Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 16:46   #811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

I caught this when i was looking at some threads at TBHP from before we were born!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post263606

Havent seen this here, and looked shareworthy, since its buried on some 200-250 threads.
Old 13th September 2011, 15:29   #812
Team-BHP Support

Here is a super funny comment from a colleague I overheard today suggesting another one to buy a sedan in the 9-10 lacs range.

Buyer : "I am confused as to which sedan to go for. I am deciding between Honda city and Vento. I like SUVs but cant afford Safari or Scorpio"

Advisor : "If you like SUVs, buy Maruti SX4. It not only looks tough, it is the only sedan in India to have 4x4 capability". The '4' in 'SX4' indicates the presence of 4X4.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 16:48   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyuck. I can imagine that dude walking into the showroom and asking when the SX2 variant will be launched (4X2)!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 16:57   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
This one is fresh out of the oven. As I type this, a couple of engineers are discussing cars (and I am obviously eavesdropping).

Engineer 1 - Ye Zxi / Zdi version in dzire is rubbish.
Engineer 2 - Why?
Engineer 1 - Nonsense features it has, useless.
Engineer 2 - Nahi yaar, airbags n ABS it has.
Engineer 1 - All this is faaltu. Ye sab gaadi wo lete hain jo naya naya gaadi chalaana seekhte hain. Kahin kisi ko ye na bolna pade ki arrey meri gaadi mein xyz feature nahi hai and they feel bad.
(Translation:
All this is rubbish. Only people who are new to driving buy these feature loaded cars so that they do not feel ashamed in front of others that their car does not have xyz features).
Engineer 2 - Hmmmmmm, then why not Lxi, why Vxi?
Engineer 1 - Yaar lxi is like a tape recorder. vxi is cd player. Now in today's times, you must have CD player na?
Engineer 2 - Hmmmmmmmm

Me - &

Engineer 1 owns a Swift Dzire vxi.
Engineer 1 believes Ambassador (followed very closely by JEEPS) to be the safest vehichle on god's green earth.

'Nuff said.
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacck

So, Delhi NCR received a fair bit of rainfall over the last few days.

Mr Engineer 1 walks up to me to talk about how "stuppidd Delli peepal" drive in rains.

His pearls (rather perils) of wisdom - "yaar it is raining heavily and people are bloody driving at 50 - 60 kmph and they do not even have their hazard lights on. I said to hell with it. I drive at 25 - 30 in the right lane and put on my hazard lights. Jisko marna hai jaa ke maro".

Its quite ridiculous what we "think" is correct without the faintest clue of what is actually correct.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 13th September 2011 at 17:00.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 23:50   #815
Team-BHP Support

I've noticed that several people consider white cars as taxis, even without knowing what car it is. My mother and father think that white is a colour only meant for a cab.

The other day, I spotted a nicely souped-up white Civic in front of us, complete with spoiler, skirts and fat exhaust at the back. I made a comment on it. I must have said something in the lines of "that is a good looking and tastefully modified Civic, there" and my mother said "all it's missing is a yellow number plate!" (!)

Needless to say, I was

And here is another one:

ABS and Airbags are important only if you do high speeds regularly! I just kept quiet and chose to remain like that.

And another one:

What exactly is 4X4? When I tried explaining it to a friend who asked me this question, and I started by saying "It means that the car is driven by four wheels" and he automatically assumed that all four wheels of the car turn in the direction according to the amount of steering you dial-in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Here is a super funny comment from a colleague I overheard today suggesting another one to buy a sedan in the 9-10 lacs range.

Buyer : "I am confused as to which sedan to go for. I am deciding between Honda city and Vento. I like SUVs but cant afford Safari or Scorpio"

Advisor : "If you like SUVs, buy Maruti SX4. It not only looks tough, it is the only sedan in India to have 4x4 capability". The '4' in 'SX4' indicates the presence of 4X4.
There is this friend of mine who is pretty well informed when it comes to automobiles, but he was under the same impression. After much googling and browsing through the back end of the Overdrive magazine (the car buyer's guide), he was finally convinced!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th September 2011 at 23:55.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 02:21   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

One of my cousin's relatives were asking him about the new car that Maruti had launched. they didn't know what it was called, except that it had 'Anchu gunam naalu' (Malayalam for 'five into four') written at the rear!
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 18:08   #817
Senior - BHPian

Two things I heard recently:

One friend was talking about the Dodger he rented when he was in US (I guess he meant Dodge, perhaps the Challenger by his description): "It was so powerful because it has a V6 engine; let me explain: Indica is V2 engine, similarly this is V6 engine so you can imagine.".

Another, yesterday - in Coorg we were taking the jeep back to the main road from Abbi falls: One friend points to the 4wd shifter and asks what is tis. This guy says, "This is 4 wheel drive vehicle. So one gear is for first two wheels and the other gear is for another 2 wheels.".
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 18:56   #818
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Actual incident with some well-known media people, so please excuse me for skipping the names

Scene : At the middle point of a long press drive, all of us have gathered for lunch.

4 of us walk into the restaurant together; me, another expert reviewer from another website (lets call him Mr. X), and two news channel female reviewers (the one in question is Ms. Y). I'm damn hungry, and literally dive into the pizza on our table without uttering a word.

Mr. X : So, how did you like the car?

Ms. Y : Awesome. The diesel engine is so good...very powerful. It makes some noise when I "race" it, but it feels really nice.

Mr. X : What rpm did you touch?

Ms. Y : I crossed 6,500

Mr. X : Which diesel car do you know that revvs to 6,500 rpms? YOU WERE DRIVING THE PETROL!! I KNOW BECAUSE I'M SHARING THE CAR WITH YOU.

It's bad manners I know, but the Pizza like fell out of my mouth and on my plate. That girl was really embarrassed and didn't know where to hide. But get this : She's a professional reviewer for a news channel and, after driving the car for 150 kms, she didn't even know what fuel it uses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
A couple of years ago, while we waited for all pax to board the bus after the 10 minute halt, I asked a Shivneri driver if he liked to use cruise control.

He walked 10 feet towards the bus, lit a cigarette, put on hand on the bus, legs crossed, looked at me and said "this bus is electronics".

Aalok
Too good man, too good. You are a born story teller (in a good way BTW)
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 19:10   #819
Senior - BHPian

A couple of sundays back I went to a force dealer in chandigarh to check out the gong dong ding dong foday explorer 3. Surprised to see the vehicle not in display. Was informed that it would come in october. balked at the price of 12.10 OTR approx.

There I came to know about its proper features and was shocked to see the absence of ABS and airbags in the torn and tattered sales brochure. Asked the sales person on whats the reason for the same and got this rude shock:

Sir, the ABS is not at all required in this vehicle. You know that we have improved the brake booster and it has 4 piston calipers and bigger rear black solid discs. (actually it has drums)

Why no airbags? Sir, whats the point? we have improved the safety of the seatbelt in this vehicle...I mean the seatbelt mechanism does not require the airbags for this...

I was like....just walked away pretending to be on a phone call.

But the experiance at the delhi TAPL force dealer last weekend was fantastic. They handled the questions well and informed that the company is working well on this and will be launching the same next year.

Last edited by sidindica : 28th September 2011 at 19:12.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:17   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I think sales reps are trained to come up with "creative" answers to what they perceive are annoying questions from customers. It's a game of statistics after all: most customers would probably accept an answer like that at face value.

When I was booking my Vento, I was hellbent on an AT and complaining to the SR about VW missing a great market opportunity by not launching the TDI AT. His response: But sir, diesel toh aapko highway pe kaam aayegi aur AT se aapko city mein phayda hogaa ("You'll get the benefit of the diesel on highways and AT will help you in the city"). I did a , wondered if I should ask him about booking a diesel as well, then kept my mouth shut and quietly opened my chequebook.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:36   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
But sir, diesel toh aapko highway pe kaam aayegi aur AT se aapko city mein phayda hogaa ("You'll get the benefit of the diesel on highways and AT will help you in the city")
In fact noop, for an aam aadmi, that is quite a logic. I'm impressed!!.. I'm sure he must sell a lot of cars..
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 19:39   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In fact noop, for an aam aadmi, that is quite a logic. I'm impressed!!.. I'm sure he must sell a lot of cars..
at a very macro level, he is correct, aint he?
Old 28th September 2011, 20:15   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Absolutely! That's what I meant when I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ I think sales reps are trained to come up with "creative" answers to what they perceive are annoying questions from customers. It's a game of statistics after all: most customers would probably accept an answer like that at face value.
He was right since most "average" people have an either/or usage pattern (business travellers doing long distance trips in frugal diesels, for example, or city commuters pottering about in their 1 litre petrol engines).
But we are all petrolheads here .
Old 28th September 2011, 21:23   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actual incident with some well-known media people, so please excuse me for skipping the names
Ha ha nice one. I can very well see who this Ms Y is and which channel it is. But since you refrained from naming I will too
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:41   #825
BHPian

Went to Karnal Motors workshop where my Zen was getting serviced. The person who is supposed to supervise the SAs comes upto me and we had a brief chat.
This guy told me that he was fond of superbikes and right now he has a Suzuki superbike. I was amazed and my mind started contemplating which Suzuki model he would be riding. Pat came the reply - "Sirjee!!!Suzuki GS150...Aha...Nazaare aa jaate hain ji!!!". I winked away and thought he must have started learning superbike riding on Luna then...LOLzzz
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks