't beat chasing birds and squirrels once in a while -- but, at the same time, he is almost human.

Thru listening to the words of his master, a racing car driver, Enzo has gained a real insight into the complex world of people. What he sees is that life, like racing isn't simply about going fast.

This extraordinary novel has captured hearts and minds and is a publishing phenomenon.

Tears and smiles
Rom
Old 25th August 2012, 08:10   #644

"The Mountain between Us" by Charles Martin
is about two homesick strangers, a surgeon and a journalist, stranded in Salt Lake City airport because of extreme incoming weather -- snow, ice, single-digit temperatures and wind chills in the negatives. They jump at the chance of outrunning the storm when a pilot offers them a flight home in his Cessna. But then things go very wrong; the pilot dies even before the plane hits the ground, leaving behind him the co-pilot, his dog. A fight for survival -- in the High Uintas Wilderness, the largest east-to-west mountain range in North America.

Wow! Reminds me of a book I read decades back. It was called The Long March: I will google and share about it here.

Smiles & Love
Rom
Old 26th August 2012, 18:31   #645
Team-BHP Support

I know cricket draws a lot of passion and separate thread runs on it.

Any one for Neville Cardus ?
During my early years, I also got up to read books by Gavaskar.
Sunny Days and Idols.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks