Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 19:56   #7546
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

In tournaments involving more than 5 teams (World cups, Champions trophies et al), South Africa have not fared as badly as one thinks they have, especially against the harsh label of 'chokers' that one tends to bestow upon them so quickly.

India has lost the most finals in 5+ team ODI tournaments in the last 2 decades. If there is a team that chokes most often at the highest pedestal, it may be India.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...pe=5;type=team

In the last 2 decades, in multi-nation ODI tournaments, SA and NZ have lost 5 semifinals, Pakistan 4. Again, no clear trend of just SA being the only chokers in big event semifinals. There are others too

Coming to quarter finals, it is England who have lost the most (4 QF's) in large event tournaments in the last 2 decades.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 19th June 2013 at 20:09.
Old 21st June 2013, 01:28   #7547
BHPian

so bhai logon. are we gonna win this tournament?

ps. still thinking about ashwin's ball to kulasekhera. that was a top leg spinner's delivery.

Last edited by manolin : 21st June 2013 at 01:31.
Old 24th June 2013, 21:30   #7548
Senior - BHPian

Well played by the Indian team! The infusion of young blood has really worked wonders!! And also silenced those who used to say that there are no replacements for the senior players.
Old 24th June 2013, 21:59   #7549
BHPian

I am still not sure if India won the CT or England lost it But the best team in the tournament won and nobody will question that.

--------------
The best team in the shorter versions of the game? Absolutely.

The best team in the longer form of the game? Probably not yet.

How good will the next Indian captain be after MSD? Anyone's guess.

----------
Anyone else notice that the IPL scandal from just 3 weeks ago is nowhere in the news now?

-----------

Watched Kamran Akmal play in a local tournament here in Detroit over the weekend. Seems he came directly to the US after Pakistan were bundled out of the CT in England. He continued his fine form from the CT into the local tournament here too, posting single figure scores in all his outings (snicker snicker).

I am told Kamran and his two brothers are US green card holders. No clue how that happens.
-----------
Old 24th June 2013, 21:59   #7550
Senior - BHPian

What will happen to Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj and Harbhajan now?
Old 24th June 2013, 22:17   #7551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I guess it's time for them to upload their resume @ some job site , lol.
Yuvi, i feel might make a comeback but for others, chances are very dim .
Cheers
Old 24th June 2013, 22:25   #7552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They will all become commentators or "cricket experts" for various news channels.
Old 24th June 2013, 22:52   #7553
PPS
Senior - BHPian

What a cracker of a match! Wanted to tear apart Ishant's hair in that particular over when he was looking listless but what a comeback, don't think even Dhoni expected that. Alll commentators & im sure many fans were crying hoarse about those 3 overs of Jadeja & Ashwin which Dhoni held back as being a bit too late but it all worked out nicely in the end.

Does anyone remember those overthrows that England gave away(5 runs to be exact).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Watched Kamran Akmal play in a local tournament here in Detroit over the weekend. Seems he came directly to the US after Pakistan were bundled out of the CT in England.
Had read in the papers that Pak players chose not to go home as they were expecting a hostile welcome at the airport hence they chose to pass time around Europe!

Quote:
What will happen to Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj and Harbhajan
Gambhir & Yuvraj i feel still have some cricket left. Yuvraj would have been a handful on that pitch yesterday!
Old 24th June 2013, 23:22   #7554
Team-BHP Support

Gambhir will definitely be back, read somewhere that he is training hard to be back amongst the runs. If Yuvraj is working on his fitness, he too can be back.

I do not think Sehwag has the stomach for a fightback and his eyesight seems to have ditched him.

Harbhajan will captain India someday. This is his thinking. I do not see him wearing India colors again, barring an injury to Ashwin

PS: It also depends on who play for CSK and Dhoni in the next couple of IPLs
Old 24th June 2013, 23:25   #7555
Senior - BHPian

Great performance by the boys and good fight by England.

I just wish we would've won without that controversial stumping decision by 3rd umpire that hangs like a dark cloud.

Clearly he as 'in' from every angle
Old 24th June 2013, 23:27   #7556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I guess it's time for them to upload their resume @ some job site , lol.
Yuvi, i feel might make a comeback but for others, chances are very dim .
Cheers
Even though Yuvi has it in him, I don't think he'll make it back into the side. Sir has effectively replaced him. He hits the sixes, gets the wickets and is a live-wire on the field too.
Old 25th June 2013, 14:33   #7557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
I am told Kamran and his two brothers are US green card holders. No clue how that happens.
Quote:
I think the discards from India and Pakistan can regroup in the US to form an international class Cricket team and vie for a berth in the next ICC World Cup.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:35   #7558
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This Irfan Pathan had an all expense paid trip to UK along with a fancy jacket, some free champagne to waste & 1cr for doing nothing. And now on top of that he gets injured & is missing the tri-series in Windies.

I mean how could he get injured?
Old 25th June 2013, 23:39   #7559
Senior - BHPian

Three things made me think that this was going to happen, from the beginning of tournament. Or you can say that might be the Result was fixed:

1) To distract the attention of audiences from IPL fixing, MSD was tobe questioned, but this win might put blanket over the burning IPL fire and MSD's role in CSK's owner involved in fixing.

2) All the pitches were slow and low like tipical Indian pitches, and Indians play so well on Slow and low pitches, and they got the same like the pitches were waiting for them, I might be wrong here as the rains may have caused that but Anybody remember what happened to India on the last tour of England?

Now, in the finals there were specific reasons that this final was probably fixed:

1) The stumping by Dhoni in the finals was clearly not-out.

2) The ball Ravi Bopara was given out was in the line of the top of his helmet, clearly a No-ball that he did hit, but it has tobe declared a No-ball anyway, which the umpires did'nt.

3) never saw MSD celebrating like that even after winning the WC. I know this is crazy!
I am not bashing Indian team, they did play really well throughout the tournament, but fair play is what should be appreciated.

Last edited by mercedised : 25th June 2013 at 23:43.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:57   #7560
Distinguished - BHPian

Gambhir has always been one of the most hardworking batsman in our team. I have always admired him. He would certainly be back and moreover our team needs someone like him who can hold one end and just knock the ball around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks