Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 11:01   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

The TRAI DND app doesn’t seem to be working for iOS anymore. Reporting was very easy through that. I’m not sure how long that isn’t working, I’ve seen an increased number of calls in the past 7-8 days ever since i lost ability to report calls thru thr trai DND app.
Old 12th February 2023, 11:19   #302
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The TRAI DND app doesn’t seem to be working for iOS anymore. Reporting was very easy through that. I’m not sure how long that isn’t working, I’ve seen an increased number of calls in the past 7-8 days ever since i lost ability to report calls thru thr trai DND app.
It's not working for android too for the past 2+ weeks at least. In the app store reviews, saw many comments about the app not working and yet no communication from the developer in resolving it. It was an effective app and sad to see it get neglected like this.
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 07:57   #303
BHPian

Received the following message from the number 77250 19045

*"Dear user your ICICI Bank Account will be blocked 9:30 Pm Today please update your PAN CARD immediately Open ICICI Bank apk"*

followed by an attachment with suffix .apk

Did not open the attachment and blocked the number.
Surprisingly the number has icici bank logo as DP.

Just curious to know what is .apk files.
Old 17th February 2023, 08:11   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post

*"Dear user your ICICI Bank Account will be blocked 9:30 Pm Today please update your PAN CARD immediately Open ICICI Bank apk"*

.apk files are android application installable files. Be very careful and don't accept any .apk file from unknown sources
Everlearner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 08:28   #305
BHPian

Quote:

these are installation files that once installed will probably take over the phone and install a malware and let the creator of the app take control of the phone. Sad to see the extent that crooks will take to fool people and then rob them.
Old 17th February 2023, 10:39   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Well, there is no surprise here. The logo is available in public domain and anyone can use it for illegal activities. These days since organizations are contacting customers over WhatsApp via business accounts, fraudsters can impersonate as any business account and unsuspecting customers can fall prey. Seems to be the latest idea for scams.
Old 21st February 2023, 20:22   #307
BHPian

A very good video from YouTube channel Gyan Therapy explaining a scam going on through YouTube adverts.
Old 28th February 2023, 11:44   #308
BHPian

Something interesting happened yesterday.
Apprehensive about Citibank migrating the accounts to Axis, I moved entire saving account corpus to HDFC savings account.

And since yesterday, I have received more than a dozen SMSs from different numbers saying "You HDFC Netbanking will CLOSED today if PAN not updated. Click this link to update" with spelling and grammatical mistakes abound.

How do these scammers know if an account is flush with cash? Tipped from bank folks?
What else could it be?
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:03   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
And since yesterday, I have received more than a dozen SMSs from different numbers saying "You HDFC Netbanking will CLOSED today if PAN not updated. Click this link to update" with spelling and grammatical mistakes abound.

How do these scammers know if an account is flush with cash? Tipped from bank folks?
What else could it be?
I received the exact same message yesterday. I had an HDFC account in late 2000s and haven't used it since 2011 or so, so I can tell you its not based on the account balance.

Banks might generate reports of customers and share with loan/credit card agents for making calls and some agents might sell this outside to make some quick buck. The scammer will then buy this from the data broker and sends out these phishing SMS.
d.w.w. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:33   #310
BHPian

^^. Yes this message has been coming since the last weekend. As soon as i saw it. I was reminded of similar message from SBI from a few years back. I immediately marked it as spam and blocked it. I keep a very small amount in HDFC. So it is not based on balance for sure. Quite a lot of HDFC users also are getting it as i understand from my banker. They have shared this update in their website as well as Twitter.
Old 28th February 2023, 16:53   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
What else could it be?
I closed my HDFC bank account 5 years back. Yet I received this message. I never had an SBI account, yet I keep getting SBI Yono fake messages. These fake messages have nothing to do with your active bank accounts is or the balance. Even if 1 in a million falls for the scam, they hit a jackpot.
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 17:44   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The TRAI app crashes at the point where you have to enter the text to describe the call. The keyboard stops responding in the text field and doesn't allow you to continue. I found a Shortcut which I have been using since a long time and still works perfectly.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3a4...cb85404340aebe

It just composes an SMS and sends it. It should continue to work until TRAI decides to mess with the SMS reporting format.
car_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:31   #313
BHPian

How scam calls almost cost me a job opportunity:

I had filled up a form for a government job in Haryana state. The interview process was delayed. On 27th I got 2 calls from number starting with 0172. This is the number of Chandigarh/Panchkula region. I get robocalls from HDFC starting with this number. As I was used to rejecting the calls from 0172, I rejected the calls (I am not using Truecaller). Thankfully I also got a mail from the Harayana Public Service Commission regarding the interview and was able to attend the same.
Old 1st March 2023, 17:04   #314
BHPian

From what I believe, the grammatical mistakes in the fraud banking sms'es are intentional. They want to trap only those who are gullible enough to fall for these scams inspite of the wrong grammar. It wont be wrong to assume that those who are discerning enough to identify the wrong grammar won't fall for these kind of trap easily.

I once tried to open the fraud SBI links that they send along with their fraud sms. The webpage that I was directed to was a spitting image of the SBI offical net banking page . The only difference is that in addition to the ID and password field, there was an additional field for entering your phone number. Those who are not very familiar with internet banking might easily fall for these scams. Will try to see if I still have the sms so that I can post the screen shot of the fake website.

Nowadays, we have to exercise our judgement at every step when it involves internet transactions, whether financial or otherwise.

Regards.
Old 8th April 2023, 10:13   #315
Oxy
BHPian

Got a call from this number yesterday: 1244282109.

No country code, just this number appearing on my phone's screen while it was ringing.

Rejected the call as it looked fishy. Has anyone else experienced this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks