Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 15:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: To Do or Not To Do - Othello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
@Rohan iitr.
I am surprised you are staying in Bangalore with all these. I am further surprised that you have spent a decade with all these. You seem to be greatly disappointed for reasons unknown about Bangalore.

If what you have mentioned is absolutely true, i am not able to understand why Bangalore has become the IT capital of INDIA. You seem to be saying in other words, that so many MNCs who have invested in Bangalore are idiots.
Lets not turn this thread into a Bangalore localite vs outsider thread. It solves no purpose.

The thread was started by a member from Mumbai, who wanted information about Bangalore city. I have given my honest views about the city, perhaps from an outsider's point of view. As a localite, your views may be different from mine. I respect your views and expect the same in return.

I do not hate the city, but don't love it either. Every city has its own pros and cons. I am not the kind of person who would mention the pros in a passionate manner and conceal the cons.

Why so many IT companies came to Bangalore is altogether a separate subject. It didn't happen because of Bangalore's weather or pub culture. IT companies chose to open their offices in Bangalore because they were offered cheap land and tax benefits by the politicians.

The politicians in my native state did not offer cheap land and tax benefit to IT companies, hence the IT industry never took off in my state. But whenever the employment opportunities improve in my native state, I would be the first person to leave Bangalore. Not because I hate the city, but because I would prefer to live closer to my hometown.

Rohan
Old 24th December 2010, 16:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I fully agee on your this remark. I had to travel to Mangalore very urgently & finding no other solutions took a morning 0315 flight from Mumbai & landed at Bengaluru around 0530. This was my first ever visit to Bengaluru.

1st incident: I needed to go to a place called 'MAJESTIC', (as guided by my local friends) to take VOLVO bus to Magalore. So I opted for prepaid cab. As I took my receipt (Cost Rs 900/-) from 'carzonrent'. I was approached by their driver who guided me to his Indigo marina. As we approached the car another driver came talking on the phone & then an argument ensued between them. I stood watching in fascination as both argued & after good ten minutes the first driver gave up & politely asked me to go in 'PETROL'!! car (a Ford Ikon) Travel time in erarly morning hours - 50 minutes.

2nd Incident: I'm dropped at KSRTC bus stand & then I'm as good as I'm on Mars. I spoke to almost 50 people including drivers, conductors, some officials, police men, a couple who looked kind-a educated (if u wanna call them that) but NO ONE & believe me no one even uttered a word of english or hindi. Not even YES or NO.
All I wanted to know was first available VOLVO for Mangalore via some place called HASAN but to no avail. Then for my GOOD luck I find a Keralite gentleman, who was also looking for similar bus. I just followed him & after good fifteen minutes of him asking around, all we could manage was a 'RAJHAMSA' bus.
The ride from Bengaluru to Mangalore can be discribed in TWO words WORST NIGHTMARE.
Now can someone tell me what place is Mangaluru because I saw two VOLVO buses with such signs but when asked only got blank faces from all.
For all practical purposes, you were a tourist landing in a new city for the first time. It will be same for anyone visiting a new place without knowing the native language. I am sure if you stay here for 10 years, your opinion will change.

Regarding Majestic, yes, the KSRTC bus stand is a big mess. Even Kannadigas from other parts of Karnataka have to go through many struggles there, so you are no exception.

Mangaluru is the name for Mangalore in Kannada.

Quote:
So much for just travelling through Bengaluru. My genuine apologies to my Bangalore friends but I really pity the 'OUTSIDERS' there.

Raab Rakha,
Sonu
Well, you don't need to pity anyone. If somebody decides to remain 'outsiders' in a place where they decide to spend significant part of their life, then i would say they deserve it. Key is to adjust yourself to the place where you are staying.
Old 24th December 2010, 16:27   #48
BHPian

Chill Guyz.
Every place has it's own geographical/political/local advantages as well as disadvantages. And I completely agree with BulZire here that, the disadvantages or rather I should say shortfalls or obstacles that an individual experiences, should be handled personally. Everything in this world has it's two sides in my opinion.
In Mumbai, we have Amitabh, then here in south we have Rajni. In Mumbai, we have beaches and humidity/sweat, here in Bangalore we have chilled weather but no beaches.
In Mumbai we have Wada-Pav, here in Bangy we have Banana bhajji. The long-long one (Minnddd It)
In Mumbai we have stalls with nameplates (Maysoor Dosa), here we have stalls called (Mumbai Chat).
But, the good people are everywhere. In Mumbai as well as in Bangalore. What we give returns back to us.
You Guyz must have heard that story, where Lord Krishna asked Yudhisteer to go and search for a person who is the most drastic and bad in this world. And asked Duryodhan to search for the most truthful and humble person on this earth.
Both set out in opposite directions for their respective searches.
After few months both retured to Krishna.
Krishna asked Duryodhan about his search, Duryodhan said, he failed to locate a single person with a clean and truthful heart, so he returened empty handed.
Krishna asked Yudhisteer about his search. Yudhisteer said, that, he also failed the test as he couldn't locate a single person who is drastic and bad at heart.
So, the most important thing is within ourself. We have to give politenss to others to receive it.

(Note: Sorry for the philosophical touch here ). I tried to give a lot on M.G. Road but failed to get anything in return ).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:38.
Old 24th December 2010, 23:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Lets not turn this thread into a Bangalore localite vs outsider thread. It solves no purpose.
i have never made any such comments, i guess. You may go through my post properly though.

Quote:
I do not hate the city, but don't love it either.
Well the choice is entirely yours with your liking and dislikings. But a reader would like to see both being done in a dignified manner.

Quote:
I am not the kind of person who would mention the pros in a passionate manner and conceal the cons.
You seem to have totally got buried in passionately mentioning the cons that you totally forgot to mention the pros.

Quote:
Why so many IT companies came to Bangalore is altogether a separate subject. It didn't happen because of Bangalore's weather or pub culture.
I never said so, its you who seemed to have assumed so.

Quote:
IT companies chose to open their offices in Bangalore because they were offered cheap land and tax benefits by the politicians.
Well, one would not see anything bad in doing so. Tamilnadu govt did so, so many automobile manufacturers have made Chennai their home. I dont see anything wrong in it.

Quote:
The politicians in my native state did not offer cheap land and tax benefit to IT companies, hence the IT industry never took off in my state.
Somebody's loss is somebody's gain, i guess. You win some and loose some.

Quote:
I would be the first person to leave Bangalore. Not because I hate the city, but because I would prefer to live closer to my hometown.
I sincerely wish things do become bright in your city, so that you get back ASAP and stay close to your near and dear ones. And also you get away from all the miseries, difficulties you are facing here.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 24th December 2010 at 23:30.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

@ SilentEngine: With due respect, I'm a shippie(mariner) & I have travelled worldwide for 18 good years. Every country we visited was a new place, new culture, new language. We were always tourist landing in n new a country/city for the first time & we did have our shares OF disappointments there too but it really pains when similar thing happens in our OWN country. I hope you'll agree to that.
Interestingly there is BIG banner over the string of shops proclaiming HINDI to be our national language right in the same KSRTC bus stop.

@nandans2005: I think Rohan tried to settle the argument with his post no. 46 but then you did a beautiful job of bisecting it & proving that India is NOT one country but a group of DIFFERENT states. Ironically you did even hesitate to comment on 'HIS' state versus 'YOUR' state. As if YOUR state's gain was HIS states loss. Could you be more clear on that. I dont know which STATE does Rohan belong to but his STATE'S contribution is none lesser to this great counrtry than yours. May be you'll never understand that.
You deserve all the credit for DIVIDING our country in YOUR & HIS state. That's why British ruled our coutry for 250 years on ONE basic principle DIVIDE & RULE.

Well it even says in you signature: "Attitude is a small..." You definately have a GOOD attitude my brother.

In case you may have forgotten we ALL have our right to comment on our likes & dislikes here but without getting personal & you did cross a line there.

I rest my case.

Raab Rakha,
Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 25th December 2010 at 13:55.
Old 26th December 2010, 11:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

@ariesonu, I don't know about other countries. But my point was that there is no need to single out Bangalore for being unfriendly to 'outsiders'. Almost all places in India are unfriendly to people who don't speak the native language.
Old 26th December 2010, 15:42   #52
BHPian

[quote=rohan_iitr;2029258]
Quote:
I have been living in Bangalore for the last 9 years.
Well, do you think anybody can stay in a different city for so many years if the city is not doing any good.

Quote:
The cultures of Mumbai and Bangalore are totally opposite. Mumbai is a very lively city whereas Bangalore is a lazy city.
I hope atleast now you will understand who has differentiated between cities.

Quote:
Outsiders are not welcome in Bangalore. Local people have the kind of mindset that outsiders who have migrated to Bangalore have spoilt their city completely. To a certain extent, this is true. I can totally understand the mindset of the local people. Even I would feel the same way if outsiders migrate to my city and spoil it.
The last sentence would make to you understand who is seeing the country made of many states . I hope you will shift your focus and understand who is trying to divide the country into states > as per your language.

I suggest in future you go through the entire thread before posting anything. Not understanding and posting is called crossing the line. Hope you understand.

Coming to the attitude part of it, One spents a decade here and talk only wrong things about it, and you say that my attitude is bad. This shows your levels of comprehension.. Come to think of it.

As you have mentioned " Dont forget that all have the right to mention dislikes and likes". This is what exactly i am doing here.Its you who have got offended and taken it personally, since you too had difficulty while travelling through Bangalore.

I feel that enough is being debated here.Its upto Dev to give us his experience.

Finally i would say " It takes all kind "

Last edited by nandans2005 : 26th December 2010 at 15:52.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:48   #53
BHPian

Hey Guyz,

What Happened to you ALL
Mann, this is..
Antwayz, I'm not posting here anymore. I was hoping it will a great experience to post here all my experience when I relocated here in Bangalore. But, Anyways....
Old 27th December 2010, 11:12   #54

Dev,

We would surely like to hear about your experience.

I would suggest you to start another thread and close this one, as the purpose of this thread was different and has been met.

What say bro?
Old 27th December 2010, 11:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hey Guyz,

What Happened to you ALL
Mann, this is..
Antwayz, I'm not posting here anymore. I was hoping it will a great experience to post here all my experience when I relocated here in Bangalore. But, Anyways....
and Mate... why you want to stop posting? I am loving the way you are sharing your experiences and I am re-living my 2 years spent in Bangalore.

Yes , i do have my share of problematic times due to me being not able to understand the language,cuisine was not what I have ate through-out my life, but I do have happy memories too and I cherish my time spent in bangy. Mind you, when I shifted to Bangalore, i didn't asked anyone what it will feel to be in-here, just came and started experiencing this wonderful city.

We all need to understand one thing that every place has its own merits and de-merits and it is up to us , how we adjust and adapt to those positives and negatives.

Please do not stop posting , just because people are frowning on each other with insider-outsider tabs. It is their their way of seeing the things and it will be totally different perspective for each and everyone.

just my 2 cents....
Old 27th December 2010, 12:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post

NO ONE & believe me no one even uttered a word of english or hindi. Not even YES or NO.

Now can someone tell me what place is Mangaluru

Raab Rakha,
Sonu
Why is a Kannadiga's(or any regional state) inability to speak English/Hindi such a wonderment?
I wouldnt go to Delhi and expect people there to speak Kannada.
Nowadays, however, whenever I go to Bangalore, I hear more of Hindi and English than Kannada.

Mangaluru is to Mangalore is, what Mumbai is to Bombay

Note from Mod : Thread has served its purpose and is now going off-track. Best closed.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2010 at 16:22. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks