Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 267 62.53%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.12%
Apple iPad 9 2.11%
Android Tablet 13 3.04%
B&B Nook 5 1.17%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.45%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.17%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 21:45   #556
JVH
Senior - BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
How about Christopher Reich ? I have read a few of his books, and you would find them nice (if not unputdownable), if you like the genre.

When I was younger, in my teens , I used to enjoy the works of A.J.Quinnell, like a lot. This was before the famous Man on Fire came out. Ofcourse, the book was better than the movie.
Thanks!

I briefly went through some of their works online and looks interesting. Definitely my kind
Old 30th December 2011, 16:08   #557
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Millennium Trilogy, (specifically for "The Girl with Dragon Tattoo) if I've already watched the movie then how will I find the book? Considering one will know the story after watching the movie? I saw the book with 30% discount at Crossword yesterday but I already have the movie with me, although I've not watched the movie yet (but I might just watch it this weekend).
Old 30th December 2011, 23:46   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Regarding the Millennium Trilogy, (specifically for "The Girl with Dragon Tattoo) if I've already watched the movie then how will I find the book? Considering one will know the story after watching the movie? I saw the book with 30% discount at Crossword yesterday but I already have the movie with me, although I've not watched the movie yet (but I might just watch it this weekend).
The books will have a more lot depth in the story, Even if you have seen the Godfather or the Bourne Series the books are a lot more entertaining.

MP
Old 31st December 2011, 00:27   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Regarding the Millennium Trilogy, (specifically for "The Girl with Dragon Tattoo) if I've already watched the movie then how will I find the book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
The books will have a more lot depth in the story, Even if you have seen the Godfather or the Bourne Series the books are a lot more entertaining.
Few months back, I ended up buying their audio books (at audible). At least for the daily commute to the office, they really kept my interest.
At that time I did not know about what these series were. I was also not aware that there are movies based on these books.

But yes, I would prefer books (text/audio versions).
Old 31st December 2011, 23:03   #560
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, well, you guys are right about the books having more depth and interesting. But what I wanted to know if the movie is same (or true to the book) as the book or it's like Bourne Series where the movie was kinda different then the actual story. I heard really good things about the movies (btw they are Swedish movies not English) and so thought of watching them.
BTW, bought The Hobbit yesterday from Crossword. Will be the next book that I'll be reading. About to finish Chanakya's Chants.
Old 1st January 2012, 01:48   #561
BHPian

Yes its usually observed that books are more gripping and interesting that their adopted movies. Although Godfather movie is my all time classic favorite, I would prefer reading it than watching.
Sherlock Holmes has been my favorite reads. Then its John Grisham
I wish they would make movies on more John Grisham's books.
Has anybody read "God's Debris" , I would recommend it to everyone who want a good brain churning read.
I have recently completed Street lawyer by John Grisham.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:02   #562
BHPian

i too like grisham - not every book,though. there was a bit starting trouble since i hate everything connected with court,law and lawyers. but his books luckly are from a different angle. the one i read twice was ,The Testament'.

my all time favourite authours are robert ludlum,ken follet, jeffrey archer and frederick forsyth.

the two great books i find are harper lee's 'to kill a mockingbird' and umberto eco's 'the name of the rose'. the name of the rose was a thoroughly enjoyable read and it hooked me to those medieval historical thrillers.

another two i liked are 'shipping news' by annie proulx and 'the book thief' by markus zusack.

reading steve berry now. he builds up some great plot but in the end leaves much to be desired. someway, he ends up having a half cooked and baked one. but cant resist the temptation to read either since mostly the story premises and historical settings are just great. .
Old 14th January 2012, 19:40   #563
Team-BHP Support

Most of you must have seen R K Laxman cartoons every day on the daily newspapers.
I would recommend his books as well. Not many he has written I think but they make a good read.

1. Tunnel of Time
2. Collected Writings

Would recommend the second one.
Old 15th January 2012, 19:08   #564
Team-BHP Support

I am reading the song of ice and fire series. After a long time I read a fat book in this genre which could hold my attention.
Though I have a complaint(common to fantasy genre), that there are too many characters, and all of them are important to some extent. The series extendeds over 6 books, or close to 5000 pages, and in small print.
Old 24th January 2012, 13:38   #565
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And the wait will finally end. After 9 years, the final book of the series will be released in March. Her earlier books have sold 45 million copies. She took 31 years to write a 6 book series.

Final book in Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series will be published in 2011 | OregonLive.com
I read the first 2 in the series last week. Am on my way to the 3rd one - The Mammoth Hunters. Fascinating series so far. Liked the 1st one better than the 2nd because of the amazing contrast between Ayla and the Clan and the attention to detail. Had never read anything before like that. The 2nd one, Valley of Horses was equally great specially Ayla's stay in the valley with Whineey and Baby. I could literally imagine the rides and the valley when she had the first ride with Whineey and then Baby. I doubt if any director can capture these kind details in a movie. I'll be glad to be proven wrong. 'The Others' first rites and the open romance was surprising to me. Were the Cro-Magnons so advanved and open 30,000 years ago? I found myself skipping through the Sheramudoi and then jumping to Ayla's tales.

Am not sure if the Clan re-appear in the next set of tales. And Durc?

P.S - Reading these books is like undergoing courses in Anthropology, Archeology, Herbs, medicine, hunting, psychology and am sure a whole lot of things
Old 25th January 2012, 10:43   #566
BHPian

Read the second of the millennium trilogy "The girl who played with fire". This was much better than the 1st part. It's one of those books you can't put down till you finish it. This has lot more intrigue. Definitely a recommend read. But do read the 1st part as both are related and a continuation of the story.

MP
Old 26th January 2012, 04:31   #567
BHPian

Currently reading the 'The art of choosing ' by Sheena Iyengar, an interesting take on choices we make and how we feel about it later ...nice recommended reading for non -fiction lovers
Old 27th January 2012, 09:52   #568
BHPian

The following are my 5 favorites:

(A) HMS Ulysses by Alistair Maclean
(B) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
(C) The Foundation Series of Isaac Asimov
(D) Ultimatum by Matthew Glass
(E) Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton

Currently reading Devil in Pinstripes by Ravi Subramaniam

Regards
Vijay
Old 28th January 2012, 02:59   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am reading the song of ice and fire series. After a long time I read a fat book in this genre which could hold my attention.
Though I have a complaint(common to fantasy genre), that there are too many characters, and all of them are important to some extent. The series extendeds over 6 books, or close to 5000 pages, and in small print.
I detest G R R Martin for a different reason. He develops the characters and then mercilessly kills them off. I read till Book 4 and then just got fed up with his style. Also for a fantasy novel, there is very little sword or sorcery involved. I hear the HBO mini series on these books is great. Do check them out if you enjoy the series.

In contrast my favourite Robert Jordan doesn't kill anyone, and anyone killed, comes back in a different avatar.
Old 30th January 2012, 00:31   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I detest G R R Martin for a different reason. He develops the characters and then mercilessly kills them off. I read till Book 4 and then just got fed up with his style. Also for a fantasy novel, there is very little sword or sorcery involved. I hear the HBO mini series on these books is great. Do check them out if you enjoy the series.

In contrast my favourite Robert Jordan doesn't kill anyone, and anyone killed, comes back in a different avatar.
I somewhat agree with you. One character he killed in the last book was one of my favorites.
BTW, I watched the game of thrones season 1. Really well made.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks