Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 03:28   #7081
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Feeling really happy for the Windies!!!
Did anyone read the comment comparing Samuels's innings of 78 to 281 by Laxman at Kolkata.
Awesome and correct !!!
Old 8th October 2012, 08:31   #7082
Senior - BHPian

Sri Lanka literally succumbed to the pressure and that too on the home turf. Windies did everything right except for a few moments when Kulasekara was on fire, thought he would take Lanka home but never happened.

Thats Gangnam dance is simply awesome, wonder what Indian dance would have been if they had won the cup.

Kudos to the Windies team effort and esp Samuels. The dusting of Samuels scene was simply hillarious.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:21   #7083
BHPian

It was a well deserved win for West Indies. I am happy for them. Looks like the team has come together again with their full brutal force (Gayle and all back).

With Lara have they won any major tournaments?

Kiran
Old 8th October 2012, 10:00   #7084
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Nice to see windies win the cup and the slingers losing yet another final. Dont like the sight of Malinga throwing really. Thats not bowling.

Reading cricket throwing laws. Malinga does not throw. Murali threw for all to see. So did Shoaib. But Malinga doesn't throw. In cricket, a throw is when a bowler straightens his arms while bowling. Malinga's arm doesn't straighten. See the bowling action of Jeff Thomson - very similar to Malinga. Thomson was also never even suspected of throwing. If you feel Malinga throws you haven't read the laws - not talking about 15% or anything - but the actual age old chucking laws.
Old 8th October 2012, 12:34   #7085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Reading cricket throwing laws. Malinga does not throw. Murali threw for all to see. So did Shoaib. But Malinga doesn't throw. In cricket, a throw is when a bowler straightens his arms while bowling. Malinga's arm doesn't straighten. See the bowling action of Jeff Thomson - very similar to Malinga. Thomson was also never even suspected of throwing. If you feel Malinga throws you haven't read the laws - not talking about 15% or anything - but the actual age old chucking laws.
well I dont really know the rules there. Not that much interested in cricket anymore to bother knowing them really. But I dont really like the looks of Malinga's action. It is not a bowling action as I know it. Never saw any of the great bowlers bowling like that. Thats how it was taught to us when we were kids. For me the hand should go all the way to the top while bowling. In a few days maybe bowlers will start bowling underarm if this is accepted as bowling.

And I dont know who Jeff Thomson is. Am not his contemporary methinks.
Old 8th October 2012, 12:48   #7086
BANNED

Quote:
well I dont really know the rules there. Not that much interested in cricket anymore to bother knowing them really. But I dont really like the looks of Malinga's action. It is not a bowling action as I know it. Never saw any of the great bowlers bowling like that. Thats how it was taught to us when we were kids. For me the hand should go all the way to the top while bowling. In a few days maybe bowlers will start bowling underarm if this is accepted as bowling.
No, it won't. The laws don't allow it. It was changed around 30 years back because of this incident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_un...wling_incident
Before that it was allowed. Underarm doesn't give any extra advantage to the bowler, except that it's difficult to hit the ball for a 6.

Malinga's action is called a slinging action & is perfectly within the laws of cricket.

Quote:
You probably wouldn't have heard of Dennis Lillee, but Lillee and Thomson formed one of the most fearsome new ball bowlers in the world. As per Rod Marsh, Thomson was much faster than Lillee. Lillee and Thomson decimated England in a series or two. Thomson then suffered some injuries and was never as fast or good as he was before.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:29   #7087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
You probably wouldn't have heard of Dennis Lillee, but Lillee and Thomson formed one of the most fearsome new ball bowlers in the world. As per Rod Marsh, Thomson was much faster than Lillee. Lillee and Thomson decimated England in a series or two. Thomson then suffered some injuries and was never as fast or good as he was before.
Thanks for sharing. Thommo & Lillee did not just decimate England, but also the WI with Richards, Holding and Lloyd in their ranks, Holding almost cried. The chant from the OZ crowd was going Lillee, Lillee, Kill as Lillee went about attacking the WI batsmen at their heads (Watch "Fire in Babylon").

Coming back to the WT20, I feel that Dhoni and his team were far more superior to this overrated SL team. In the 2011 WC final, India chased a BIG total with such cool even after they lost Sachin & Sehwag cheaply very early in the chase. Jaya & Sanga were looking like rank newbies compared to how Gambhir & Dhoni played under similar or worse conditions. Got to give this to Dhoni, for all the flak that he is receiving for being a non proactive captain. He has instilled a cool, collected mind in every Indian cricketer. Guys like Raina, Kohli, Tiwary, Gambhir, Pathan etc have all reaped the benefits of his cool head.

I for one am not at all disappointed with India's performance in this WT20 though there are some serious issues to be addressed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2012 at 00:06. Reason: Fixed quote tags :)
Old 9th October 2012, 00:03   #7088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I for one am not at all disappointed with India's performance in this WT20 though there are some serious issues to be addressed.
unless we can produce a pair of real world class genuine pacers that can consistently take wickets in all sorts of conditions and who wont trudge back to Prasad speeds after one series, there will be fall guys like Dhoni! Its not his fault - India has no bowlers. We win things when our batsmen shine, not bowlers, not fast bowlers at least. Thats why we never dominated cricket. All teams that ever dominated cricket have had great fast bowlers! India never had a genuinely great fast bowler (I dont count Kapil as fast bowler though he is one of the greats).

Seriously first thing they should do is to keep Prasad as far from the fast bowlers as possible. Talk about bad influences..
Old 9th October 2012, 08:35   #7089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never saw any of the great bowlers bowling like that. Thats how it was taught to us when we were kids.
Not many with that action because, it is very difficult to be accurate with that action. Malinga has mastered that to a great degree.
Quote:
It was changed around 30 years back because of this incident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_un...wling_incident
The laws were changed again to allow the likes of Murali & co to be legal in international cricket (15 degree bend of shoulders). So we have ICC rules for international cricket (which allows 15 degree bending of arm) and MCC rules (the original cricket rules that is now followed only in English county cricket and that doesn't allow 15 degree bend).
Old 18th October 2012, 11:54   #7090
Senior - BHPian

Anyone watching the IPL teams in CLT20 ? KKR Knocked out, CSK on the verge, MI do not look good, DD looks a bit promising.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:13   #7091
Senior - BHPian

DD going in to semis with zilch match practice while Sydney and highveld get in on a roll. Good thing to drop Mahela though.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:56   #7092
BHPian

Does anyone know where can I purchase tickets to the second India Vs Eng test in Mumbai, 23-27Nov? What are the rates? Checked bcci.tv, bookmyshow.com did not find anything. Mumbai Cricket Assosication's website is blocked from office for some reason.
Anyone else planning to attend?
Old 8th November 2012, 12:54   #7093
BHPian

Kyazoonga.com has the ticketing rights for the India - England series. But the only ones on sale are the 3rd test in Kolkatta. Yeah, even I dont get it.

Anyways MCA website has the following info

Quote:
Note: Dates for public sale of tickets will be announced later.

For more information Please contact:
Dr. P.V. Shetty | Nitin N. Dalal
Jt. Hon. Secretaries
Contact No.: (+91)-22-22795500
Email: mcacrik@vsnl.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-india-england.jpg  

Old 15th November 2012, 12:23   #7094
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
How come not even a single post regarding the Ind-Eng Test series? India are in a strong position at 120-0 at lunch. Sehwag as usual has a run rate of >120!!

But I also feel that we have to improve a lot in overseas tours. Here's hoping India thrash England 4-0 & give some of the drubbing back!!
Old 16th November 2012, 14:10   #7095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
Dear BHPians,
How come not even a single post regarding the Ind-Eng Test series? India are in a strong position at 120-0 at lunch. Sehwag as usual has a run rate of >120!!

But I also feel that we have to improve a lot in overseas tours. Here's hoping India thrash England 4-0 & give some of the drubbing back!!
Let me give you some company.

They're at 501/6 right now with Pujara at 193 and Ashwin at 20. My guess is that they'll declare at 600 or after Pujara gets to 250.

There was some stray talk about Sachin having gotten out to a NO ball. I couldn't watch the replay. Any idea if that's true ?

Last edited by vinu_h : 16th November 2012 at 14:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks