Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I read most my books in...
Paper book format 267 62.53%
Amazon Kindle 103 24.12%
Apple iPad 9 2.11%
Android Tablet 13 3.04%
B&B Nook 5 1.17%
Sony eBook Reader 0 0%
Smartphone 19 4.45%
Others (mention in post) 6 1.41%
Kobo eReader 5 1.17%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 15:21   #541
BHPian

re: The Book Thread (Fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Just finished "The Green Mile" by Stephen King. Have watched the movie many times but finally got down to reading the book. Not his usual horror writing but a touching story about a black convict with a "healing" touch waiting on death row.

Nice read.
Read this book a little while back and its a really good read. Saw the movie after reading the book and liked it too, Tom Hanks in particular.

Currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and its really fantastic up till now.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:31   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
Read this book a little while back and its a really good read. Saw the movie after reading the book and liked it too, Tom Hanks in particular.

Currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, and its really fantastic up till now.
Yup, gotta agree that the movie was spot on. Rarely like movies made based on books. But really great acting by Tom Hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan.
Old 26th December 2011, 16:38   #543
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^ then you should have listed only one particular book from the Potter series too
Oops, guilty as charged. But I look at it more as one continuous story, just broken down into multiple books. Whereas with Dickens (or others), all the novels are different.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:48   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Just finished the first two parts of a series by an Indian Author, Amish. Both are good and worth reading. This is the Shiva trilogy. Eagerly waiting for the third book.
I kind of liked the first book just because the fact that he has told the mythical stories in a different way. Somehow the second book become just too predictable and I've now lost interest in the third.

Quote:
Another Indian author, Ashwin Sanghi has written this book called Chanakyas Chant. Extremely good book and blends the past and the present very well. Worth a read as well.
Currently reading this book. I like the part of Chanakya's story much more riveting (although I already read that part of history) than the present age Chanakya's story. The tricks that Gangasagar plays seems too easy to play and too easily he gets thru his games/plots, even though the current political scenario is not so simple. I'm only past halfway of the book and so would hold on my comment till I complete it.
Old 27th December 2011, 14:43   #545
BHPian

Continuing my recent reading habits of trash sci/fi fantasy and hi-quality mountaineering/trekking, I came this book The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiesen in Pokhara, Nepal. It is ostensibly about a trek into the Dolpo region of Nepal in search of the elusive snow leopard, and research about the relationship between Himalayan Bharal and sheep. And actually the book is about the high passes, natural beauty of an inaccessible part of Nepal, which leads on to Tibet; and a search of a man for some peace within himself. Much in the nature of Robert Pirsing's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I very much recommend this book.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:47   #546
BHPian

I am reading 'The City of Djinns' by William Dalrymple. It is a book about Delhi and its history. Highly recommended for people interested in Indian history!
Old 27th December 2011, 16:53   #547
BHPian

Haven't gone through all the pages here to be honest, so don't know if any one has already mentioned this. But my all time favorite book has to be Shantaram. Even today I can pick that book and start reading from any page. Considering that a good portion of the book is based on real life incidents, reading this book is one heck of an experience. And If the incidents mentioned are not extraordinary enough, the philosophical portions are simply brilliant, and one is left wondering as to how such a sensitive, intelligent and insightful person ended up leading a life of crime and violence.

Would love to hear what others feel about the book, or if they have any trivia to share on the man himself. I did hear that Russel Crowe was terribly interested in being a part of the movie being planned on this book. The last I knew, Johny Depp was signed on to play Lin, and Amitabh for Khaled. Dunno if it's even hit the floors or not.
Old 27th December 2011, 17:11   #548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Currently reading an Ian Rankin book (Inspector Rebus series) , this one is a collection of short stories in the same vein as his usual novels.
Any particular recommendation ?

Have added Chanakya's Chant to my to-read list. So now looking for one more so that I can avail free shipping from Flipkart
Old 27th December 2011, 17:23   #549
JVH
Senior - BHPian

After a long gap(about 3 yrs), I'm planning to read fiction again. The likes of Grisham, Forsyth, Wilbur Smith, Ayn Rand, Hailey, Richard Bach, Stephen Cook, Michael Crichton interested me long back. In between happened to read Baldacci and Dan Brown too. Liked Baldacci.

Looking for pointers on reading similar stuff. Any particular author?

TIA!
Old 27th December 2011, 17:33   #550
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading "Emperor of all the maladies" by Dr. Mukherjee.
The first half is exciting and absolutely engrossing. The history of cancer is fascinating. As were the remedies tried. Too many new things to be learnt about this age old malady.
However in the second half it becomes too technical and mathematical and loses the reader's interest.

And yes it can make one paranoid too. I went for a checkup on the high stomach acidity I was suffering since many many years. Was diagnosed as having stomach infection and now on some real hard antibiotics.

Last edited by download2live : 27th December 2011 at 17:35.
Old 27th December 2011, 17:50   #551
Senior - BHPian

Have anyone here have read "The Hobbit" by Tolkien? I guess many must have read this book? Planning to buy this book and I hope being an LOTR fan (both movie and the book) this will also be a great read. Please suggest.
Also, any discount sale is going on in any of the Bangalore book stores? Otherwise I'll probably order from Flipkart.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:23   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Have anyone here have read "The Hobbit" by Tolkien? I guess many must have read this book? Planning to buy this book and I hope being an LOTR fan (both movie and the book) this will also be a great read. Please suggest.
Also, any discount sale is going on in any of the Bangalore book stores? Otherwise I'll probably order from Flipkart.
Good book. The prequel to LOTR.
I did not know of this thread. Just saw this and subscribed.

I read Chanakya's chant a few days back. I also liked the older story better than the current one. I wonder if people 2300 years ago found the real Chanakya's story so glib / improbable.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 22:45   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

Looking for pointers on reading similar stuff. Any particular author?

TIA!
How about Christopher Reich ? I have read a few of his books, and you would find them nice (if not unputdownable), if you like the genre.

When I was younger, in my teens , I used to enjoy the works of A.J.Quinnell, like a lot. This was before the famous Man on Fire came out. Ofcourse, the book was better than the movie.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 15:59   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I kind of liked the first book just because the fact that he has told the mythical stories in a different way. Somehow the second book become just too predictable and I've now lost interest in the third.

Currently reading this book. I like the part of Chanakya's story much more riveting (although I already read that part of history) than the present age Chanakya's story. The tricks that Gangasagar plays seems too easy to play and too easily he gets thru his games/plots, even though the current political scenario is not so simple. I'm only past halfway of the book and so would hold on my comment till I complete it.
Well, the second book was a bit of a let down compared to the first, but still a decent one time read.

On Chanakyas Chant, I really liked it, although as you rightly mentioned, some of the things Gangasagar does may not be possible in today's world, but still it was a good read.
Old 28th December 2011, 16:20   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Any particular recommendation ?
Try any really..plots are decent, I read it mainly for the witty dialogue, police procedural and descriptions of Scottish lifestyle and locations. If I had to pick one "The Falls "
Abhay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks