Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 16:27   #9016
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

England crashed from 100 odd for 1 wicket to 207 all out, thanks to a great bowling performance by Sir Jaddu , good victory to make it 4-0!
Old 20th December 2016, 17:38   #9017
Senior - BHPian

Great Victory by India. Jadeja's bowling has more than what meets the eye. He doesn't possess exaggerated variations which Ashwin does, but he's a difficult bowler to face.

Not to forget, great batting by Karun Nair and K L Rahul. Not sure Karun will get a place if India play 5 bowlers in a test match. I think Rohit Sharma's days are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I think we are just short of one Good fast bowler to be a really great side.
I think Mohd Shami and Umesh Yadav have done a wonderful job. They don't have too many 5 wicket hauls, but they come at certain situations and break critical partnerships.

When we play in seamer friendly conditions, they'll pick more wickets and have a bigger role to play.

We've got a decent bench strength too. Ishant, Bhuvi and Shardul Thakur seem good options. Thakur's got quite a reputation in the domestic circuit.
Old 24th December 2016, 19:40   #9018
BHPian

Whatever happened to Karnataka team in the Ranji quarterfinals?!

The match was over in two days. Except for 77 in the second innings by Rahul no other batsman scored more than 30. Karun Nair scored 14 and 12. Was the track so dangerous for the batsmen to play on?
Old 25th December 2016, 09:13   #9019
Senior - BHPian

Merry Christmas, Team BHPians!

News about Our U-19 team

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...l-dravid-coach

"Rahul Dravid

Enjoyed working with another bunch of youngsters with huge potential and the hunger to get better! -RD"
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-15726511_1912616955633163_8103762254134210303_n.jpg  

The Cricket Thread-xmas.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 25th December 2016 at 09:15.
Old 4th January 2017, 22:04   #9020
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Breaking News coming in that Dhoni has stepped down as captain of ODI & T20 team! This announcement, just like his test retirement has taken everyone by surprise!

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...ed-overs-sides
Old 4th January 2017, 22:08   #9021
Senior - BHPian

I hope that he's not thinking twice about the 2019 WC. If he feels he doesn't have it for the 2019 WC, he must quit now as we need to give another keeper a lot of practice.

That being said, he's a selfless servant for Indian cricket and has been a wonderful captain and player in limited over formats.
Old 4th January 2017, 23:22   #9022
Senior - BHPian

LOL, selfless indeed. The man is a master strategist and is now fine tuning his moves to get on to the BCCI board and ultimately the ICC in as short a time as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
That being said, he's a selfless servant for Indian cricket and has been a wonderful captain and player in limited over formats.
Old 5th January 2017, 00:29   #9023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I hope that he's not thinking twice about the 2019 WC. If he feels he doesn't have it for the 2019 WC, he must quit now as we need to give another keeper a lot of practice.
I don't understand what do you mean by giving a 'lot of practice'. The kind of role Dhoni plays in the side, we are not gonna find anybody anywhere near as capable anytime soon. The next regular keeper for India is thus likely to be either your regular middle/lower order batter, or if we can find one, an opener like Gilly (am looking at Rishabh Pant as I type this). We can't make a Dhoni out of either type of player, hence no point grooming somebody too early, at the cost of whatever is left in Dhoni.
As far as their natural role is concerned, they can wear their gloves and collect the balls from day one, once their turn arrives. The IPL gives domestic keepers enough exposure as things stand.
From here on, I predict that we would keep switching keepers for a while like we did in the 90's and early 2000's, until we find a quality solution that settles into his own role in the side. The best keeper-batsmen in the country today are mostly on the wrong side of age (Saha, Ojha, Patel, Karthik, etc) hence the next crop of players stand a better chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
LOL, selfless indeed. The man is a master strategist and is now fine tuning his moves to get on to the BCCI board and ultimately the ICC in as short a time as possible.
I disagree. We should give him a break here, and respect the selfless decision he has taken. He could have as well stuck onto the captaincy till his playing form would dwindle and he'd have to be removed from the team. His public image would get hampered in such a case, but they don't elect BCCI bosses by public vote anyway. He is big enough a cricketing figure to make it into the board if he wants, without having to take calls in advance just for the sake of it.
Old 5th January 2017, 00:40   #9024
Team-BHP Support

I agree and I actually look forward to Dhoni playing only as a player. He just might rediscover his old form and we might get to see a lot of helicopters.

As Mukul said, the next long term keeper will take some finding. I hope Pant plays the IPL this year so we see what he is made of. Ishan Kishan is also a keeper, but more of a traditional bat. Interesting times ahead.
Old 5th January 2017, 09:53   #9025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The kind of role Dhoni plays in the side, we are not gonna find anybody anywhere near as capable anytime soon....
We have some exciting young talent. I would give them a run in the side for a two years so that they can get adjusted to their role as a batsman.

I agree that Dhoni the batsman is irreplacable, but there are 6 batsmen besides the keeper that have to take up more responsibility. I would like to see K L Rahul get an extended run in the ODI side. Alongisde Rohit Sharma, he can really contribute a lot.

Ajinkya Rahane can take no. 3 and Virat can drop to No.4 when the situation demands. I would keep Dhawan as a reserve opener.

It would be ideal if Dhoni can play the '19 WC.

Dhoni has averaged only 38.25 in 33 ODIs in 2015 and 2016. Only in '04, '05, '06, '07 and '10 has his average been less that 50 in ODIs. Hopefully he does better in 2017.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th January 2017 at 10:00.
Old 5th January 2017, 10:32   #9026
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that is news - can you cite any source for this? You might as well say, he is planning to become the PM of India (he is a master strategist, ofcourse)

On a serious note - A bit shocked hearing this last night, as in Tests, he could have easily continued but the man to me epitomizes gut feel. He just takes decisions that are best for the team - and probably this is one of those.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 5th January 2017 at 10:34.
Old 5th January 2017, 11:21   #9027
BHPian

Whoa! there's a cricket thread too!

Not surprised, given Dhoni's ability to remain composed and pragmatic, even during 'no-so-great' time of his career. In fact this was expected after the end of last ODI series, when he was praising Kohli's insights on the field, and how they both worked on some decisions.

Quote:
This unjustified cynicism is prevalent amongst Dhoni 'fans'. He can be selfish(for the team), bossy, overbearing. But he has results and trophies on his side to justify all that. And yeah, that's the kind of person Cricket needs in the BCCI and ICC.
Old 5th January 2017, 11:59   #9028
Senior - BHPian

You really need to comprehend what is being posted and get to the gist of the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
This unjustified cynicism is prevalent amongst Dhoni 'fans'.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:38   #9029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Breaking News coming in that Dhoni has stepped down as captain of ODI & T20 team!
Good call I should say. Given that Kohli just won 4-0 in the home series against England. Its only a matter of time he takes over the ODI captaincy.

I'd also go as far to say, its only a matter of time when he calls it quits in the limited over formats as well. My guess is, it will happen by the end of this year.

Quote:
Am not sure of his political aspirations. But agree with the part that he is a master strategist on and off field

Having seen some iconic retirements where he was probably instrumental in, being 35 I think he realizes that it would only be a matter of time he is at the receiving end of it.

He steps down, when the cricketing world still has good things to say about him. I hope he gets a worthy occasion to walk off the field.
Old 5th January 2017, 14:49   #9030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A. Thats not a bad thing
B. Hope your wild guess turns out to be correct, need more like him involved in cricket.

No other captain has left a legacy as he has. Changed the way cricket is played. Respect where it is due.

Last edited by Hatari : 5th January 2017 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks