Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2024, 11:20   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

On the other side, most of these scammers would have been forced to entrap individuals

https://www.business-standard.com/in...0700870_1.html

Unimaginable plight.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 10:00   #392
BHPian

Got the Telecom-department-number-deactivation call today morning. These guys are early risers .

I prolonged it for 6.29 minutes till she cut it off with a "ghar se uta lenge (we will pick you up from home)" threat. This is my personal best. My previous best was 4.45 minutes with the 'Customs department'.
DigitalOne is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 20:37   #393
BHPian

Latest in our area in Pune which is close to a miltary base.
" Sir Iam XYZ speaking, and we have 25 Miltary Soldiers for Scaling (Teeth Cleaning) Dental treatment. Our Miltary Dental Department shared your reference. We need appointment ASAP as they are going to the frontline. Please share your QR Code. We will transfer treatment charges , but please transfer only INR 1 into our miltary QR code to confirm your identity. This is requirement by Govt. of India Defence Department"
My Staff who attended the call, was cautioned about this calmly replied "All appointments are full for the next couple of months. Please try again later"
Call disconnected.
Very ingenious fraud.
Lots of Dentists in our area received similar calls, and this was cautioned in our Whatsapp group.

Last edited by Happysmiles : 9th August 2024 at 20:44. Reason: addition
Happysmiles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 00:15   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

I received an automated call mentioning the credit card I use (bank & name of the card).
It says I have spent Rs 43,400 on my card, so if I have done the transaction I should press 1 if not I should press 2 and to speak to the customer care executive press 9!
For a second I got confused, I paused and thought at least I should have received an OTP or an sms which I didn't.
So I decided to disconnect the call and check my credit card unbilled transactions from the app and all my bank SMS first. If there is a transaction I will call customer care and do the needful. Once I checked the details there were no transactions and it was clear that it was a fraud call!

Last edited by Samba : 11th August 2024 at 00:18.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 09:41   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I received an automated call mentioning the credit card I use (bank & name of the card).
...... Once I checked the details there were no transactions and it was clear that it was a fraud call!
I routinely get genuine automated calls from ICICI Bank for high value transactions, including NEFT transfers. It is possible that it was a fraud call, but it is also possible that it is a technical bug i.e somebody else was supposed to receive that call.
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 10:06   #396
BHPian

Came across this in YouTube Shorts. Might give it a try for the really scammy ones.

rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 19:46   #397
Senior - BHPian

Latest Update from TRAI:

1.If any entity is found making spam calls, all the Telecom Resources of the entity shall be disconnected and blacklisted by all Telecom Operators for upto 2 years.

2.With effect from 1st September 2024, NO message, containing URLs/APKs that are not whitelisted, shall be allowed to be delivered.

https://x.com/DoT_India/status/1822557413808976233

Name:  Screenshot 88.png
Views: 135
Size:  250.6 KB

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 11th August 2024 at 19:48.
mukeshgoel is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 17:02   #398
BHPian

When I have time to entertain myself, I take the call and before they get to say anything, I say things like "St Peter's Funeral Service, how can I help you?" or "Pushpa Beauty parlour, may I know who is calling?" and things like that. Otherwise, I am usually not in the mood and just ignore and then block them on my phone. Just today I got a (silent) notification that I got 16 calls from my blocked numbers
gtonsing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 00:20   #399

The traffic that blocks our phones!
Funnily enough I seem to get more spam calls than genuine ones! I never disconnect and try to thoroughly waste their time until they hang up themselves. Enough and more times I call them back from a friend's phone just for laughs and waste some more of their time (what else should a college guy do with his abundant free time)

However the one call that annoys me the most is the import scam wherein the caller says a parcel from another country has been stopped by customs in XYZ Indian airport and requires a fee of Rs 500 to be allowed into the country.
I never fail to bombard them with expletives and do the same with as many friends' phones that I gain access to

Cheers
SB
splendor blende is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 02:20   #400
BHPian

Today I got a call from DTDC to confirm a courier received from Noida to Mumbai

They asked me to tip the delivery boy using a link - next level fraud. Never did I receive a parcel, nor do I need to tip.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 16:36   #401
Oxy
BHPian

I had purchased a "Flipkart Smartbuy" ceiling fan from Flipkart last week.

Today I get a call claiming to be from Flipkart. The lady at the other end asked me how the fan is working. Then she sends across an OTP to my phone and asks me to share it so that she can register the warranty.

I got spooked and told her that I am not sharing any OTP over the phone. She said she'll cancel it from her end before disconnecting the call.

Is this normal?

EDIT: The OTP is indeed from Flipkart, but it is for logging into my Flipkart account.

Last edited by Oxy : 27th August 2024 at 16:39.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 12:05   #402
BHPian

Just received a fake call from so called HDFC Credit Card customer care. It was an IVR message stating that "Your HDFC Regalia Credit Card has been used for a transaction of Rs 43,000" - press 1 to confirm or press 9 to talk to a customer care executive. Since I wasn't very busy, decided to have some fun.

Connected to customer care and one guy called "Sunny Yadav" answered my call. My first question was, why am I getting this call. His reply was like - we just want to confirm this transaction and he asked me for my details. I told him "Sunny you have my details in front of your system, why don't you confirm it and I'll validate it". He was like no sir not possible, as a customer you need to verify. Also asked him which branch he is calling and no proper answer. Finally gave him a mouthful and disconnected.

The first red flag here was that I don't even own a single credit card forget a Regalia card (I probably won't even qualify for one". Second the number - 92344 81317 - truecaller says this number is from Bihar and the email ID mentioned in this number is deepu620120@gmail.com

So please be aware
Satish Pari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 10:49   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
EDIT: The OTP is indeed from Flipkart, but it is for logging into my Flipkart account.
There you go, the bold part is screaming scam.
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 11:13   #404
BHPian

So, I was bored and did this before blocking the number.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_20240908_122724_whatsapp.jpg
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 16:44   #405
BHPian

(slightly)
The other day I got a call from +7 (829x) xxx-xx. +7 is the country code for Russia and I don't know anybody there, so I obviously did not answer it.
I let it ring out and then I received an SMS from Ekart, "We tried reaching you. Please call our delivery executive at 7829xxxxxx"
It was the same number. And I actually did have a parcel out for delivery. For some reason, my phone thought the first digit of an Indian phone number was a country code and displayed it as such!
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks