Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2024, 09:06   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
WhatsApp has introduced screen sharing. It is going to be a magnet for scamsters to target senior citizens.
The second I saw this, I checked how much it shared.
It bloody shares EVERYTHING ! Even if Messages pops up your otp in notifications, the other person can see it.
First thing I did was get my parents on call, explain it, and essentially not click on that button that with anyone at all.

This is a pure crap update, and for sure a lot of educated folks are going to fall for scams.
Old 25th January 2024, 18:56   #347
BHPian

Quote:
WhatsApp has introduced screen sharing. It is going to be a magnet for scamsters to target senior citizens.
Thanks for sharing! Read this today morning and my mom recieved a video call on WhatsApp just a few minutes back! Thankfully I was nearby and didn't pick it up. I tried to video call him and now this guy won't pick up. Attaching the number and chat below. Please be aware!

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-whatsapp-image-20240125-6.45.24-pm.jpeg

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-whatsapp-image-20240125-6.54.24-pm.jpeg

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-whatsapp-image-20240125-6.54.25-pm.jpeg
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 13:30   #348
BHPian

I keep getting calls from some automated voice that says it's an HR representative from some QIOU-something company, about a job opportunity. Immediately cut and blocked the calls.

While the numbers seem to vary, here are two numbers from which I got the same call today:
+91-9092992568
+91-9373683912
Old 12th April 2024, 13:33   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
I keep getting calls from some automated voice that says it's an HR representative from some QIOU-something company, about a job opportunity. Immediately cut and blocked the calls.

While the numbers seem to vary, here are two numbers from which I got the same call today:
+91-9092992568
+91-9373683912
Same story here. Says 'hello' twice at the beginning of the conversation acting like a human at the other end who is not able to hear you properly at the first instance.
Old 29th April 2024, 21:26   #350
BHPian

I had to spend the whole day today at a hospital attending to a relative. To kill the boredom, I picked up every scam/fake/telemarketing call.

Sorely disappointed that "FedEx" didn't consider me worthy enough to call .
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 14:31   #351
BHPian

Quote:
<snip>To kill the boredom, I picked up every scam/fake/telemarketing call.

Sorely disappointed that "FedEx" didn't consider me worthy enough to call .
To make things interesting, I also plan to:

* Share the contact number(s) of other spam-callers (from blocked list/truecaller) to every new spam caller, saying my number changed, this is the new one

* Give my phone to neighbour's naughty but tech-savvy boy aged 8, asking the spam-caller to talk to my assistant - all my finances go thru him! If he approves, I approve!

* Keep the spammer on call, check TC from other phone, try to get their whereabouts & play fool along - act like I believe everything they say, waste their time & finally tell them to eff off!

* One of the most irritating things for me is when a random stranger calls & first question is "Saar, how are you". Tell them my problems in life & ask for suggestions ;-)

Only problem is, how to find free time to play this dumb game

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 2nd May 2024 at 14:35.
KrisTvpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 08:48   #352
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Now this beats the scamming level hands down. It can’t get hilarious than this.

DOT’s warning message !
Attached Thumbnails
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_7741.jpeg  

NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 09:07   #353
BHPian

Received an IVR call this AM purportedly from Telecom department informing about "All your numbers getting deactivated in 2 hours". Feeling certain that this is a scam, i disconnected. Had I stayed on, I am sure there would be a scammer in person pretending to be a telecom official at the end of IVR message. A Google search later, DoT has indeed warned about this scam to steal personal information.
Old 6th May 2024, 02:09   #354
BHPian

Beware new car owners. I was amazed how I narrowly escaped this new scam. Somehow my purchase of new ScorpioN- was known to these scammers (god knows how). So it goes like this.

I get a call from a unknown number, Truecaller does not flag it as spam so being in sales, I answer and a female voice goes with general greetings & she starts congratulating for the new purchase and how Mahindra has tied up with them for granting owners free vacation anywhere in India for 2N/3D & a PVR Movie voucher.

Having owned an XUV500 prior to this I remember Mahindra giving Club Mahindra vouchers but this starts to sound fishy the moment the operator starts saying that I need to visit them at Four Points hotel and it has to be done today itself. Then she goes on to ask my name & its all alarm bells. I ask her stating Mahindra should've shared the info & she goes on making up reasons and I give her proxy name. Then she asks what time I can come and I bluff to get more info out. She then tells me that her senior would contact me with coupon code & location and to attend his call.

30 minutes later, the phone rings & its the senior, by name “Rahul” He starts the sales pitch saying its absolutely free & that I don't need to pay a penny. So being in Sales, I play my part as the innocent customer & I agree on the appointment time and ask him for the coupon code & address. He then says he will share the details on WhatsApp and not by email by stating server issues & I accept that as well.

He then says that it might take 45 minutes as they need to print vouchers and asked if its ok for us to wait to which I agreed. Few minutes later I get this message where there is no mention of my purchase and the message states I have won luxury gift voucher from “CLUB RESORTO”. This was the last confirmation I needed; when I checked about this with my friends in the hospitality industry, they confirmed that they are a very unethical operator who have agents moving very efficiently across metros and force people visiting them to buy their packages worth lakhs and nothing in return.

I did not visit them and when the sales guy called back, got an earful from me to which he just hung up. So next time you hear the word “CLUB RESORTO”, BEWARE BHPians.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th May 2024 at 10:44. Reason: Post formatting
DieselWanderer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 00:47   #355
BHPian

I am not sure if my query really qualifies to be in this thread. Of late (since about 10 days) i am getting emails from SBI Cards to verify my personal email for a new credit card. I have never applied for one so this is clearly someone else doing it.

At the same time, i am also getting email from CIBIL saying Credit Enquiry was made by SBI Card and enquiry purpose was 'Credit Card'.

If it was just credit card query, i would have just ignored it. But since this involves CIBIL and my credit score, i am a bit worried now.

The origins of both emails looks legit. The SBI request came from 'no-reply@sbicard.com' and CIBIL email came from '
noreply@cibilenqalert.transunion.com'. The SBI mail has a link to click to confirm my personal email. Obviously i haven't clicked on the link but wanted to understand if others have come across this also?

What is the best course of action for me? Talk to SBI Card? How do i 'prove' that i haven't applied for a credit card?

Edit: I had applied for SBI home loan more than a year back. Could they be using my details from that application to fill their quota?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 7th May 2024 at 00:54.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 07:38   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am not sure if my query really qualifies to be in this thread. Of late (since about 10 days) i am getting emails from SBI Cards to verify my personal email for a new credit card. I have never applied for one so this is clearly someone else doing it.
It most likely is a simple case of data entry mistake. Someone with a similar sounding name and email id as yours might have applied for the card, and mistake happened when email id was typed into their system. It happens very frequently with me. I wouldn't be worried.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 11:31   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post

At the same time, i am also getting email from CIBIL saying Credit Enquiry was made by SBI Card and enquiry purpose was 'Credit Card'.

If it was just credit card query, i would have just ignored it. But since this involves CIBIL and my credit score, i am a bit worried now.
I am in a somewhat similar predicament as you. Yesterday, I received a call from a mobile number +91 6364871630 where the caller said I have been selected for a pre-approved offer a Lifetime Free Credit Card from IndusInd bank with a 2 lakh credit limit. I said I was not interested and cut the call. On checking, True Caller reported this mobile number as a Scam.

Hardly a minute later, I get an SMS from TM-INDUSB stating
Quote:
Your Credit Card Application ID XXXXXX does not match the Bank's eligibility criteria and is rejected for processing - IndusInd Bank. (I have blanked out the Application number)
Screenshot of the SMS:
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_20240507112849.png

I had never applied for a Credit Card with IndusInd bank ever nor did I ever receive any communication regarding this application number. Today, I saw a credit card enquiry from IndusInd bank on my CIBIL report.

I do not how how did they manage to make a credit card application in my name without my consent, knowledge and KYC documents. The way I see it, there being credit card an application number, someone used my KYC documents for that application without my consent, as without them, the application no. will not be generated. I assume the application was done offline by some rogue credit card agent to meet their targets, as a digital application on the website would require an Aadhar OTP.

Quoting the application no. and details of the call, I had complained to IndusInd bank by e-mail asking for details of the application, but they have not responded so far.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th May 2024 at 11:36.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 01:11   #358
BHPian

I received a call from +96659204295 today. As soon as I tapped the receive button, the call got disconnected. Upon dialling back, it said the number does not exist.

I shouldn't have tried to receive it or dial it back, but that is what I did.
Have no idea what it was about. I hope not to get hacked in some manner or the other, because such techniques are pretty advanced.

+966 is Saudi code and they have 9 digit numbers. The call I got from seems to be from Saudi but the digits are only 8.
Fuldagap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 09:16   #359
BHPian

I no longer pick up unknown numbers , where I get at least one call per day, from

- Ahmedabad (real estate spam)
- indore (stock market spam "aur sir aapki trading kaisi chal rahi hai")
- Andhra (political party call centre)

Other than this the usual suspects such as 'your parcel is stuck' (FedEx scam) and 'hi how are you' on WhatsApp are about once a week.

In the post-truecaller pecking order, the credit card and Bajaj finance callers are so low, I'm surprised those firms have not fired these teams and found a better way to sell their products.
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 10:36   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Quoting the application no. and details of the call, I had complained to IndusInd bank by e-mail asking for details of the application, but they have not responded so far.
They finally responded after I threatened to escalate the fraud complaint to RBI. They investigated the matter internally and apparently one of their credit card agents went rogue and did this, who has been dismissed from the job.

The lack of ethics and the willingness to commit a near fraud just to meet business targets is just insane. The senior bank management is equally responsible for this. These lower rank bankers/agents are under so much pressure to meet targets and thereby save their jobs - one actually feels pity for them. This is why now I don't shout at these credit card offer callers anymore and politely say - Not interested, block the number and report the number to my mobile service provider for violation of DND service. If True Caller flags the incoming call as spam, I don't answer at all.

We come across so many videos of these AGM/DGM level officers in banks blackmailing and threatening other lower rank officers. The recent one was with Canara Bank - one of the most useless PSU banks in the country! You have to wonder what kind of degenerates these fellows are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
I received a call from +96659204295 today. As soon as I tapped the receive button, the call got disconnected. Upon dialling back, it said the number does not exist.

These days the technology has advanced so much that numbers get cloned, calls are made through fake numbers using PC or mobile software. One has to be very careful. I know a case of a banker who "claimed" that his phone got hacked after receiving a whatsapp call from an unknown foreign number. Soon after, someone started sending messages using his number on "official" bank whatsapp groups from another phone. This guy was helpless to stop those messages as he himself was seeing his number being used to send those messages on his own phone. His number had to be deleted from that group to stop the hacker's messages in that group. Further, he had to buy a new sim and get his own (hacked) number blocked. I don't know how far this is true or if it is even possible.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 13th May 2024 at 10:54. Reason: Merged back to back posts as requested
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks