Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2024, 21:22   #17551
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Just saw a note in Cricinfo that Gautam Gambhir has been appointed head coach of the Indian men's team until the end of 2027 World Cup. I don't see that anywhere else though.
From the man himself, I see interesting times ahead and may be some spiced up stories as well going forward.

The Cricket Thread-img_5193.jpeg
Old 9th July 2024, 21:32   #17552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
From the man himself, I see interesting times ahead and may be some spiced up stories as well going forward.
I feel it’s a poor decision, all the strong headed guys in the past who have coached the Indian cricket team have been terrible. Generally soft guys like wright, Kirsten, Shastri, fletcher, dravid took the team ahead without much controversies. We need “Yes Man” types unlike chappel/kumble and now Gambhir. Fingers crossed though !
NomadSK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 02:51   #17553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I feel it’s a poor decision, all the strong headed guys in the past who have coached the Indian cricket team have been terrible. Generally soft guys like wright, Kirsten, Shastri, fletcher, dravid took the team ahead without much controversies. We need “Yes Man” types unlike chappel/kumble and now Gambhir. Fingers crossed though !
Hard disagree.
Shastri by no means was a soft coach. People often make memes about his drinking habits while conveniently forgetting he has won 2 BGT series in Australia which no other coach has ever done. And second one was with a pure B team due to injuries. Even Kirsten just because he is soft spoken isn't a soft coach. Look at the report he has submitted to PCB condemning so much wrong with Pak team with their t20 World cup debacle. Dravid is a thorough professional who has always demanded the highest standards from the team. No way he was a soft coach or a YES man from any angle.

Likewise Gautam Gambhir has a champion mentality. He has always stressed on winning trophies than individual glories or celebrating celebrity culture instead of team performance. I am quite optimistic about his tenure. Has already made a good change of bringing Abhishek Nayar as batting coach instead of Vikram Rathour who was always useless.

Last edited by harry10 : 10th July 2024 at 02:53.
Old 10th July 2024, 09:23   #17554
Senior - BHPian

Vinay Kumar might be added as bowling coach. Let's see how that works.

Jonty Rhodes as fielding coach might work out too. I have seen lot of great fielders in my lifetime but Jonty has always been number 1 for me since I saw his 1992 Inzamam run out and a spectacular catch he took of Sachin in a game which was abandoned due to rain. I couldn't believe someone could field like that because in 90's fielding wasn't a top priority and Jonty was one of major reasons it became one. Jonty named his daughter 'India' because of his attachment to our country so I do have high hopes for his stint if it happens. Gambhir worked with him at LSG so I am sure it will happen.

Dilip did a great job with the team and his fielding medal presentation in both world cups were a joy. Hope he gets a good ipl gig soon.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 09:39   #17555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Yes I feel this might go the Kumble way unless Ro and Kohli and other seniors slowly retire.
Old 10th July 2024, 09:44   #17556
Distinguished - BHPian

What a person Rahul Dravid is!

Since he started his career, he was my favorite batsman. His selfless acts for the team by putting others first was always lauded by most cricket followers. He sets another example by returning half of his bonus saying that he deserves only as much as other coaching staff in the squad. Other coaching staff were awarded Rs. 2.5 cr as bonus for the feat of winning the world cup and the head coach, Dravid was offered Rs. 5 cr. He has asked BCCI to reduce his cash reward to Rs. 2.5 crore too as he didn't want to get more money in comparison to the batting, bowling, and fielding coaches.

We don't get to see such simplicity and generosity these days.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/rahu...dtv_topstories

Last edited by saket77 : 10th July 2024 at 09:47.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 09:48   #17557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Yes I feel this might go the Kumble way unless Ro and Kohli and other seniors slowly retire.
While I have my doubts about GG's attitude (he is still carrying a grudge for not getting enough adulation in 2007 & 2011 while comfortably taking credit for KKRs victory); I am sure it will not go the Kumble way.

Kohli is in the later half of his career and nowhere as hot headed and in his prime as he was during Kumble's tenure.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 10:54   #17558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
While I have my doubts about GG's attitude
Honestly, I don't get all the hype around Gambhir. It seems carefully created by PR and Shah Rukh Khan. Also, Gambhir's conduct, both as a player and then as mentor/coach, has been quite questionable.

With most senior players out / in the twilight of their careers, Gambhir will become the towering figure in a dressing room full of youngsters.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:30   #17559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Kohli is in the later half of his career and nowhere as hot headed and in his prime as he was during Kumble's tenure.
It's not Gambir-Kohli, I am more interested in how's gonna work out between Jay shah and Gambhir
Old 10th July 2024, 13:17   #17560
Distinguished - BHPian

Fun part is there was no other person who applied for the role, that said let us see how team will work along with Gautam. He is definitely poles apart from Dravid, but if India had lost the WC final, or rather SA had not lost the WC final, we would all be rooting for him today.

I am pretty hopeful of a good stint, Rohit and Kohli are left to play in One major ICC tournament and at best two if we qualify for WTC final. He can hence forth mould the team and make them more head strong. It was eventually Gautam who top scored in both T20 Final and ODI final, he has the mentality of champion. His grudge of not being well recognised for both those victories is not entirely misplaced.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 14:11   #17561
BHPian

I'm optimistic about GG's appointment as head coach. He has been incredibly critical of the superstar culture in Indian cricket, and it would be a terrific legacy to leave, if he can put an end to it. Won't be an easy job, with every player having fan bases and PR agencies backing them. Gambhir himself has this image of being a perennially annoyed & overtly critical guy, although Ashwin has said on his YouTube channel that Gambhir is a very misunderstood personality.

As a player, GG had limited ability, but managed to be effective when it mattered the most as his performances in 2 world Cup finals and fighting hundreds in NZ & SA would attest. If he can inculcate similar mental strength in our youngsters, I think we could possibly even reach the heights of early 2000's Australia!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Likewise Gautam Gambhir has a champion mentality. He has always stressed on winning trophies than individual glories or celebrating celebrity culture instead of team performance.
Exactly! Also Harry, I recently read about Sonnet Cricket club in Delhi that has produced guys like Mayank Yadav & Harshit Rana. Apparently Kamlesh Nagarkoti & Navdeep Saini also came from there. Seems like that club has a number of good fast bowling prospects. I've read previously you're active on the Delhi club cricket scene, would love if you could give us more information about what's cooking at Sonnet
Old 10th July 2024, 14:27   #17562
BHPian

I don't give two hoots about GG's personality, tiffs with Kohli, attitude, mentality and other jargon. As long as he wins ICC tournaments and against big teams (BGT, Tests against Eng, SA, NZ at home and away).

We have the following ICC events till 2027 (end of his contract).
1. 2025: Champions Trophy
2. 2025: WTC
3. 2026: T20 WC
4. 2027: ODI WC
5. 2027: WTC

As long as he wins even 3 out of 5 above (esp. considering we have a really solid team and have broken the finals' mental shackles), I'm for giving him all the rope he wants.
But if we crash out of Champions Trophy 2025 anything before SF, and fail to reach minimum of SF of T20 WC 2026, I'd sack him.
Old 10th July 2024, 14:46   #17563
BHPian

Has GG ever been a coach? If I remember correctly he was always in mentor role in DC, Lucknow and KKR. If we look beyond the social media praises in last IPL, KKR had pretty solid coaching setup with their head coach leading Madhya Pradesh to Ranji title. Being a mentor and head coach are two different things. But again in international setup coach doesn't have that much control so it might be similar to mentor role and this might workout well.
Old 10th July 2024, 16:44   #17564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
It's not Gambir-Kohli, I am more interested in how's gonna work out between Jay shah and Gambhir
Good point. End of day it should not become like Greg Chappel or Anil Kumble’s tenure as coach. IPL has different dynamics and yearly adventure with time to prepare and work through. Here we will have back to back series, work load management and selectors cooperation will play important roles
Old 10th July 2024, 19:30   #17565
BHPian

Interesting batting order in today’s match:
Abhishek sent at number 3 with Gill and Jaiswal opening the innings.

Also in this match and last match, we are going with 4 regular bowlers only. Against Zim it may work out, but no idea what the management thinking with this approach as we seriously lacks a 5th bowler allrounder spot.

Last edited by rx100 : 10th July 2024 at 19:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks