XX: You should get NOSSS!!!
Old 30th August 2010, 03:24   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
XX: does your car have NOSSS?
Me: Nope , its turbocharged!
XX: You should get NOSSS!!!
Once people realise that you are really into cars, this is guaranteed to be in the top 3 of their first round of questions with relation to cars & your car in general

The worst part is that they think its a permanent mod like an FFE. Mostly due to video games in which your "NOS" or "Turbo-boost", etc. do not get over & get recharged instantly within the same race.

A personal incident which comes directly into my head regarding the first & also the holy grail of performance mods in a layman's eyes:

After a quick tour of my car & it's basic mods (FFE & Spark Plugs are the only mechanical mods)
XX - Must be going really fast now.
Me - Not a drastic difference in performance from stock but yes, due to the FFE, drivability has improved & performance is up, but only just.
XX - You know, since your so into this stuff, you should get NOS. In fact, im suprised you dont already have it!
Me - Are you kidding? NOS is at a much later stage of modifications & anyhow, what will i do with NOS?
A basic explaination about it later i get to the bottom line - Practicality.
"Even if i got it installed, where would i use it in Mumbai? And also as important, for what purpose?"

XX changes the topic as he did not understand a word i said apart from the term "NOS" which im sure he only knows the term & not what it actually is or does.
Im pretty tired by now, so decide to just leave it at that
Old 30th August 2010, 04:29   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

In olden days, one of my classmates who had a brochure of an MB, (I think its an 'E', Im not sure about the model as he wouldn't show it to me), claims that to enquire about an MB you need to show your Income Certificate.

I thought my nostalgic memory would fit in this thread. I'm sure you guys must have heard even more ridiculous comments in your school life.
Old 30th August 2010, 07:12   #469
Senior - BHPian

in 1999 when i was in school, we were playing general knowledge game in the class. one guy asked a question ' which is the no. 1 car in the world' and the other guy replied...SANTRO!!!! hahah. that time there were only three hot selling cars in india. Santro, Indica and Matiz.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:21   #470
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A neighbour who owns a Honda Accord, refers it as Hundaa Ekkad.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:14   #471
LNK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
A friend commented today:

"When reversing a car just after starting (say, from a parking lot), it is recommended to engage the 1st gear, move it a bit and then shift to reverse"

I have no idea why on earth this has to be done? Any idea petrolheads?
I do the same with my OHC 1.5 . Sometimes the reverse gear refuses to engage at standstill. So i just shift on to a different gear and then try the reverse and it slots in alright. I don't roll the car, just shift to any other gear.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:03   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In olden days, one of my classmates who had a brochure of an MB, (I think its an 'E', Im not sure about the model as he wouldn't show it to me), claims that to enquire about an MB you need to show your Income Certificate.

I thought my nostalgic memory would fit in this thread. I'm sure you guys must have heard even more ridiculous comments in your school life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Pretty sure Mercedes doesn't do this, otherwise how will they sell any C classes . But my friend claimed just last week that he checked with one of his patients, a Rolls Royce dealer, on whether the buying process is as "exclusive" as some claim. The dealer concurred: apparently if you want to book a Rolls, you need to call up the showroom and provide all your contact details then wait for the dealership to get back to you with an "appointment". You cannot just walk into the dealership in shorts and sandals (like I am wont to do!) and demand a TD. Apparently these guys run a background check on you to determine your "Rolls-worthiness" and then invite you to the showroom. My friend asked, what about those guys who are deemed UNworthy? Apparently the staff is skilled enough that they will give you an appointment far in the future, or never at all, so that you take the hint or lose interest!

I would never compromise my self-respect that way so guess am not buying a Rolls in this lifetime
Old 30th August 2010, 13:20   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Pretty sure Mercedes doesn't do this, otherwise how will they sell any C classes . But my friend claimed just last week that he checked with one of his patients, a Rolls Royce dealer, on whether the buying process is as "exclusive" as some claim. The dealer concurred: apparently if you want to book a Rolls, you need to call up the showroom and provide all your contact details then wait for the dealership to get back to you with an "appointment". You cannot just walk into the dealership in shorts and sandals (like I am wont to do!) and demand a TD. Apparently these guys run a background check on you to determine your "Rolls-worthiness" and then invite you to the showroom. My friend asked, what about those guys who are deemed UNworthy? Apparently the staff is skilled enough that they will give you an appointment far in the future, or never at all, so that you take the hint or lose interest!

I would never compromise my self-respect that way so guess am not buying a Rolls in this lifetime
Ha Ha!!
I got turned away from RR at ashoka in delhi once!
but was surprisingly entertained when i tried my luck again for lamborghini.
no TD(oh snap!!).just a walkaround.
but have seen both of them hundreds of times from where i used to live.shanti path was a favorite TD road for them.
They used to park right after the railway museum flyover, and roar away when the road emptied a bit!!!

as for mercs,I also recall some checks as to income the first time they came t0 india.
PS:was in school, so not very worldly, so believed it.
Old 30th August 2010, 13:27   #474
BHPian

Quote:
"When reversing a car just after starting (say, from a parking lot), it is recommended to engage the 1st gear, move it a bit and then shift to reverse"
I have no idea why on earth this has to be done? Any idea petrolheads?
Apart from the technical reasons, many chauffeurs do this because its a good omen to move the vehicle forward than backward before starting on a journey. Mostly for good luck.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:35   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Apart from the technical reasons, many chauffeurs do this because its a good omen to move the vehicle forward than backward before starting on a journey. Mostly for good luck.
Which is so very true. Every driver in our house from the past 30 years has told me this ...
Old 30th August 2010, 15:46   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This is indeed true for quite a few cases (especially for santro IIRC), when the reverse gear refuses to engage from standstil. 1st gear - roll a few cms, and then engage the reverse gear smoothly seems to be the solution (same problem sometimes happen for my uncle's gen2 Wagon R)
This usually happens if you shift from forward gear to the reverse gear while keeping the clutch pedal pressed. However, if you shift from forward gear to neutral, release clutch pedal, press it again and then shift to reverse, you won't see the problem. Yes, it has to do with the lack of sychromesh on the reverse gear.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:27   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
I do the same with my OHC 1.5 . Sometimes the reverse gear refuses to engage at standstill. So i just shift on to a different gear and then try the reverse and it slots in alright. I don't roll the car, just shift to any other gear.
Add me to the list too. This happens in my alto most of the time, making sounds whenever i try to engage reverse so i just follow what LNK already said as i don't want to damage the gear or worse hear the krrr... sound.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:48   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
+1. Even my father does this every time.

Another thing I have been told is that when you park the car (for more than a few minutes), the front tires should always be pointing straight ahead. Are there any technical reasons behind this?
Old 30th August 2010, 17:57   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

Another thing I have been told is that when you park the car (for more than a few minutes), the front tires should always be pointing straight ahead. Are there any technical reasons behind this?
I was told to-eventually learnt the hard way- turn the wheels towards the wall/curb when parked on an incline..............
Old 30th August 2010, 18:20   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I was told to-eventually learnt the hard way- turn the wheels towards the wall/curb when parked on an incline..............

The corect way to park is to keep the wheels inside the wheel wells - if on flat ground.

I was taught the following rules for parking on a hill:
  • On a sloping driveway, turn the wheels so the car will not roll into the street if the brakes fail.
  • Headed downhill, turn your front wheels into the curb or toward the side of the road. Set the parking brake.
  • Headed uphill, turn your front wheels away from the curb and let your vehicle roll back a few inches. The wheel should gently touch the curb. Set the parking brake.
  • Headed either uphill or downhill and there is no curb, turn the wheels so the car will roll away from the center of the road if the brakes fail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks