Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 12:35   #721
BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
We have a presentation on every alternate Friday, where any 3 employees can present on some topic of his/her choice for 10-15 minutes. Today, one guy's slides were on "Super cars". Some of his interesting findings:
1. All Supercars are turbocharged and supercharged
2. All Supercars have V8 engines
3. Power ranges from 560bhp to 750bhp
4. Wheels are always made of Magnesium
He'd identified top 5 super cars. Bugatti Veyron is on top, with 1001bhp and 258mph. He doesn't know that the Veyron SS churns out 1200bhp. Next to the Veyron is the Porsche 997, with I don't know how, 1400bhp. Third is the Lamborghini Murcielago LP560-4. Fourth is McLaren F1, and it has a turbo and supercharger. Fifth was the Ford GT-40. Top speeds were ranging from 209mph to 258mph (that is somewhat right)

I was trying hard not to laugh for the entire ten minutes...
I think he meant the 9FF Porsche 997 (or was it the GT9-R)? It produced over 1100bhp and could top 414km/h.

Porsche 9FF GT9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 21st May 2011, 13:12   #722
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I knew he meant the GT9, but showing the pic of a 997 and saying 997 amounts to blunder. I think i should've recorded the audio, would've been interesting
Old 21st May 2011, 14:08   #723
BHPian

Well assuming that the sales staff of a HM dealership is not a "petrol head" owing to the fact that its only diesel taxis that he manages to sell :

sales staff : " sir, suzuki engine wala gaadi mein hi A.C. accha rehta hain" (Translated : The amby with the suzuki engine only has good A.C.)

me : "come again" (presuming he wanted to say "Isuzu ki")

sales staff : "Sir, Suzuki company ka engine, both petrol and diesel sir"

me : ohh! thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:42   #724
BANNED

Yesterday had been to Lathangi Ford for Figo's test drive. When i sat in the rear seat, i asked the sales person that why didn't it have power windows?? He answered "Sir, for safety!! Children might get hurt so ford has taken care of that!!
I was like "ok fine, so you mean other car makers are not concerned??"
He replied "Ford is the best car maker in the world!!"
Me: OK good-good!!

I almost forgot why we had been to the showroom!!
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:17   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Third is the Lamborghini Murcielago LP560-4
More than the Porsche blunder, since when did Lambo begin selling a Murcielago 560-4
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:34   #726
Senior - BHPian

Years ago, when I told my mom that the Hyundai Elantra had soft touch plastics on the dashboard, she immediately asked me with a shocked reaction on her face, " Wont it break when high pressure is applied on it?"
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:50   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Do me a favor mate. Take the car out on the expressway with him riding shotgun. Find a fairly empty spot, go pedal to the metal and once you are doing triple digits ..... slam the brakes and watch him fly into the windscreen. This look on his face = priceless.
I love my windscreen as well! But yes, I will once take his own other car (which by the way is a skoda) and do this stunt. Dont want to injure him though.

Another latest from the same person - "why do you want to buy an expensive helmet, it is cheaper to take patela (metal vessel) from juna bazaar and line it with foam. Police will not catch you because you are wearing helmet!
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:12   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I love my windscreen as well! But yes, I will once take his own other car (which by the way is a skoda) and do this stunt. Dont want to injure him though.

Another latest from the same person - "why do you want to buy an expensive helmet, it is cheaper to take patela (metal vessel) from juna bazaar and line it with foam. Police will not catch you because you are wearing helmet!
Guess he needs a bike ride too now!
When the Honda SE told my dad that the NHC came with the ids-i engine with twin spark plugs, my dad was real quick in asking, "Does that mean when one fails, the other would take over?" This had me bursting into laughter and the sales person wondering what to say
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:06   #729

My office colleague once asked our driver if the car came with 'balloons' for protection during accidents.
The driver replied that air bags were standard in that car
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:30   #730
Team-BHP Support

Just remembered these 2 incidences :

1) My first close encounter (where I got to see a car in my own compound) was when I went to my uncle's place after he'd just bought a pre-owned Premier Padmini. It was of immense pride for me when he asked to fill water in the radiator while he cranked the engine. I must've been 6 then.

A year later we bought a M800 and in the first few days when we were going out, I told my dad "You start the engine, I'll fill the radiator with water". He shrieked at first later he explained that M800 had a special coolant in the radiator. The next time I met my uncle, I was like, "our car doesn't need water, it has a special fluid"!

2) After the first wash I gave our M800, I filled a bucket and was just about to splash it on the front grill (with the intent of "washing the engine") when my dad stopped me. It took him quite some time to convince me the engine shouldn't be washed that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
When I was a kid, my best friend was the only boy I knew who had a car- his Dad is a doctor. I had a T-shirt with (of all things) "First Gear" emblazoned on it. So one day when we were playing, my friend claimed that he was second gear (or third or fourth, doesn't matter) and that he was "superior" to me, since I was only first gear.
Looks like we're the only two having a laugh at our own selves.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd May 2011 at 23:32.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:34   #731
Senior - BHPian

A colleague saw me surfing this website, asked me about it, and then concluded that I was "interested in cars".

So far so good.

He then asked - Wagon-R, I have seen some badged "Duo" - what is dual about it? Does it have both manual and automatic transmission?

And I was thinking - Please God, can you give me a car with DSG for 5 lakhs OTR?
Old 26th May 2011, 17:15   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
what is dual about it? Does it have both manual and automatic transmission?
You're making that up! Nobody can be that stupid .

Can they?
Old 26th May 2011, 17:20   #733
Senior - BHPian

My investment banker friend (in s'pore) bought an Audi A5 convertible about 7-8 months ago. He was telling me (over the phone) about the car after he had got his booking done.

He: (talking excitedly - something like this) It's awesome. It has ... (this and that) and it has the quattro engine!

Me: Idiot! that's not the engine. It's Audi's 4 wheel drive system.

I guess that was only thing that made me laugh else I was just jealous
Old 26th May 2011, 17:29   #734
Senior - BHPian

Heres another incident.

I had given my car for the 1st free servicing. Here I was, explaning to the (so called) engineer, as to what all needs to be done.
Another smart alec? standing nearby just pops in, points to the TBHP sticker and asks me if I have increased the BHP on the car.
I tell him the fact that its not been done, but he's adamant and insists that Ive actually increased the BHP, hence voiding my warranty!

His logic - Woh sticker se pata chalta hai ki aapne BHP badhaya hain!
(Eng- That sticker is proof that you have actually increased the BHP) .

(Oh BTW, this gentleman was not even working in the workshop, just some random bloke who had got his boss's car for servicing!).
Old 26th May 2011, 17:53   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Another smart alec? standing nearby just pops in, points to the TBHP sticker and asks me if I have increased the BHP on the car.
His logic - Woh sticker se pata chalta hai ki aapne BHP badhaya hain!
(Eng- That sticker is proof that you have actually increased the BHP) .

(Oh BTW, this gentleman was not even working in the workshop, just some random bloke who had got his boss's car for servicing!).
Typical Pune bystander special comment (vishesh tipanni!)
I would have loved to see your reaction; what did you do/ say?

What will happen when he sees the LTD sticker on my car; what would I have increased - Life or Drive?!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks