Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 10:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

No idea about percolator, but have anybody tried the Citizen coffee maker or anything similar, where the decoction is distilled in to a separate container? It is very good and saves quite an amount of coffee powder, but goes kaput pretty soon due to scaling in the tubes. Caused by the hardness of drinking water, happened in Chennai and also at Bangalore. May be it will help if we use bottled mineral water?

Anyway, after junking two coffee makers, I am back to the good old filter now.
Old 14th July 2010, 11:14   #107
Team-BHP Support

When I was in bangalore I bought a coffee filter for 50rs, and used to make filter coffee using fine coffee sourced from coorg/chikmangalur etc.,
Sure western coffee(coffee day style) is good, and had a lot of it when I was in the US, but nothing beats the delicate aroma of filter coffee.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:30   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post

Percolator on the other hand has a permanent filter which can be cleaned with needle pokes and used again & again... only thing that might need replacement is rubber washer, for which they have spares. It can be used for both coarse and fine ground coffee. Takes about 5 mins to make strong decoction for 3 cups!

So coming from a traditional filter, which one would be a better choice ??
I too am in the same dilemma. However, I think what you're referring to is a Moka Pot. That's what I saw at the local CCD.

Moka (coffee pot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 14th July 2010, 12:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
It may feel strange but I had the habit of preparing the decoction, cooling it and keeping it in fridge. Whenever I needed coffee, I use to use the cold decoction, I found it be super strong than the immediate use of decoction.
Many people keep the decoction in the fridge for future use. It stays fresh upto a day but becomes a bit stale afte that. I prefer freshly made decoction every time.

Murthy
Old 14th July 2010, 13:02   #110
BANNED

I grew up on filter coffee, due to the fact my mum was from Germany, when i moved to India 2 years back I was shocked that mostly Nescafe was being consumed even their gold blend isn't the best in instant coffee. tata have recently launched a new instant coffee called aveo or something similar, an improvement to nescafe definatly but not a touch on good old filter coffee. Personaly I use the chickory mix instant coffee at home as it reduces the bitterness from the regular nescafe blend, I think it's time to upgrade to filter coffee!
Old 14th July 2010, 17:47   #111
BHPian

i am a tea guy , just hate the smell of coffee no offence to anyone .However all my folks at home enjoy their filter coffee ,i used to buy the coffe powder every month after waiting in the long queue for 1/2 hr or more from Leo's Coffee, guys from chennai would know . The blend was fixed 400gms plantain A & 100 gms peabury and everyone had their own blend . Individual blends are roasted & ground in old fashioned atta chaki .

Every morning starts with strong filter coffee mixed with milk , i think most europeans love their coffee neat without milk . My french boss was particular about his coffee and used to gulp atleast 12-15 cups of extra strong double filtered shots which were only 20-30ml .
Old 14th July 2010, 21:11   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have never seen anyone drinking the decoction neat! Black coffee is different, it is not a concentrate.
I couldn't get; I thought decoction & black coffee are one at the same isn't it?

Quote:
I have taken black coffee at CCD and it was no good. In fact, I did not like any of the coffees there. Nowhere near the taste of home made or HSB coffee.
The black coffee at CCD is real good, if you want to keep your sleep away. It really works!!! Yes, the coffee with milk at CCD is no where close to home made or HSB coffee for sure.

Quote:
I have a feeling most of the customers at CCD merely pretend to like the coffee, unwilling to accept it is no good after paying hefty prices!

I like to have a simple & plain cold coffee from there; its good.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:38   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I couldn't get; I thought decoction & black coffee are one at the same isn't it?
Nope. Decoction is far more concentrated than black coffee. You could mix decoction with hot water to get black coffee.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:02   #114
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks for the explaining the difference.
@Gansan Sir - Yes, in that case, sorry to say, I like drinking decoction in US . I somehow find its much different there, may be because most coffee powders sold in US are blended & taste good. Just guessing, I could be wrong though.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:01   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^Thanks for the explaining the difference.
@Gansan Sir - Yes, in that case, sorry to say, I like drinking decoction in US . I somehow find its much different there, may be because most coffee powders sold in US are blended & taste good. Just guessing, I could be wrong though.
Where do you drink decoction in the US? I have never seen decoction available in a coffee shop in the US?

If you are referring to espresso - then that's not the same as decoction. espresso is made by pressure, whereas filter coffee decoction is made by gravity.

If you are referring to regular drip black coffee, that's again not decoction because it's not as concentrated as filter coffee decoction, though the principle of making it is similiar. If you own a drip coffee machine at home in the US (costs anywhere between 7$ to 30-40$), that's again just drip coffee - far less concentrated than decoction.

If you are referring to Americano - again that's just espresso diluted with hot water.

At a very high level filter coffee decoction diluted with hot water is similiar to the drip coffee made by a drip coffee machine. (like a Black Decker or Morphy Richard or Citizen or Prestige coffee machine sold in India - which costs anywhere between 1000 to 4000 Rs. Both taste very similiar.
Old 15th July 2010, 09:54   #116
BHPian

We use Percolator / Moka Pot for over 20 years now - the decoction is stronger than what we get from the Filters.
Yes, earlier it was mostly Aluminium/Hindalium, but these days you get Steel ones from stores like MK Ahmed.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:18   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
So coming from a traditional filter, which one would be a better choice ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
We use Percolator / Moka Pot for over 20 years now - the decoction is stronger than what we get from the Filters.
I agree in most cases a Percolator will brew a stronger cup than a french press. If you are getting a percolator get a stove top one. I have used a stove top one and a electric DeLonghi and the stove top one made a better cup. I still have that DeLonghi somewhere.

Currently this is what we do.

If we have company and need to offer variations like a cappacino etc.. we use a Jura F50.

On Sunday morns and when I have more time I use an old aluminum stove top percolator like the ones made fomous by Bialetti. My wife will oftne join me on these days.

Most days for my morning cuppa I used a glass french press that makes 2 cups (my cup is about 2 regular cup). I actually grind a fresh lot of beans every morning at about 5:30 waking the house to smell of coffee.

I also have a all metal 4 cup Bodum french press that I use only for show off. The nice thing is that this press is part vaccum flask so keeps the coffe warm longer.

You needto use all 5 senses to appreciate coffee. Smell, Feel, Taste, Sight (ever compare a bean from say New Guniea and Venezuela to say the stuff that comes from Mauna Loa/Hualalai), and Sound (the way a coffee bean breaks in a grinder).

I really dont care for the extra bold Java, Kenya, Sumatran beans. They are nice for a change but too syrupy (Mahdeling) or acidic for everyday use. I guess it is a matter of taste.

I get some of my coffee from Pete's (Ucubuja, Tarazu, Santos, Antigua etc..) and some flavoured (for my wife) from the Bad *** Cofee Company (Kona). Pete's ships only within the US so you need friends to carry it in. Zaccardis ships around the world but shipping costs are crazy. Bad *** sends me a custom roast (I have friends there) once a year which I ration out for myself (even my wife does not get to drink this - she has the flavoureds).
Old 15th July 2010, 12:20   #118
BHPian

Never knew that petrol heads could also talk about the variations of making coffee.

There is nothing like having a hot mug of coffee or tea ( I take both) and sitting in the verandah watching the rains fall on the fields or the backwaters of kerala!! Thats a blissful state.

Not taking the coffee or tea from the coffee machines at office and having to complete the next report or plan....
Old 16th July 2010, 09:35   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Never knew that petrol heads could also talk about the variations of making coffee...
There is enough evidence to show that I know very little about petrol or engine-vengine.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

I personally prefer coffee powder blended with chicory (no more than 10 - 20% max) over plain coffee. Makes a stronger brew. The good ones are Cothas, Narasu's Udhayam and Coorg, in that order. Among them Cothas is easily the best, but not available in Chennai now.

I was at Bangalore yesterday to attend a function but could not find time to slip away and buy it. Arrived at 4.00 A.M and left by 2.30 P.M., no time for anything at all!

Last edited by Gansan : 16th July 2010 at 09:54.

Most Viewed