Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:47   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
'Das auto' is german for 'The car' - two of the initial words I leart while learning German. The emphasis is on Das - that Volkswagen is The car. There is nothing quirky in that IMO!
Not quirky in countries where people are familiar with the German language. But in India?!

Anyway, I guess we have had discussions on this in another thread :-)
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:15   #572
BHPian

Here is a gem of an 'enlightenment':

I read sometime back that one Mr. Nitin Das of Kolkata sued VW India for copyright infringement. Mr. Das had an auto repair shop for quite a while going by the name "Das Auto." When Mr. Das saw VW's advertisements carrying the tagline, he was infuriated.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:11   #573
BHPian

While in Muscat a newly joined colleague had asked me: Is "Das Auto" is the dealer for VW in Muscat also? (seeing a VW paper ad)

He had probably thought that "Das Auto" is the dealer for VW (in India?).
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:47   #574
Senior - BHPian

Nothing wrong there!! it is a wrong decision by VW to use those 'punch line'

Why to blame people for that. FYI we have thousands of 'DAS AUTOs' all over the country before VW/POLOs arrival. We dont advertise that, who is VW to say that they have the real DAS AUTO and all others are not genuine!!
Old 27th September 2010, 11:15   #575
BANNED

There isn't any Nitin Das and nobody sued VW for 'Das Auto', because the news is here <<<Volkswagen sued by an Indian for copyright infringement | Faking News>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Here is a gem of an 'enlightenment':

I read sometime back that one Mr. Nitin Das of Kolkata sued VW India for copyright infringement. Mr. Das had an auto repair shop for quite a while going by the name "Das Auto." When Mr. Das saw VW's advertisements carrying the tagline, he was infuriated.

Last edited by diabloo : 27th September 2010 at 11:17.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:25   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
There isn't any Nitin Das and nobody sued VW for 'Das Auto', because the news is here <<<Volkswagen sued by an Indian for copyright infringement | Faking News>>>
Good research diabloo. However, the fake news does not make the relevance of the "Das Auto" quandry any lesser. Even if there were no cases filed against VW, still this was good publicity for VW. Strange how one sentence in Deutsche can evoke different images in Germany and India. Nonetheless, VW wanted its much needed publicity
Old 28th September 2010, 10:09   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
It used to happen in Jawa and Yezdi if double decompression kicks where not done. There used to be a trick to start these bikes
When I was learning to kick-start Yezdis (still can't get it right in the first go), my uncle had said: "It's not about force, it's about technique".

This reminds of a hilarious incident in the Hindi Movie "Chashme Buddoor". Ravi Baswani refuses to give a lift to Farooque Sheikh (it's Farooque's bike!) because he's in a hurry and can't wait for Sheikh to come downstairs. Sheikh says something like "jaao jaao, tumhe to badi jaldi hai, na!". When Sheikh comes down, Baswani has still not managed to start the bike. Sheikh starts the bike in one go, and they go off.

The scene where the thin Baswani is jumping on the kick starter is just brilliant! RIP Ravi Baswani!
Old 28th September 2010, 23:20   #578
BHPian

Though not from my friend but the following comment, rather an answer to someone's query is funny. It happened that i was checking my mails and saw a maruti advertisement and landed up on

marutisuzukionroadsafety.com in their Q&A section

A guy had asked: "How does Turbocharger work in Ritz Diesel? I own 1 so asking."

And he got the following reply:- Turbo charger is a oil, which circulates into the engine. You get the extra pickup above 2000 rpm. Never abruptly switch off the engine after a long drive, As it damages turbo charger. Wait for 1 min & then switch off the engine.

Though the latter part is correct but after the first sentence I was and then
Old 30th October 2010, 16:09   #579
BHPian

Read this comment in a blog.

European cars are notorious to have the highest defects in comparison to American and Asian brands.

(Am not sure if it's quirky enough to be posted here - what's your opinion guys?)
Old 30th October 2010, 20:04   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Read this comment in a blog.

European cars are notorious to have the highest defects in comparison to American and Asian brands.

(Am not sure if it's quirky enough to be posted here - what's your opinion guys?)

That's true right? the Japanese cars like toyota and honda and even maruti suzuki are known to be more reliable/trouble free than their german counterparts like Skoda(Czech), Mercedes et all who are prone to quite a few electronic/mechanical failures within the first few ownerships
I don't own a european car, my views are just based on the knowledge i've gained on this forum
nothing against european cars either, I'd anyday driver a BMW over a honda/toyota
Old 30th October 2010, 22:13   #581
BHPian

Best I have come across

I overheard this at office (Can't help eavesdropping when hear the word car)

Two Colleagues having discussion:

1st Guy to 2nd: What is power of your car? (The car in question is Swift Petrol)
Answer: it must be more than 3000cc as my car can do 150KMPH. Even a Enfield is 800cc

I was like , and since when engine power is measured in CC.

Second Incident: Me and a friend drove to Goa. When reached back to Bangalore, he asked me how much fuel did it take, I just said 2 fuel tanks (did not mention the volume in Liters or cost of fuel.).

Immediately he replies, I (he) will also buy a diesel car as we can come do return journey from Bangalore to Goa in 2 fuel tanks.

I was , fuel tanks come in different size
Old 31st October 2010, 16:31   #582
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine was talking to me about the recent VW Vento talking ad in papers. In between, he said, "You know, Das Auto is the only dealer in the whole country"

I asked him to go to translate.google.com and see the translation for Das Auto. He saw the result for himself
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2010, 16:44   #583
BHPian

Back in '95 I became the proud owner of a Suzuki Shogun. I got comments on the lines of 'Good lord, why do you need such a powerful bike?', 'Dont you feel 14bhp is too much power' and 'Why do you need such a large engine? A CD100 would suffice.'
All this because it was 108cc & 14bhp
Old 31st October 2010, 16:52   #584
Senior - BHPian

Another one. I took our M800 to the Maruti ASC and told a mechanic about my intention to fit an FFE. His reaction: FFE would decrease the mileage. It's only adding a muffler chamber near the tailpipe. Not worth paying for.

Yet another one. I was at the cafeteria near the parking lot, with a colleague. We saw a CB Unicorn Dazzler. My friend noticed that it had disc brakes at the rear too. His comment: This bike is very dangerous. See, it's got only discs. You'll be thrown out if you press the brake even subtly
Old 31st October 2010, 19:04   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
My friend noticed that it had disc brakes at the rear too. His comment: This bike is very dangerous. See, it's got only discs. You'll be thrown out if you press the brake even subtly
Discs do provide much better stopping power, but then, for someone not used to it, it may prove to be dangerous on surfaces with little traction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks