Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 11:28   #12781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Fully agree Suhaas. I for one used to admire his batting prowess.

I used to hate Warner so much and I added Smith to the hate list, since the sandpapergate incident.

Now, I actually feel ‘ok’ for Warner and my respect for Smith has plummeted way down. He made Warner look good to my eyes.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:42   #12782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
3) Batsmanguardgate - sorry this is the last straw. While I completely buy his story that he was shadowbatting, and even buy his story that he wanted to strategise with Lyon (when it was rightly pointed out that he attempted to shadowbat during the 4th innings of a test match), I don’t see how removing a batsman’s guard with so much enthusiasm and vigor is essential while shadowbatting.
It is hard to give him the benefit of doubt given his history, but that batting guard is 1/2 inch deep. The reason I am ready to give him benefit of doubt is because of his eccentric character when he is batting. He is in a world of his own and in his own words, he doesnt even realise the quirks that other watching him do.

And if we are discussing sportsmanship, it cant be a one sided discussion. Pant was even worse claiming a catch in which the ball clearly hit the ground.

Quote:
Also, notice how Paine was quick to address the allegations against Smith but is yet to speak out against the appalling racism meted out to Siraj and the rest of the team at the SCG.
An Indian Australian was also evicted from the ground on the basis of the complaint and he heard no racial abuse. There are videos too, of the alleged abuse, on the same link. Please see and hear for yourself and tell me if you hear anything racist. I could not.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...11-p56t5t.html

That aside, there is a massive cultural difference between how cricket is played in Australia and the bantering vs India where cricketers are no less than demi gods. Here, they were abusing their own. Its light hearted and its not be to taken to heart

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...08-p56st2.html

Also lets not forget, the Harbhajan-Symonds incident.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...andal/10459668

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th January 2021 at 11:54.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:55   #12783
Distinguished - BHPian

Regards to Smith Shadow batting, I can give him all the benefit of doubt, but I won't in this case...Why? because I just didn't see him SHADOW BAT there. He came, he stood, He scrapped the pitch and he went back...that's all!
He is quirky, he shadow bats in the hotel room with all full kit, all are fine...But again...he uses sand paper, he takes the help of video analysts to take a review!

Regarding Pant claiming a catch...He must be following the words of his Head Coach from DC. He always has said that even if you know you have edged, it's up to the umpires make the decision. That's how he always played his game.

On a lighter side, I thought of posting the below message (a WhatsApp forward) in the Jokes thread, but then it suits this thread better
If you are good at phrasing sledges,
But if you are bad at catching edges,
Then you must be a Paine in the Aus!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 12th January 2021 at 11:58.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:03   #12784
BHPian

Should add another one to the list - The DRS (Dressing-Room Review System) incident of 2017.

These are enough incidents to show the sportsmanship of Smith.
Quote:
I have immense respect for Smith, the batting talent and powerhouse batsman that he is. No question about that.

However, I have 0 respect for him - the cricketer.
redCherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:14   #12785
Distinguished - BHPian

So team for next match looking like this.

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Shaw/Saha
Pant
Kuldeep
Shardul
Saini
Natrajan
Siraj
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:49   #12786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
So team for next match looking like this.

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Shaw/Saha
Pant
Kuldeep
Shardul
Saini
Natrajan
Siraj
Let us stop putting up our team forecasts I think.

At the rate things are going a very obese and hungover Ravi Shastri is going to have to trundle in to bowl.

Bumrah was a mind numbing piece of news early in the day.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:58   #12787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Let us stop putting up our team forecasts I think.

At the rate things are going a very obese and hungover Ravi Shastri is going to have to trundle in to bowl.

Bumrah was a mind numbing piece of news early in the day.

Cheers, Doc
Ya he would have been a handful in Gabba, even mayank not being fit is a big blow. Some one from the top 3 have to step up and make a big hundred, don't think we are in a position to take 20 full strength aussie wickets.
Old 12th January 2021, 14:59   #12788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Should add another one to the list - The DRS (Dressing-Room Review System) incident of 2017.

These are enough incidents to show the sportsmanship of Smith.
Actually that's the brainfadegate as Smith described asking dressing room for help as a brainfade
jigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:32   #12789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Please see and hear for yourself and tell me if you hear anything racist. I could not.
What about this sir? On day 4:
https://twitter.com/shetty10rithvik/...947717120?s=21

Last edited by tchsvy : 12th January 2021 at 15:32. Reason: typo
Old 12th January 2021, 15:35   #12790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
I dont want to drag this anymore as this video is already in the link I shared. All i hear is them saying “seeeeeeeeee..... raaaaj”
Old 12th January 2021, 15:39   #12791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is hard to give him the benefit of doubt given his history, but that batting guard is 1/2 inch deep. The reason I am ready to give him benefit of doubt is because of his eccentric character when he is batting. He is in a world of his own and in his own words, he doesnt even realise the quirks that other watching him do.

And if we are discussing sportsmanship, it cant be a one sided discussion. Pant was even worse claiming a catch in which the ball clearly hit the ground.
I get where you’re coming from, but eccentric character cannot be used as a get-out-of-jail-free card. It’s like pleading ignorance of established rules and law - you’re still guilty for your actions at the end of it

A former veteran cricketer remarked that the batting crease belongs to the batsman and the fielding side has to give the batsman his space and has no business disturbing it the way it was disturbed in this game.

Regarding Pant’s unsportsmanlike attitude, I completely agree he probably shouldn’t have appealed if he knew. Does that nullify Smith’s behaviour though?

And regarding Monkeygate - did you not know that Indians are arguably one of the most racist people in the world? Did you expect anything less from us? I can go on about this but it would be very OT.

Harbhajan was fined 50% of his match fee in the end and yes, the consequence of his actions ought to have been more severe, but that incident is done and dusted. What’s the point in bringing that up at this stage when we are discussing the alleged racist remarks made against Siraj by the spectators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Should add another one to the list - The DRS (Dressing-Room Review System) incident of 2017..
Covered in point 2) Brainfadegate.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:48   #12792
BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to drag this anymore as this video is already in the link I shared. All i hear is them saying “seeeeeeeeee..... raaaaj”
At 0:08 mark you can here 'Brown Dog', further, he has consistently been called 'Shiraz', referring a type of wine, knowing consuming wine is against his beliefs.

And on other note, its funny how Tim Paine, Marnus Labushagne and Mathew Wade use stump mics to address abusers (Symonds and Warne) but at the same time dish out personal abuses at the batsman at the crease. Australians think sledging is cool only when they dish it out, when they are at the receiving end, they loose it.
tchsvy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:40   #12793
BHPian

Quote:
If you pay enough attention, someone in the background says “brown dog“.
Old 13th January 2021, 00:51   #12794
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, Steve smith can't be excused for what he did IMHO. I've seen the whole series on Willow (maybe not 100%, but at least 50%) and they mostly go on the stump camera during small breaks.

I've never seen him do it in the first test, second test, or day 1-4 of the third test. What does that say?
Old 14th January 2021, 10:43   #12795
Senior - BHPian

A Wife’s Eye View

Ashwin’s better half shares the story of pain and gain that was part of the historic draw.

The Cricket Thread-6782bd57ddec47fab9869aa094d73ea8.jpeg

Source: Indian Express
dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks