Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 23:31   #13921
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Unless India bowls really badly and England bat extraordinarily, it won't be easy to chase down all those runs. Despite getting to 77/0 today (few close calls as well), they need another 291 tomorrow for a win, let's see.
England doesn’t have to bat extraordinarily, just staying at the wicket will fetch the desired runs. The pitch as can be seen is now at it’s best for batting. The usual fifth day demons are not expected as of now if the weather remains the same.

With the uni dimensional attack that we have, It would be extraordinary on part of India to win this and I hope they do, for the sake of the country. If Jadeja manages to get some turn, then it would be really interesting. Morning first hour will decide the game tomorrow, as you rightly said, let’s see although I don’t have much hopes but strange things have happened.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 5th September 2021 at 23:45.
Old 5th September 2021, 23:48   #13922
Senior - BHPian

I'd still not write off England in this game, but I feel the Indiaraw:England is 40:30:30.

For me, the MoM is already Shardul Thakur unless some England demolish India on day 5.
Old 5th September 2021, 23:56   #13923
Team-BHP Support

Officially worried about England chasing this one down. Jadeja needs to be in top bowling form tomorrow.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 00:08   #13924
Distinguished - BHPian

The openers have done a good job for England. India has to seriously worry if they don't get early wickets. I think England will bat cautiously till lunch and they can push the game towards win. Wish we had 50 more runs to defend.
Old 6th September 2021, 00:08   #13925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Officially worried about England chasing this one down. Jadeja needs to be in top bowling form tomorrow.
Feel like this is going to be more of a mind game than a physical aspect. Are the Indian bowlers able to get early wickets tomorrow and put the pressure back on England? If not, can Jadeja and a rotation of the fast bowlers ensure the run rate remains below 3?

England did a healthy 3.5X run rate in the first innings. It's going to be an interesting Monday evening for sure.
Old 6th September 2021, 00:23   #13926
Team-BHP Support

It reminds me of the final test in Australia. England are in a similar position as we were, and then Pant happened.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 00:27   #13927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The openers have done a good job for England. India has to seriously worry if they don't get early wickets. I think England will bat cautiously till lunch and they can push the game towards win. Wish we had 50 more runs to defend.
I see a England win tomorrow unless the players really mess up. It’s England’s game unless something dramatic happens. As I said before, Ashwin will be missed badly, more so in the fourth innings !!

The lines highlighted in bold really holds true. After the initial failing of the middle order and easing of the pitch, Pant had no business doing what he did to get out. But then, he was never a player to be depended upon anyways. Doing the hard work and then throwing the wicket when he could have stayed and added to the tally would have made a world of difference. Another 50 or 80 runs could have been a major boost but alas

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 6th September 2021 at 00:28.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 05:16   #13928
Senior - BHPian

I seriously cannot fathom why Ashwin is not in the playing 11. He is the one of the top bowlers in the test format and I dont buy this excuse of spinner being ineffective in English conditions. Did Australia drop Warne or India drop Kumble if we were playing in England. If Virat has anything to do with this, he should be shown the door first.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 08:49   #13929
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy. Whether we win or lose this today (and we can certainly win it!), we're going to miss having Ashwin. There is a limit to how long one man's ego can be allowed a free reign, no matter how great a batsman he is and how much it is spun in the media as 'passion/fighting spirit'. Now it is negavitely impacting the team. This is precisely why we needed a coach like Kumble and not a yes-man like Shastri.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 08:55   #13930
Senior - BHPian

I am hopeful that Bumrah, Umesh, and Siraj can pull this off. English fast bowlers were strictly medium pace. I was surprised to see 39-year-old Anderson still faster than all the other pace bowlers in most occasions. Our pace trio is a bit more quickly and should be able to extract something from the 5th-day pitch.

If we lose, there will be serious questions about Virat's captaincy. I really feel it is something personal that is keeping Ashwin on the bench. You can't blame that though. Even in our professional scenarios, we always pick the people we are comfortable with when we take on big responsibilities. And none usually blame us as long as the objectives are accomplished. The problem comes when we fail to accomplish the tasks even after avoiding the best performers to give preference to others. Just like in those cases, Virat's captaincy and team selection will come under question, if we lose this.

Personally, I don't care about a specific member's place as long as India wins. It is our own responsibility to be on good terms with the higher-ups if we want a career. All these arguments are void If India loses though.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th September 2021 at 09:00.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:34   #13931
Senior - BHPian

Making 291 in a day is really tough. Don't think it has happened on any day in the series so far. Couple of wickets and England will start playing for the draw. Ash would have been great here but then our Captain has to follow his 'Template' no matter who is a match winner.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:58   #13932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Ash would have been great here but then our Captain has to follow his 'Template' no matter who is a match winner.
If things get desperate, he can always fall back on Rohit Sharma's off spin.

On a serious note, one just has to see Ashwin's expressions and general demeanour when he is watching the match, to understand how pissed off he is.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:13   #13933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
On a serious note, one just has to see Ashwin's expressions and general demeanour when he is watching the match, to understand how pissed off he is.
I feel for him

On a lighter note, ours is a very strong team that can afford to have world's best spinner warming up the bench
And, sending a bowling allrounder ahead of proper batsman (twice), instead of showing confidence in the out-of-form batsman...

Looks like this team is run on few people's adamant egoes, not logic.
Atrocious!

Last edited by redCherry : 6th September 2021 at 10:19.
redCherry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:31   #13934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
I feel for him
I can understand (if not agree with) excluding Ashwin in the 1st 3 tests, but to keep him out in the 4th when he had taken 6/27 at the same ground just 1.5 months ago beggars belief.

Also, bowling wise, it's not that Jadeja has been exceptional in this series; he has done ok, but nothing that would make him irreplaceable.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th September 2021 at 10:53.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:16   #13935
BHPian

BHPians who are feeling bad for Ashwin's continued exclusion from team (I too feel that way by the way, but asking this out of curiosity) -
How will you feel if India wins today? (this result will further embolden/justify skipper & coach's approach and Ashwin may be kept out for the 5th test as well)

Or will you guys be happier if India lost/draw? (Hoping that finally Captain & Coach will get some good sense to add Ashwin to the playing XI in the next match)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks