Old 13th July 2010, 09:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

wonderful discussion. This is for all coffee lovers

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-dsc_3817.jpg
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 10:03   #92
BHPian

+1 to Gansan.
It only takes about 5 mins on these filters to drip the decoction, reheating would run the taste.

What a timing for this thread Sam!
I bought Arabica coffee powder (from CCD) over the weekend, thinking of putting the filter to good use. I failed in most of the attempts to make a good coffee, but after reading the thread my wifey succeeded in making The Filter Coffee

For the CCD Arabica, I used 3 spoons of coffee powder with half a cup of boiling water to make a good decoction.

ThankYou Sam.
Old 13th July 2010, 10:08   #93
Senior - BHPian

@ghodlur
If the decoction is kept for the entire day, it will naturally be at room temperature. Pour in the required quantity of it in the cup, add sugar and then add the required quantity of milk which is hot enough to compensate for the temperature of the decoction.

No need to keep decoction in the fridge, it is enough if we keep it in a closed container. In case it is kept in the fridge, take it out much before making the coffee so that it will attain room temperature.

We normally prepare decoction once in the morning and again in the afternoon.

@rkbharat
Nice photo. Which place is this?

Last edited by Gansan : 13th July 2010 at 10:10.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:08   #94
Senior - BHPian

Ive been on a diet of Folgers dark roast for about 10 years now. Have never been able to have nescofi since. Black & Decker sells some very good coffee machines.

Coffee preparation is more like meditation.. if you take interest in it. It gets you into a zone when you begin to smell that aroma.

The black coffee at CCd is terrible.
Barista fares much better... though I feel that the quality of coffee CCd sells has come dowwn quite a bit since they launched.

@RKBharat >> nice pic.. coffee with a view!!
Old 13th July 2010, 13:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

@Bharat - That's a fantastic view & yes, thanks for sharing with us & it looks very tempting indeed.
From all this discussion, now I understand why I find the coffee (the decoction) in US to be much much better, infact I drink without milk in US, compared to the one in India.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:54   #96
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not one who is fussy about the brand or type of coffee. But what I do know is the best coffee in Mumbai is served at Manis & Sharda Bhavan (both typical South Indian restaurants). Unbelievably refreshing, and beats CCD / Barista hands down!
Old 13th July 2010, 14:43   #97
BHPian

Cothas it is for me in Bangalore. Fantastic coffee powder mixed with Chicory and the mornings are ever pleasant. It is available at all supermarkets across the city. Here is the link for more info:

Cothas
Old 13th July 2010, 15:17   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
From all this discussion, now I understand why I find the coffee (the decoction) in US to be much much better, infact I drink without milk in US, compared to the one in India.
I have never seen anyone drinking the decoction neat! Black coffee is different, it is not a concentrate.

I have taken black coffee at CCD and it was no good. In fact, I did not like any of the coffees there. Nowhere near the taste of home made or HSB coffee.

I have a feeling most of the customers at CCD merely pretend to like the coffee, unwilling to accept it is no good after paying hefty prices!
Old 13th July 2010, 15:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have a feeling most of the customers at CCD merely pretend to like the coffee, unwilling to accept it is no good after paying hefty prices!
Well, people go there for the ambiance and time pass, rather than their coffee.
Old 13th July 2010, 19:15   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Don't be surprised at the title.
And that's why I'm writing this. It's no gourmet guide to good coffee.
And so we begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Where can you buy roasted coffee beans?
I am very lucky. I am able to buy roasted coffee beans from the COffee Board itself located right next to my office.

Coffee Board,
No 395 B&C, Lamington Road,
Mumbai -400 004
Phone : 022-23821549

Ask and insisit that they sell you roasted beans by the kilo.

Remember, the trick is to buy roasted coffee beans. You will never be able to roast them the right way at home..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
A great guide to making coffee Sam !!
Sam you started this without tell me?

Kya bhoolgya?

Coffee board will tell you 1/2 kg prepacks of what they call 100% peaberry but is really 70% (the rest is robusta). For the price it is best VFM roasted bean in INdia today. Too bad the bags are simple plastic bags so unless you have nice aluminum foiled lined vaccum bags dont get more than 1/2 kg it will loose flavour fast.

I enjoy my coffee making process. It is a morning ritual that starts at 5:30am.

I get a coffee roasted by Nandanvan estate, near Kodaikanal in TamilNadu. It retails for about about Rs. 800 for 250gms. Mr. Mariwala is developing some less expensive blends (these will only be available only in powder as they are blends not single plantation bean) as well. The new blends will be designed to work in machines (Jura, Barista, etc..) as well as french presses. I have no commercial interest in this plantation but I believe I will be involved in the tasting processes.

The bigger guys (BBTC, Wayanad, Sahyadri, Balmaadi, etc..) wont do custom roasts or blends and others like naandi (::Naandi Foundation: are so caught up with their social agendas and other issues that they dont monitor the process. Nandanvan starts with a high grown bean and dry roasts the coffee under controlled conditions not on the highway (where trucks and cars can drive over it).

Marc Tormo (of Mocca Cafe fame) sells his coffee through Good Earth but CONTRARY to what the label tells you this coffee is NOT ORGANIC. Besides the tasting I had at Good Earth told me that the coffee was not 100% Arabica and had atleast 20% (maybe as high as 30%) of Robusta mixed in it.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2010, 19:40   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Ive been on a diet of Folgers dark roast for about 10 years now.
I have had a lot of Folgers in the US, but didn't know they are available in India also. Folgers is good as compared to Instant Coffee, but I believe you will enjoy freshly roasted coffee even better. Problem with branded coffee like Folgers is that they are roasted, packed, they are transported, lie with distributors, in shops etc, so typically by the time you get it home, it's quite some time since it's been roasted & ground.
So if you prefer Folgers to Nescafe, it's almost sure that you would enjoy coffee purchased from a local roaster fresh.
Old 14th July 2010, 08:41   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have had a lot of Folgers in the US, but didn't know they are available in India also. Folgers is good as compared to Instant Coffee, but I believe you will enjoy freshly roasted coffee even better. Problem with branded coffee like Folgers is that they are roasted, packed, they are transported, lie with distributors, in shops etc, so typically by the time you get it home, it's quite some time since it's been roasted & ground.
So if you prefer Folgers to Nescafe, it's almost sure that you would enjoy coffee purchased from a local roaster fresh.
Well with all this information about the roasted beans.. im tempted to try it out. However, it pains me to think what will happen of my trusted beautiful Black n Decker that I really enjoy using due to its convenience.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:05   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Well with all this information about the roasted beans.. im tempted to try it out. However, it pains me to think what will happen of my trusted beautiful Black n Decker that I really enjoy using due to its convenience.
I am not sure I understand. Why will BlackNDecker not work with locally roasted/ground coffee.
Old 14th July 2010, 09:06   #104
Senior - BHPian

Every time I see this thread I smell fresh coffee ! and then I have to have it ! My manager is gonna kill me when I sneak out!
Old 14th July 2010, 10:27   #105
BHPian

Percolator Vs French Press

After using traditional "Filter" for quite a long time, me and my wife decided we ll try out something different, may be a percolator or French Press, which are available in Coffee day.

After a quick visit to a few CCDs near our home & a small chat with the seller there, we have a few doubts.

The seller was suggesting the percolator instead of french press, reason ->
  1. In the French Press, there is quite some chance that coffee (if finely ground) might seep in through the filter and mix with the decoction, which might not taste well
  2. The friction between the filter mesh & the glass beaker will cause a little wear out & stains of brown coffee, which over time doesnt look good & might cause gaps for the coffee to find its way in decoction again !
  3. Once the filter is damages or needs replacement, its time to change the whole thing
Percolator on the other hand has a permanent filter which can be cleaned with needle pokes and used again & again... only thing that might need replacement is rubber washer, for which they have spares. It can be used for both coarse and fine ground coffee. Takes about 5 mins to make strong decoction for 3 cups!

So coming from a traditional filter, which one would be a better choice ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks