Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2023, 13:13   #16771
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
Any idea why this particular world cup is being held during this part of the year. Usually it is during March/April or in May/June. The previous world cup in India was also held around March.
Covid, so the ODI super league and qualifiers got delayed and ended only in May 2023. And that too with multiple series getting cancelled or forfeited.

One reason why the super league has now been scrapped for the next world cup cycle.

Ideally could have held in Feb/Mar 2024 but that gets too close to the T20 World cup I suppose.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 20:54   #16772
BHPian

It’s really harsh from selectors to ignore Sanju for Aus series. I can’t understand why a guy averaging 55 at 104 SR is not considered to be good enough, while another with an average of 24 is expected to win many games for us.
Old 19th September 2023, 22:42   #16773
Distinguished - BHPian

Even bigger stupidity is resting players just before the last series of the world cup, this is just crazy how much rest is needed for professional cricketers and that to just before world cup.

Last edited by AtheK : 19th September 2023 at 22:47.
Old 20th September 2023, 13:33   #16774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Covid, so the ODI super league and qualifiers got delayed and ended only in May 2023. And that too with multiple series getting cancelled or forfeited.

One reason why the super league has now been scrapped for the next world cup cycle.

Ideally could have held in Feb/Mar 2024 but that gets too close to the T20 World cup I suppose.
IPL.

IPL dictates most of the cricketing calender and as it is such a revenue generating machine most cricket boards have to accede.

This world cup could witness a few matches being interrupted by unseasonal rains. Last year it rained in December too, even if for a couple of days.

Ideally it should have been from mid January to early March to eschew the climatic vagaries.
That leaves the April - May window for the IPL intact.

Let's hope India gets to play all it's matches without any rain interruption. The least this Indian team could do is reach the last 4. Then it's anyone's cup.

Jingoism aside, I don't see the home team reaching the finals.

England, on current blazing form, is my favorite to reach the final.
Aloneatma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 14:10   #16775
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
It’s really harsh from selectors to ignore Sanju for Aus series.
Unfortunately Samson is neither part of Australia series nor Asian Games! He isn't even playing County cricket. Surely he isn't this bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Even bigger stupidity is resting players just before the last series of the world cup, this is just crazy how much rest is needed for professional cricketers and that to just before world cup.
In hindsight, its the correct call I feel! Team went into the Asia Cup with a lot of unanswered questions. Right now barring Iyer's match fitness most of the questions have been answered. This Australia series looks needless now. Also you wouldn't want your key players getting injured!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 19:41   #16776
Senior - BHPian

Coach Dravid receives a lot of flak for the team's performance. How about cutting some slack after the Asia Cup win?
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 22:14   #16777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Why is Kohli resting. Bowlers I can still get behind because there workload needs to be managed. But Kohli has barely played 4-5 odis in last 3 months. He needs to stay in groove as he is a confidence player.

And what is SKY doing in the team again. His batting against spin in Bangladesh match was atrocious. Sweeping each and every ball for no good reason. He simply isn't adjusting to ODI format as he is finding it difficult to pace the innings where defense and attack both needs precision. He needs to learn from Kohli how to pace an ODI innings. So much talent and he is wasting it even after getting undeserving chances again and again. I hope if he gets a chance to Bat he does some wonder.
Old 20th September 2023, 23:16   #16778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Bowlers I can still get behind because there workload needs to be managed.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why risk Bumrah, Siraj etc. They are in form basis the Asia Cup final.

The Aussies do not need to be given additional matches to get accustomed to them too before the actual WC face off.
Old 21st September 2023, 11:12   #16779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloneatma View Post
I don't see the home team reaching the finals.
By merit, India would not even cross group stage. But you can expect off field drama, reserve days conjured out of nowhere to make sure semi of final berth is confirmed. Even if we lose the knockout stage, it won't be a tearjerkers or burning stadiums like the 1996 World Cup.

Seeing India on the top spot in the WTC points table playing against a team which did not even reach World Cup Qualifier, while 2 teams were fist fighting for the series, and yet were docked points. Am sure we'll be in the knockout stage, even if the septuagenarian Sunny Gavaskar is in the playing 11.

Quote:
This world cup could witness a few matches being interrupted by unseasonal rains.
October to December is season on the eastern coast. You can expect few Madras, Calcutta and possibly Bangalore matches to be affected. Extreme cases, Bombay and Ahmedabad too if storms survive into the Arabian sea.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:04   #16780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

October to December is season on the eastern coast. You can expect few Madras, Calcutta and possibly Bangalore matches to be affected. Extreme cases, Bombay and Ahmedabad too if storms survive into the Arabian sea.
Only in TN coast though. Not in Orissa or WB
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:10   #16781
BHPian

Quote:
By merit, India would not even cross group stage. But you can expect off field drama, reserve days conjured out of nowhere to make sure semi of final berth is confirmed. Even if we lose the knockout stage, it won't be a tearjerkers or burning stadiums like the 1996 World Cup.
I am not really sure what you were trying to say here. Like, adding a reserve day helps the Indian team play better somehow? Or, are you suggesting that BCCI, with its monetary power, somehow will ensure that results are in India's favor, even though we lack the merit and skills?

I, for one, believe that India is peaking at the right moment and probably are favorite to make the semi-finals.
Bhargav7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:29   #16782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seeing India on the top spot in the WTC points table playing against a team which did not even reach World Cup Qualifier, while 2 teams were fist fighting for the series, and yet were docked points. Am sure we'll be in the knockout stage, even if the septuagenarian Sunny Gavaskar is in the playing 11.

This isn't Asia cup that reserve days will magically appear. This is ICC WORLD CUP. Everything is managed by ICC including pitch preparations.

Your post is simply implying BCCI buys the knockout stages with their money and power. Do let me know in which world cup it ever happened. We haven't won any since 2011 and in 2007 we didn't even make it out of league stage. So, if bcci has so much influence why haven't we won a single ICC trophy since 2013 champions trophy?

Your post is simply degrading the efforts of players and staff members. ICC trophies are won on merit. India plays good they win otherwise they don't. It's as simple as that. I see them peaking at the right time and I am sure they will atleast make the semis.

Do you even know how WTC points are calculated? Please do some research why those teams were docked points to get a clear picture. It's absolutely transparent.
harry10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:56   #16783
Team-BHP Support

Interesting playing 11 today. Only 5 bowlers and too including Shardul Thakur. None of the others can even bowl a single over.

Thank God that we won the toss, else defending any total would have been tough.

@narayans80: I think you are too cynical mate. There are limits; even to what BCCI can do/influence

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd September 2023 at 13:57.
Old 22nd September 2023, 15:26   #16784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Interesting playing 11 today. Only 5 bowlers and too including Shardul Thakur. None of the others can even bowl a single over.

Thank God that we won the toss, else defending any total would have been tough.

@narayans80: I think you are too cynical mate. There are limits; even to what BCCI can do/influence
And Shardul is already injured/unwell. I expect Iyer to bowl his quota if Thakur doesn't returns to bowl.

Could have played Sundar instead of SKY. This only 5 bowler strategy won't work in World cup.
Old 22nd September 2023, 15:36   #16785
Team-BHP Support

Not sure about Iyer, with his sensitive back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks